All iPads What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Klae17, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Prediction:

Apple sells the older ipad mini for $299. No color options this go around besides grey and silver.

New iPad mini $399, Retina, m7, touch id, a7, 1Gb of ram. 16gb storage. Grey, silver, and gold.

Full screen iPad at $499, 2gb ram, A7x, touch id, 32gb storage to start. All new metal colors.

2. MauerFan macrumors regular

If they started the 32gb iPad at $499 I'd get one in an instant. Seems doubtful though.

3. Macalway macrumors 68020

I 'think' , your whistlin in the dark

But, having said that, they aren't neva going to keep the present model, no chance of that. None, nada.

Just ain't in the cards. (A little whistlin of me own) ;)

4. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

I see low end @ 16GB sticking around for at least one more revision.
    I'd get a 256GB iPad in a heartbeat though.

5. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

mini first generation will probably discontinue come October (just like iPhone 5), and a second generation mini will be sold at the same price $329

The mini profit margins are already lower than what Apple wants, no way they would discount it further.

6. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

They will be losing even more profit on the retina if they did what you predict and make more on the retina if they did it my prediction.

----------

Unfortunately I agree.

----------

They might just to have a sub $299. And they need more than $329 for a retina with all those improvements.

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

If anyone can tell me what they did when the Retina iPad 3 came out, that might answer some questions. I know they offer the iPad 2 now, and the iPad 4. But what did they do then?

8. Devlin234 macrumors member

I'm pretty confident the next gen mini will unfortunately have an A6 processor.

9. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

I really can't see the mini or full size getting touch id. It just isn't as useful on a tablet, you aren't unlocking your tablet all the time. Same with the m7 co processor, you don't carry your tablet everywhere or exercise so why would they need that included?

10. matttye macrumors 601

Apple makes a ridiculous amount of profit by charging an extra £100/$100 for each storage level. Doubtful that they'll do anything to compromise that (like phase out 16GB)..

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I agree. The vast majority of users (ma and pa's; not the folks here) probably never fill up their 16GB's. At some point in the future thy may cater to the enthusiasts by adding a 256GB on top of the existing option ladder.

12. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

semi agreed with you that apple already got lower profit because Mini outsell fullsized but i doubt they would discontinue 1st gen. Im sure they would just discontinue the black color and replace with space grey. 1st gen is highly popular unlike Iphone 5 which has too many problems.

Apple will not lower the price of first gen though, because 2nd gen with retina and 1G ram plus A7 will cost us USD 399. Ipad 5 will start at 529 for 16GB or if they could introduce 32GB as lowest capacity at 599 with highest capacity of 256GB. Ipad mini will only have 16, 32 and 64. So if you want a 16GB tablet, mini is the only choice.

13. daywiz macrumors regular

No way Apple is going to raise the prices of either iPads. History speaking, Apple other retains or drops prices.

The ipad Mini retina isn't going to replace the iPad 2 ( it doesn't make sense) Sizes are different to start with.
    What's more possible is that Mini retina, if it does come will slate in $329 (wifi only) and the the Mini will shift to perhaps $279-$299 bracket. Whether they are going to make that the first gen or a newer updated A6 model non-retina Mini is anybody's bet.

There is still the outside chance that Apple may drop the price of the full size and get it to start @ $399 for 16gb, $499 for 32gb, etc. If no, They aren't going to increase the price but retain the $499 for 16gb, and so on. The mini may continue to be sold in configurations maxed to 64gb, but I have my doubts. The mini is essientially the ipad in a smaller size, so apps will have the same size, so you can't really tell people that u can only have that much space because u got a smaller screen.

then comes the possibility of the A6/A6X being updated to fit into the 28nm process or a more refined 32nm process ( similar to what happened to the A5), helping it become a more power efficient model that can perhaps slot into the Mini Retina.

And why would Apple drop the 16gb, and start the ipad @ 32gb from $599, making it ridiculously expensive to buy.

14. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Semi agree with you too lol. I doubt Apple fullsize will start at 32, we all thought 5s would start that trend but it didn't.

