What do you like better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Do you like having the 11" MBA and a Thunderbolt Display -or- would you prefer a 17" MBP with upgraded RAM and possibly two internal HDDs. (or a combo of SSD/HDD)

Uses:
    Portability (MBA is nice)
    Casual Usage (both are capable)
    Some Gaming (MBP is better)
    Some Programming (big screen is nice)
    Usability (MBP has ethernet, ssd, more USB ports, better battery, more storage space, MBA is easy to run around with and still very usable, faster boot times, equally high resolution screen)

What am I missing?
    Which would you prefer?

They are "worth" about the same
    $1200 MBA / $1000 Thunderbolt Display / $2200 MBP

Any other options?

Thanks.

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

It depends on what you do, but I think instead of a MBA you spend a touch more get a 13MBP with the thunderbolt display. Either way I go with the combo that includes the thunderbolt display, the ability to use it as a desktop is one of the best features and a thunderbolt display is probably the hand down best way to do it. But I can't really give you a better idea without knowing how you plan on using your computer.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Those are two seriously different animals dude. If you don't know which of those two options fits you better, I don't think you're ready to buy.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

What is your purpose of the machine?

Power vs. Portability is completely different.

5. chilly7 macrumors member

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Neither but that seems irrelevant unless you're buying one for me. You need to base your decision on your needs/wants -- not those of other people.

7. dacoolest macrumors regular

I recently bought the late 2011 MBP 17" and I'm loving it.

I use it for programming, audio editing and as my main computer.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Im happiest with the middle, 15" MBP option, but you're asking whether to buy a can or coke or a six pack...

9. HabSonic macrumors regular

10. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I would argue that the two are actually not terribly different.

The MBA & Display option provides portability, along with screen real-estate when at the desk, and a decent amount of power.

The MBP options provides somewhat portability along with almost as much screen real-estate and much more power.

My question I suppose comes down to how much extra power does a MBP have over the air? Where is this helpful?

11. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

The MBP from uses a faster intel processor than the MBA. What also sets the MBP aside is the fact that it is user upgradeable. The MBA only has 4GB of RAM and there is no easy for a user to upgrade that as its soldered to the board. With the MBP you can put in 8GB of RAM and see a nice performance boost and you can install a hybrid drive SSD cache+HDD to get very similar performance. Or you add an SSD and move the HDD over to the optibay if you don't mind not having an optical drive. The MBP also has more ports which allows you to add more peripherals and makes life a lot easier. The MBA is great if all you want to do is web surfing and word processing but if you want or need to do real work your better off with a MBP. The MBP is also completely portable, I don't know why you said somewhat portable. It is pretty light and easy to carry around with you, its not like your carrying a 25lbs weight or something. In the end all roads lead to the MBP. Just an FYI I have both a MBP and MBA and prefer my MBP hands down.

12. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I'll start by saying Thank You!

I was comparing the 17" to 11" in terms of portability.

I do like the fact that you can upgrade the MBP- a lot.

However, to get a 17" I'd have to sell both my Air, and the Display. I'm starting to think a 13/15 inch would be better because then I could keep my Display for when I'm at my desk.

13. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You would be much better off getting a 13 or 15. Depending on what you do the 13" i7 maybe perfect for you. My MBP has the i7 and I love it, its plenty powerful and performs every task I ask of it and I have yet to get a spinning beach ball. Plus if you don't need a quad core and stick with the 13" form factor then you still get the best of portability and power. Either way though your better off with a MBP not a MBA.