What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vol7ron, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Vol7ron macrumors 6502

Vol7ron

During the 2009 WWDC keynote we all remember when the new Macbook Pro's got refreshed and what not. I ordered the 17in with the upgraded Processor and the 7200rpm drive and the glossy display. Since that time, the display was replaced within 2 months of purchase due to a white spot on the panel, and the mother board was replaced due to a USB port no longer working. Just in the past 2 weeks, i had a dead pixel appear on the unit so i brought it in and Apple agreed to replace the display without any hassle. In the repair process, the wifi ceased to function. They tried to replace the wifi card to no success and then ended up replacing the disply once more with the same results. The option they presented me with yesterday was to replace the unit with one of the stock 17in Macbook Pro's in the store.

Now my complaint with it is that no matter which option i choose, i am getting somewhat ripped off. If i went with the i5 model in the store, then i get the glossy display, the i5 cpu and the 5400rpm drive. the i7 route, i get the matte display, i7 cpu and the 5400rpm drive. They told me that they could send it to apple and see if apple would send back an i7 with the glossy display and the 7200rpm drive, but said the chances of that were slim because a stock model is more comparable to my previous gen macbook pro.

As i explained to him, i would technically be excepting an inferior computer (despite the fact that the i5 would be faster then the 3.0 Ghz C2D) in terms of hard drive and the matte display. While he understood, he said there was nothing he could do.

So my question is, does this seem right? If i spent $3000 on a macbook pro, then i should get the same system select options that i selected for last year's model. Interested to hear your thoughts....

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I think it comes down to the business view of cost. What you paid for your 2009 MBP in 2009 is irrelevant. It's a sunk cost, because the value it has in 2010 doesn't care about what you paid for it.

Now comparing the value of your 2009 MBP to the cost of a stock 17", they'd be doing you a favor. Your 2009 MBP might be worth $2,000, at best. Keep in mind that value is equal to what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you think it's worth.

The stock 17" costs $2,300 +tax, that's also its value, because people are willing to pay that price. It isn't used, nor has it been taken apart and put back together a few times. It has a faster processor than your old one.

You might not be happy with what I'm saying or their offer, because you spent $3,000 on your old MBP. However, considering everything above, that's a pretty good offer from them to try to make you happy.

3. Vol7ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Vol7ron

i understand your point fully, but where my biggest issue lies is that i now have to go and put a faster hard drive in the system now because the stock one isn't powerful enough to do multi track audio recording. The CPU i can understand as even the base one will be faster then what i have. But for components like the display and the hard drive, it should be identical.

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Obviously, you're not okay with their offer. I think you should go back and ask for someone who can do something about it. Getting a second opinion will either get you what you want or give you another piece of closure on the whole thing.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Perhaps you could take your HDD our of your current computer, go with the i5, and there you have exactly what you want

6. menomano macrumors member

Why cant you just ask them to give you the stock glossy 17" with the 5400rpm drive and you take your existing drive and swap it out before turning in the old laptop?

alust beat me to it.

7. Vol7ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Vol7ron

I had asked them if they would be willing to swap the drive out or swap the screen out. The answer was that they couldn't do that for either model. Either way, i will most likely accept the i5 with the glossy display and the 5400rpm drive. I was just curious as to what others had thought.

8. CapFusion macrumors newbie

I believe you're too focus on the $$$ factor that you have already spend and trying to satisfy the offer by comparing what you're about to get and about to lose.

What they offer is a better -
    - i5 or i7 with glossy screen (faster CPU compare to your old rid)

What you lost -
    - 7200RPM drive

You can get a faster and higher capacity drive than your old drive. You just re-image from your backup. And now you have an upgraded system by spending on a new drive. Overall you have a cheap upgrade current system.

9. Vol7ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Vol7ron

true, it would have to be an i5 cause the i7 only came in matte display (and i really dislike the matte)

I'll be honest here and say that whatever the end outcome, i am extremely grateful that i essentially get a new computer.

10. rafatmit macrumors newbie

Since when does the i7 only come with a matte screen? The default is the glossy, with the HR glossy a BTO option and the HR matte a BTO or in-store option.

Edited to add: Oops, never mind, that's the 15. But there's still a glossy 17....