Reason I say first gen iPad mini will get discontinued because towards the end of the day it's all about cost of manufacturing and profit. Apple can use all colors in the 5c but the real reason they dropped the 5 and put the 5c in the spot the 5 should have taken is the cost of manufacturing. iPad mini is also expensive and hard to manufacture, even more than its older sibling.

15. mripadmini macrumors regular

mripadmini

I think it's 50/50 that they will drop it. If they drop it they going to piss off people like me who just bought mine in late February or march and has no plans to upgrade but if they do I will have no choice to. It is true that you can trade in your older model ipad for a new one and pay the difference?

16. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

u mentioned "history" history of when Jobs was still the ceo. U see how first Ipad drop its price making way for Ipad 2 and Ipad 2 dropped price for Ipad 3. That just wont happen for mini. More than half the world thought iphone 5s will drop the price of Iphone 5 and have iphone 5c as mid range, u saw what happened. Cook is all profits. He would just try to drive up his gadget value and increase the price of Ipad whenever he can. Ipad 5 should start at 32GB on and new price. So now mini is the bench mark for 16GB. IF you can't afford 32, you have to buy the mini at not so cheap price either. That way Apple can still sell both fullsized and mini.

U can pretend that u dont feel now apple is all profits, no innovation. They are still relying on the os to sell stuff. Ipad 5 will probly just with ipad mini bezels and materials. Same tea in different cup.

17. daywiz macrumors regular

I fail to see, how Cook's policy is entirely different from Jobs. Agreed, Apple is trying to build profits, but you can see from history, that the introduction of the Mini was a big step in Apple's future of tablets. You must admit that it was worth it, as even Jobs admitted towards the end that smaller tablets are important.

It was everybody's presumption (including me!) that the iphone 5C would be a mid-tier, Apple never claimed they would make one. What they did is to cease the iphone 5 and replaced it with 5C so that it would help differentiate it from the more expensive 5S.

I can still bet that the iPad will not start at a new higher price. With the manufacturing costs being driven down, they can retain the prices and still achieve higher profits. If they do offer 32gb at $499, that's great. but I am 101% sure they aren't going to drop the 16gb for the full size ipad and start it from $579-$599 with a 32gb and leave the ipad mini Retina to start from $399 for 16gb, simply doesn't make any logical sense, and big vacuum in pricing structures.

Agreed that Apple hasn't really given us everything we expected or wanted, and their innovation has been stagnant to an extent. That said, there has been good incremental jumps in performance. Anyhow let's see how the Oct 15 or Oct 22nd even pans out. Hopefully, its going to beat our expectations.

18. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Wait, what!??!

Are you guys saying the new iPad 16GB coming out sometime this month will be $500??

19. bobright macrumors 601

Hasn't this been the normal price for launch full sized iPads in 32GB?

Edit: they are actually 599 and yeah no way they go for less than that

----------

I think so (for full sized ones) forgot about the prices there for awhile as I've only bought one iPad before and that was a 3rd gen.

Here are the prices for the current models, don't see them changing.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

20. zunairryk macrumors regular

I'd definitely pre-order ipad mini with retina display if Apple price is at $329. I would probably still end up ordering even if it is $399 lol. Really hoping they keep their current price point :)

21. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Um dude that is because these iPads have been out for awhile now. When they first dropped the 16GB was $600+ at least.

22. bobright macrumors 601

No way seriously?? I got my iPad 3rd gen (32 GB) at launch and don't remember paying more than $599. I thought the 16 GB were always around $499 at launch.

23. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Check your receipt. I bought my 16Gb 4th gen iPad back in Feb. for $500.

24. bobright macrumors 601

Oh yeah I agree with that what I was saying no way to was when you said the 16GB was 600+

I have only owned a 3rd gen so I guess when the 1st gen launched that was the starting price? Basically like I said before they'll be priced most likely what the current ones are now and the current line drops to a lower refurb price isn't that how it's always been?

----------

Yes (Wi-fi). :D

25. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

One good reason for Apple to increase iPad storage space is if it allows them to sell more iCloud space for folks to back up all that storage.

I'm sure there's someone at Apple that has run those numbers.