what do you hate about the subway?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by machelp1010, Oct 20, 2008.

1. machelp1010 macrumors newbie

what do you hate about the subway?

what are some rules about subway etiquette?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Which subway? Manhattan? Chicago?

Manhattan's is pretty nice these days. They fixed a lot of it up. They're working on ours right now, so it's kind of a mess. I also wish we had a t least one conductor on the train to keep the riff-raff in order. I got on the train one morning and saw the back of an empty seat. I rushed to go get it, only to see a steaming pile of poo (I'm not kidding) on the seat. I then realized why it was the only seat available on the train. :(

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Had that happen to me as well. The Chicago subway is a mess since we are trying to update it to impress the IOC for 2016.

A couple simple rules:
    • Let people out of the car before trying to smash your way in
    • Give up your seat to the elderly and pregnant women
    • Don't take up extra seats with bags etc.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I don't hate it.

That being said, if everybody paid a little attention to what was going on around them things would move more smoothly.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Aside from Brown Line construction mayhem, I've had good experiences with Chicago's subway (and elevated trains) so far. There are occasionally gnawed buffalo wings bones on the floor on the train and stuff like that (no poop for me so far), and I did see one sketchy possibly mugging type of thing happen, but otherwise, I feel safe, they're reasonably reliable, they're cheap, and they're better than driving.

Otherwise just minor problems like missing route placards inside a lot of the cars (that show what all the stops are and their order, and where transfers can be made), and also some of the trains don't have functioning audio announcements.

In terms of etiquette, it's usually pretty good in my experience on Chicago trains. People treat each other pretty nicely.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You won't need the placards pretty soon. You'll know all the stops well enough. :)

And of course public trans if FAR better than attempting to drive in the city.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, yeah. The Brown line does still confuse me a little bit, but I mostly know where I'm going now. :)

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Was the steaming pile of poo on the seat on the brown line?

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sometimes they don't put enough meat on my sandwich and they can get pretty pricey compared to other sub shops :D

Sorry, but that's the extent of subways in St. Louis. Although I've been on the New York subways, and let's just say I was glad to get back home to my car, which unlike some of the trains I was on, does not smell like a bum used it as a bathroom ;)

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course not- that would be too perfect. :) It was on the Red Line during rush hour.

Oh come on. There's nothing like a little adventure in the morning to give you a good story to talk about at the office. And yes- I did talk about it right away. I'm in advertising, we're extremely unprofessional. :)

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Not quite subway etiquette, but my suggested public transportation etiquette:

-Don't have loud conversations with people on the bus/train so that everyone else is forced to listen.
    -Don't have loud conversations on your cell phone.
    -Don't have the most annoying ringtone possible set to go off when you receive a text, and then proceed to text the entire time.

12. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Because the Washington DC Metro has such strict rules (such as no eating/drinking allowed on the trains and in the stations) which are enforced (almost too strongly since a 12 year old girl was arrested in 2000 for eating a french fry on it) it is actually quite a nice system to use. The only complaints I have are that some of the trains are starting to show their age (but that's being fixed) and the fares are a bit too expensive, but otherwise it's a nice system. The usual subway etiquette applies such as letting others out before entering, etc.

13. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

1. They're dirty.

2. Always tip the breakdancers.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Especially when it's about your mother's recent mastectomy.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We don't have breakdancers at our subway. :(

16. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

They won't allow me to carry a fiddy cal on board.
    :eek:

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A what?

18. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

The New York City Subway System is pretty well maintained. Trains generally arrive frequently. The breakdancers and mariachi bands are pretty cool too. The thing that I hate most about the system is the overcrowded rush hour subway.

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Its disgusting
    Its pathetically overpriced
    It stinks of urine
    Its 40c in summer (no air con on the london underground)
    Its full of buskers
    Its full of tramps (see above)
    Its a terrorists wet dream
    It goes at 5mph full speed

If you have to use public transport in London, go by bus.

20. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

As a future conductor for the New York City Subway, I must say that I hate nothing about it... but maybe that's because I love it :cool:.

PS, any questions?

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Their sandwiches are often soggy, their vegetable selection is lacklustre and I find their uniforms uninspired.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey now! I used to work in a Subway in college. I thought it was pretty good. ;)

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I used to quite dislike Subway but I've grown fond of them again in the past year or so. They addressed all the things I didn't like -- more of their restaurants use covers on the vegetable trays to keep them fresh, they now have better bread, better sauces, and many of them have a veggie-burger type of option. So I go there not too infrequently.

Also in Hobart, when I'm there, pickins' are slim, so it's pretty much Subway Tuna for lunch every Tuesday....

24. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Interesting. So how does one become a subway conductor?