Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
When editing your pictures, what is your gamma set to? A lot of people say my edits look dark, but they look fine to me. Could it be because they are on a PC with a 2.2 gamma, and I am using 1.8?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
That is most likely it, perhaps also combined with poor calibration on either end... but the gamma thing will have a huge effect. Try switching between a 1.8 and 2.2 profile :)

I use 2.2 gamma because that is what the vast majority of people will see.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
I am editing a batch of photos, and I changed my gamma setting to 2.2 and realized that the vast majority of them are underexposed :eek:

In 1.8 they look spot on!

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Hum.. now you make me wonder...

its is possible that the standard gamma for mac is 1.8? and if so, why are you guys switching to 2.2?

Is the gamma info stored into the file when you send it to print? Because I have a lot of stuff to print soon and I wonder which setting I should use...

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I edit photos on a mac and bump my brightness and contrast up a slight bit to share with the majority of people using PC's. I use the native Mac gamma because the other pros I share photos with are on Macs.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Yes, the standard for Mac is 1.8. The reason to switch is the standard for PC and TV is 2.2. If you are doing a lot of work that will be seen on a PC, they will see stuff darker than you will.

Go into your display properties and change it back and forth. There is a test image there so you can see what I mean.

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Actually I have a question along these lines, which I asked in another thread before without getting an answer (here).

In short, my observation was that pictures displayed in photo shop using different display profiles with different gamma in the OS setup look the same in Photoshop (while the user interface elemets are affected by the different gamma settings). In Apples applications (Preview for example) they look differently for different gamma settings. To my impression they look most similar if the display color profile is set to 1.8, which is probably why Apple labels this as the Mac standard and assumes this setting for its applications.

To my understanding each picture file which has a color profile stored also has a gamma value stored with the profile (for sRGB it is 2.2). Color managment software will then make sure this is displayed appropriately on the screen. So if the gamma of the display is different from 2.2 it will do the appropriate transformation. This way the picture should be displayed the same on every color managed, calibrated screen.

As I said, this is my understanding. However I didn't find any documents explaining the situation in detail. So if anyone knows more I would be happy to hear about it.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
In short, my observation was that pictures displayed in photo shop using different display profiles with different gamma in the OS setup look the same in Photoshop (while the user interface elemets are affected by the different gamma settings). In Apples applications (Preview for example) they look differently for different gamma settings. To my impression they look most similar if the display color profile is set to 1.8, which is probably why Apple labels this as the Mac standard and assumes this setting for its applications.

Photoshop can do proofing and display an image in different color settings so you don't have to test your image in many computer setups.

I use 1.8 and have used it since the beginning, when PC's didn't have a gamma setting. That's what the print industry uses and has used traditionally so for designers doing print work this is the setting to use.

But when doing websites then it's better to use 2.2 or proof the colors for Windows RGB because thats what the majority uses.

Also bare in mind that no matter what you do, there is no way to guarantee 100% color consistency between all systems. Only on a monitor of the exact same brand, model, specs, OS, settings and calibration the picture will look exactly the same. This sounds bad for anyone in design or doing color critical work but i've personally learned to live with it.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
I used PC's for many years before I got my mac, so 1.8 looks odd to me, I tried getting used to it but changed back to 2.2 in the end, I guess if your not sending stuff to professional printers it is a matter for personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.