What Do You Guys Use / Recommend For Preference Pane Plugins / Add Ons?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, Aug 20, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

So far mine looks like this..
    [​IMG]

First up there is Flip4Mac, letting you play Windows Movie files on your mac, it's nice to have. I use it about 5% of the time, but the nice thing is you never really have to "use" it, it just integrates into Quicktime.

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

Second in the list we have Growl, growl lets me know when something is happening, with a little box that will pop up on my screen.

For example, I am using cloud to upload the images, when they finish uploading, cloud has built in growl support. (other apps with this type of thing would be Web Browsers when downloads are finished, Mail Clients, Timers, Transmission, etc)

Here is what I see when an image is done uploading via cloud..
    (here is the link) http://growl.info/
    [​IMG]

Third we have Locktight
    I have it setup to that I can hit Cmd+Shift+W and my computer instantly goes to screensaver and "locks" (instant password on wake setting must be on)

I use this because I am in a college dorm, and leave my room quite often. A simple finger combo and I am assured no one is looking through my things.

http://www.gkoya.com/2006/11/23/locktight-for-mac-os-x-intel/

Fourth is mouse acceleration, this allows you to more finely tune and tweak your mouse speed and acceleration settings. I use this for gaming, since the mouse acceleration can mess you up.

(forgot the link so i uploaded it myself here)
    http://cl.ly/e3183940fcd7c4a2ce48

Lastly we have, Perian, which allows you to play many more AVI's and expansions that normally are playable with Osx via Quicktime. This way you seamlessly have many more formats you are able to play. Kind of like Flip4Mac, but with many many more.

So now I ask you guys, what do you use? Anything super cool you would like to share?? I don't care about money (sounds bad) so it doesn't need to be free or anything.

2. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

...same as yours, except:

NTFS for Mac: allows you to write NTFS drives.

SmartSleep: allows you to configure sleep state of your mac. Pretty neat as you mac goes a lot faster. Google it :)

3. Lokrado macrumors regular

I don't know how you guys take such neat screen shots with shadows and everything, but i wouldn't mind you telling me, nor how you get them not to be an attachment.. :D

Attached Files:

• lala.png
      lala.png
      File size:
      114.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Simmity macrumors newbie

Simmity

5. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Shift + Cmd + 4. Once you see the cross, press "Space" button and you will be able to select a window to make a screenshot.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Candelair, I'm a teacher so I use the remote a lot...

Attached Files:

7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Connect360
    Perian
    AppTrap
    NTFS-3G
    MacFUSE
    Growl

8. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Multiclutch, DivX, Flip4Mac, Geektool, Growl, AppTrap. They do all I need without any additonal flack. I'm thinking of removing DivX and Flip4Mac because VLC fufills those more than adequately.

9. Lokrado macrumors regular

Nifty! Thanks! :)

10. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Command+Shift+4+Space lets you take a screenshot of a single window with drop an alpha layer (drop shadow, transparency, etc).

11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

OH MY GOD! why do people constantly confuse the hardware forum with the software forum? this belongs in the mac os x software forum.