What do you install on your new MacBook Air?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
does anyone use any sort of mac cleaner? or is there a free version of cccleaner ?
You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Pinpan

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
My List of Essential Mac Applications

Creativity
  • Scratch
  • Adobe CS6 or CC
  • Pixelmator

Productivity
  • Microsoft Office
  • iWork
  • Evernote
  • TeamViewer
  • Wunderlist
  • Mint QuickView

Web
  • Google Chrome
  • Cyberduck
  • Sublime Text 2 or Adobe Dreamweaver
  • XAMPP

Plugins
  • Adobe Flash
  • AdBlock for Safari or Chrome

Utilities
  • Alfred
  • App Cleaner
  • The Unarchiver
  • Clip Menu
  • HandBrake
  • NameChanger
  • Memory Clean
  • Caffeine
  • Hazel
  • Disk Inventory X
  • CCleaner

Communication

Entertainment
  • Spotify
  • VLC

Misc.
  • VirtualBox
  • Google Drive or Dropbox

That's what I got so far :)

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
  • 1password
  • Alfred
  • BetterZip
  • CandyBar
  • CleanMyMac
  • Cocktail
  • Divvy
  • Dropbox
  • Droplr
  • iStat Menus
  • iWork
  • jDownloader
  • Transmission
  • VLC

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Just got the new MBA to replace my iMac, so far I've installed

- Pixlemator
- Microsoft Office 2011
- Twitter
- Hyperdock (gives you some useful Windows 7 features)
- Chrome
- Google Drive (an additional 15GB of space!)
- DropBox
- Handbrake
- Xtrafinder
- App Cleaner (easy uninstaller)
- Utorrent
- GeekTool
- Caffeine
- Adblocker

Yigit

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
London
So far,

* VLC - for videos
* Gimp or Seashore - editing pics (Had GIMP in Ubuntu, but the more simple Seashore may be enough as well.)
* Audacity - editing audio
* Firefox - in case I need an alternative to Safari, or if i want to use its addons.

Plugins for Safari:
* ClicktoPlugin - Don't have to bother with any plugins, unless you want to. A neat design which fits Safari style very well.
* Adobe Flash - I wouldn't if i hadn't clicktoplugin.
* JavaScriptBlocker - a small button in the corner helps a lot.

Online alternatives:
* Haven't installed NeoOffice or MS Office, cos I thought in case i need to view a file, I would use Google Docs instead.
* If you rarely need to edit pics, pixlr.com looks like it could be a good alternative to GIMP/Seashore. I think you can also download it.
* Have Ubuntu One, Dropbox and Google Drive apps but I prefer their web pages as well, cos I don't want to sync.

I'm trying to keep it minimal as possible, just because i thinks less apps=less problem possibilities. Has been only a week though with the new air, so i'll be looking for more app ideas later.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Haven't seen this suggested yet:

Beamer

Makes your Apple TV much more useful! No more messing around with encoding movies or iTunes.

Mezmorizor

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
* Audacity - editing audio
Why do you use Audacity? That's the worst DAW out on the market. Garageband is way better in the features that they share, and you'd be better off getting a real DAW like Logic, Ableton, Reaper, Pro Tools, etc.

Seriously, destructive editing is the worst thing you could possibly ask for, and Audacity is the only tool on the market that has it.