What do you hope to see Apple announce this year

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleDeviceUser, Jun 6, 2012.

1. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

Post your thoughts on what you hope to see Apple announce this year?

Personally I'd like to see...

-New Macbook Pro with, a retina display; IVY bridge processors; better battery life unless of course it has a retina display, in that case the same battery life as current model; remove the disc drive; the 15 inch model comes standard with 8GBs of RAM (With the option for 16GB) and 750GB hard drive (With the option for 1TB.)
    -Refresh the MBA, MBP and the iMac.
    -Change memory sizes on iPod touch and iPhone,the base model on the iPod touch should be 16GB (Instead of 8GB) and the high end model on the iPhone and iPod touch should be 128GB (64GB just isn't enough.)
    -I also hope to see a redesigned iPod touch (somewhat like the current iPhone with a square back and sides.
    -Speaking of iPhone I would really like to see a redesign here also, first a stronger design, maybe metal instead of glass on the back. Keep the square design, and as I mentioned before, the high end model should be 128GB instead of 64GB.
    -Finally an update for the thunderbolt display, i'm not sure what they should add but they should lower the price tag.

2. G51989, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Not so much for me. Because I'm buying the New Mac Pro if its as awesome as I hope it is.

Not everyone has a ton of money to blow on a Mac Pro they have NO use for like me ( no offense to anyone. not trying to show off ).

They don't want a useless mini.

They don't want an all show and no go iMac.

They want a affordable sub 1500 dollar mid tower, that they can easily upgraded.

There is SO MUCH money in that.

SO.

Apple Mid Tower. I would LOVE to see that.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

A real 13" Pro laptop. No chance I'm paying the Apple 15" super premium. I'll get something else when I upgrade if they don't change their ways.

4. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

How is that working out of HP and Dell?

High volume/low margin isn't Apples game.

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Clearly you don't know very much about Apple history ( I could be wrong. )

The Power Mac G3, G4, and G5 and first gen Mac Pro don't come anywhere close to the price point that a mid tower could be.

Coupe of Mid Towers Before the G3.

G3 - Mid Tower

G4 - Mid Tower

G5 - Not a mid tower, but low end models were priced VERY attractively.

Only with the Mac Pro do we see this gap in Apple's lineup.

No, the iMac does not fill a " MacX " gap. People who want a mid tower, are NOT interested in an all in one. And they aren't interested in something as limited as a mini. So they'll go elsewhere.

Seeing as Apple already has a history of offering comparable mid towers, why not again?

Give it a good plastic case, decent processor, good video card, decent hard drive, start it off at 1300, give it room to expand.

Money in the bank.

6. ThisIsNotMe, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

$1,600 for a (lowest end) B&W G3 tower in 1999 is ~$2,300 in todays money which is more or less what the entry level Mac Pro costs.

7. G51989, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes, the G3 and G4, and the not top of the range G5s were NOT server grade workstations like the Mac Pro, they were no more than PC's in cool cases that ran PPC processors.

So, nice plastic Case, I7 processor, 8gb of ram, decent GPU, couple of expansion slots and drive bays.

1500 dollars. Tons of meat on the bone for Apple, and tons of sales. I'd say Mac X would do amazing.

G5s started around 1500 if I remember correctly. For the low end models, which tons of room to expand.

You can't really compare old money to new money. Things like computers and the parts that make up computers get cheaper as time goes on, not more expensive.

I just really don't understand why so many people I know, not just on here but in RL, and at work. They would LOVE a Mid Tower Mac. They'd drop 1500 dollars on the spot for one.

1: Give us a Mid Tower, not everyone can randomly blow 5K on a mac Pro like I can and not care.
    2: Make said Mid Tower Expandable.
    3: don't rape us in hardware support, have tons of GPU options
    4: Lets be compatible with Windows software without booting windows ( I would anyway on said Minitower )
    5: 1500 bucks for a base model with better ones
    6: let everything be user accessible and upgradeable.

So much money in this its totally insane. Big market apple could cater to, and tons of them would eat it up. Despite my 7K dollar gaming rig, and the new mac pro I'm gonna buy, I'd buy a Mid Tower Mac in a second.

Not everyone wants a Mac Fail Mini or a All show and no go iMac, ( I'm GIVING mine to my GFs sister for college, thats how much I hate mine, new mac pro baby :D ).

Big market.

Typical argument is.

" Apple is a luxury product! " Well thats a stupid reason, because its not true. "

" It would eat away at the iMac market! " . Also not true, anyone who want an expandable computer that actually performs halfway decent without needing propriety garbage with random over heating ( hello iMac! Mine gets hot as hell just doing basic tasks ). Won't buy a iMac.

" It would eat away at the mac mini market! " The mac mini is an over priced pile of crap. So anyone wanting a mid tower won't settle for a pile of **** like the Mac Mini. I always say to anyone who asks if they should get a Mac Mini, I tell them to work harder and buy an iMac. Much better deal.

" Oh but no one would buy it! "

Yeah OK.

PS: Im not saying all of the reasons I listed are YOUR reasons, I know they are not. But i hear it from Apple users a lot.

With Steve gone, I hope Tim Cook actually takes the computers seriously, and not just the iCrap ( yes, its crap. I think the iPad is garbage, as is the iPhone. But I think smart phones are crap in general, and i think all tablets are total garbage. )

8. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

That's not what the industry numbers indicate unfortunately.

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes, sales of mid towers are down. But they aren't going away for a very long time.

What I meant to say, is that it could be a big market for apple. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard a lot of people on here say they would buy a Mid Tower Mac, I know people in RL who would want a Mid Tower Mac, I do think there is a hole in Apples Lineup, where a good chunk of change could be made.

Besides the Mac Pro, the Apple lineup is full of what I see as compromise machines. Which is fine for those who buy them. But I could see a good number of people going for MacX