What do you guys use to clean your macbook pro screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hallor618, May 9, 2011.

1. hallor618 macrumors newbie

My screen is getting pretty dirty...Any suggestions?

2. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

3. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

4. hallor618 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

iKlear ONLY on all of my apple devices. Anything else simply won't do imo.

6. mtip macrumors member

I just wipe the screen with the included microfiber cloth to get rid of dust. For the occasional fingerprint on the glossy edges (from when I have been opening or closing the screen a bit carelessly) I breathe on the screen and then wipe with the cloth. Works fine.

Otherwise the screen doesn't need any cleaning as it doesn't get dirty at all.

For the rest of the machine I just use a slightly moist paper towel and then a dry one. No need for any fancy cleaning stuff IMO.

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

The included cloth is what I use on my screen. For everything else I use a slightly moist cotton t-shirt.

8. Srirama macrumors member

+1 for slightly moist cotton t-shirt
    Did that yesterday too.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

For glossy, just use household glass cleaner. No need to spend extra $. It's one of the reasons I put up w/ a glossy screen. For matte use iKlear or other special cleaner for plastic screens. Make sure it doesn't have alcohol or ammonia.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I don't even go that far. I heavily dampen a microfiber cloth and rub the screen down with it. Then use a dry microfiber cloth to dry and polish. Works great.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

12. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Smae here for me, I bought the extra large iKlear kit in an Apple store and we all use it on all of our MacBook Pro's and iPhone 4's well worth it, I think it was $29.99?

13. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

14. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

The last sentence is the important one. The ammonia is the problem.

If you don't know what is in the cleaner, you are better off using water. You do not need much. A good microfiber cloth just needs a touch.

15. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Spit and a dirty rag!

No, really. If it's glossy, then iKlear is great, or similar product. On the keys, etc. just a mild cleaner, or the same; iKlear. I admit that on my older MB I also used RainX. Worked well. Dust blew off, no fingerprints, etc. I also use it on my 2010 MBP, and it's great. Also use it on the trackpad [it's glass], so it's smooth, and doesn't get a lot of oils from your hand on it. Wipes off easily.

16. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

17. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I use this Phillips LCD cleaner solution with a microfiber cloth. Works really well.

18. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

You can also minimize the smudges on your machine if you use something like the ShaggyMac. It also doubles as a microfiber cloth. Smart.

19. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I know there are a lot of iKlear fans out there - I am not one of them. I find it leaves a residue on my previous matte screen MBP that is almost impossible to get rid of.

I used a moist cloth for tougher spots and the included cloth for everyday cleaning. Swiffer is great for getting rid of the dust, which I always do before cleaning.

20. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Matte screens are inherently hard to clean. I never found anything that kept me completely satisfied. Pec*Pads and distilled water seemed to work best.

21. altecXP macrumors 65816

I just use a low/no alcohol glasses cleaner that i got for $1 at my eye doctor.

It cleans the screen, keys and the body. I don't know why people pay for higher priced solutions, it's all just the same thing. It like paying $9 for a can of air instead of $4.

22. RockPortTech macrumors regular

+1 for me on this one too, it's what I do.

23. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

NO... Do not use glass cleaner on any LCD computer screen, whether it's matte or glossy!! The only chemicals you should use to clean a computer screen are either water or isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol...

Also never spray any chemicals directly on the screen, always spray it on the cloth and then wipe the screen.