What do you guys think of this TV?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FadeToBlack, Jan 22, 2008.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

The time has finally come for me to get an HDTV for my room. Since my room is small, I figure a 19" or 20" should be all I need. That's good, since I'm on a limited budget, anyway.

I've been looking at Wal Mart's Online store. I'd like to get one there, so that I could take it back to our local Wal Mart if something went wrong. (very small town....Wal Mart and Radio Shack are pretty much my only options, unless I wanna drive 70 miles.)

I'm looking at this one in particular:

Sanyo 19" HDTV

As you can see, it has a built-in HD tuner, (which doesn't really matter to me, since this TV will be used almost entirely for gaming) and it also says it has HDMI in the Specifications, but doesn't mention it in the item description. That worries me. I wouldn't wanna get it and realize it doesn't have HDMI.

We have a Sanyo SDTV in our living room (Yes, I still live with my parents. :p) and haven't had any trouble out of it, so I'm not too concerned about the brand name.

My only concern is the HDMI thing.

I'm just wondering what y'all think. This TV is right around my price range, but if anyone knows of a better TV for a bit more money, then I'd consider that. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks!

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I can spend more. I was just attracted to the cheap price of this TV. Got any suggestions for something around $350-400?

4. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

HDTV's are suppose to be 16:9, not 16:10. This set will make all HD programming look slightly oval.

5. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Nice catch. I wasn't aware of that.

I have a limited selection since I'm in a small town and I honestly don't feel like driving 70 miles to take it back if something goes wrong. I'd rather buy one on Amazon, but again, I wouldn't want to have to go through the hassle of packing it up and sending it back, then waiting for a refund. I sent some speakers back that were defective and it took like 2-3 weeks before I got my refund, which sucked. I really wish I wasn't limited to buying at Wal Mart. :mad:

What about this Vizio?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Vizio is better, I would look somewhere in the 500-700 range, you might spend a bit more but it will last longer.

Agreed on the 16:10, don't want that odd aspect ratio.

7. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

We have a Vizio in our Kitchen (yes I am at home during college breaks and on some weekends) and I love the picture. It pretty much beat everything around it, and we have had no complains so far. Great picture, size, sound, and inputs.

8. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I got a decent Hannspree 32" LCD from buy.com for ~$500. I didn't buy it to be some awesome home theater level TV, but it's a nice tv for $500, and it looks nice.

9. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and get that Vizio. Seems about the best I can do in my price range and it should at least last me 'til I move out of my parents' house, which is still a ways off. :cool:

10. prenzelberger macrumors newbie

Hannspree, Vizio ..... my gosh, whatever happened to good old American brands like Panasonic, Sony, or Toshiba? ;)

Honestly, though, 19" is really small. I bet you'd be outgrowing it in no time at all, and price wise, there isn't much difference either.
    Go big, young man!

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Last time I had to return something to Amazon (an external HD that wouldn't turn on), I filled out the "return" form on their website, and the new HD was mailed out the next day. I only had to return the busted HD within 2 weeks (I think, might have been 3) in order to not get charged double on my credit card.

IOW, if you're worried about the product being defective; don't. Amazon will take care of you. If you're worried that you won't like the product once it gets there, that's a different story.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Either way Wal-mart should take it. Say you got it as a gift :D

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A 19 wide screen is not the same as a standard 19 inch TV. It will look a lot smaller. I agree in going bigger.

14. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I went bigger. :eek:

Ended up going down to Wal Mart earlier today and picked up this .

Haven't got to test it out that much yet, but from what I've seen so far, the 360 looks great on it. A LOT easier to read the menus, etc., than my old 27" CRT. It's a dramatic improvement. I've still gotta use it more, though. I only played for around 30 minutes or so. Gonna go test it out some more now.

FYI, I looked at the 19" models they had in the store and as stated above, they looked way too small. It'd be okay for a kitchen or something, maybe, but I don't think I would have been happy with it in my room.

15. prenzelberger macrumors newbie

You did okay.
    Samsung makes good panels and while I can't judge pricing from here in Euro-Land ;), the fact that you can take it back to your local store, should it be needed, is worth something as well.

enjoy!