what do you guys use as a car charger/craddle?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by polobreaka, Sep 17, 2009.

1. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

there isnt much discussion about a car charger/craddle/dock. ive seen a couple of post about the ebay ones that offer handsfree/fm transmitter but not much review.

im looking for car charger/craddle/handsfree type dock. i saw the griffin one, pretty expensive. what else is out there in the market?

EDIT: please post your vehicle and type of dock/setup/handsfree system, and a picture would help a million times

some people have really nice setup. it would be nice for others searching for a specific setup to get an idea here.

i have a 2002 subaru wrx, just a universal windows suction holder, factory radio with cassette line in adapter. looking to change up my setup for easier to use and not having so many wires dangling around.

thanks!

2. billrobert macrumors newbie

YOU ARE TRY THE SOLAR IPHONE CASE ITS CHARGE YOUR Battery

Attached Files:

3. JUSTQUAN macrumors member

do you have this case? if so let me know your pros and cons...

4. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Clearly it's spam--although, hey, this one could be interesting somehow.

6. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i use and iGo charger and put the phone in the center console cup holder while charging.

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

DLO TransDock Direct is what I use. I'd used the DLO TransPod with my first mini all the way up until I got a 2G Touch and it was no longer a "supported accessory," and then I made the switch to the TransDock. LOVE IT.

Apparently, they're now calling it an AuxDock. They do make a version that contains an FM transmitter; thank God I don't need one of those. ;) It doesn't specifically mention the iPhone as being compatible with it (I assume it's because of the lack of Bluetooth functionality or whatever), but I've used my iPhone on it numerous times without incident. I normally use my nano in the car, though, simply because it's lighter and I can use the click wheel without taking my eyes off of the road.

8. Geo3G macrumors newbie

I bought the apple dock with remote control and added it to my existing iphone holder. So now it charges and has the aux hole straight to the stereo. So when the iphone light go off I use the remote to skip a son or go fast forward WITHOUT even touching the screen.

Keep in mind this dock is "suppose" to be for home use. But with a little modding it can be used in a car, and let me say it is nice! Much safer to just click the remote and not have to look at the screen.

9. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

I have a 2009 Honda Civic LX with an aux-in port right next to the lighter/power jack. Window is sloped pretty far away from the edge of the dash, so a window mount didn't seem viable to me. Also, I wanted to take advantage of the aux-in capability, to avoid using a radio based system. I went with the following.
    Bracketron Grip-It Mobile Device Holder
    Monster iCarCharger 200 for iPod and iPhone
    Both items work pretty well, and the vent mount puts my phone pretty much in line of sight for my turn by turn gps program.

10. SS109 macrumors member

I have an Apple 3G dock hardwired in my 08 Civic coupe.

11. = bluntman = macrumors regular

I use a Pro-Clip holder for my iPhone and a Griffin Autopilot to charge and to control the playback of the music (2004 Mazda 3).

12. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Do you have a picture?

13. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

i should've specify which car and what you guys use..it'll be easier for people to list their setup and can be informative for people looking for a dock/craddle charger/handsfree type set up. i will edit my 1st post.

14. SS109 macrumors member

I'll snap a few when I get home this afternoon.

There is a coin pocket right under the shifter that the dock sits in. I have the cables running inside the center console to an outlet in the center console storage and the audio cable up to the AUX input up front. It's a slick install, holds the phone securely and is easy to access. Only problem is that it's mounted low, so you might have trouble using a GPS program as you would have to look down.

15. SS109 macrumors member

Here we go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Cool install. How does that stay in when u take a sharp, fast turn or slam on the brakes?

17. SS109 macrumors member

The lip on the front of the dock is pinched between 2 sections of the console. I drive fairly spiritedly through a canyon to/from work and it does not move at all. If I were worried, I would just use some 3M double sided tape to anchor it, but for now it works just fine.

Now I just need to figure out how to mount a dock in my other car.

18. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

that looks pretty clean!

19. mobileinstall macrumors newbie

I have a lot of information about charging cradles and iphone carkits on my website here

http://www.mobileinstall.co.uk/iphone.html

A lot of new cars have a 3.5mm jack for connecting your iphone to play music through your hifi now but you do have to be careful with chargers that plug into the cigar lighter socket with a USB socket on them as many will not charge the new 3Gs

If you go with Griffin then their chargers are pretty good provided it is labelled iPhone compatable rather than just iPod you shouldn't come unstuck.

If you're using the car for your daily commute and you want to use the functions of your iPod through your car hi-fi then you can't beat the Parrot MKi system as it was designed just for this

There are various different options depending on whether you want

Just charging

Charging with music

Charging with handsfree

Charging with handsfree and music

Charging with handsfree music and TomTom Satnav

Its all explained here

Cheers...... Rick

20. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks rick! do you guys support US customers?

21. sjdigital macrumors regular

I use a Brodit cradle mounted around the air vent to the right of the steering wheel (UK, right hand drive car) and it's hard wired to a USASpec iPod adapter which is hooked up to the car audio system. This way I have full access to the iPod controls and also to the Navigon screen when using navigation. And the voice navigation instructions are routed through the car audio system. The only thing missing is an integrated phone connection as the iPhone doesn't route phone calls through the dock connector. But I'm holding off on a bluetooth kit until I can determine if there is an after market one that permits calls to be answered via the iPhone screen yet still routed through the BT device.

22. temetrepo macrumors member

temetrepo

23. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

ive been thinking about getting this one as well. a couple of users here have them. review says its pretty decent for its price. original company is named canada drive safe, these are all copies of it and supposily the knock offs have beeping sound do it...im not sure.

24. arod757 macrumors newbie

Here's what I use in my '06 Chevy Monte Carlo...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kensington LiquidAux and a mount I found on Ebay that mounts with double-sided 3m tape. I don't trust suction cup mounts. My old gps was always falling.

25. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

how does it hold up with heat? i used 3m double sided tape for my turbo timer and it falls off overtime.