Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hello folks :)
I had iPhone 5 for more than a month now. And I do like the phone.
But I feel like I have more disappointments than likings about iPhone 5.
So I would like to hear what other people think about their iP5 so I dont miss out anything :)
I will list mine first.

1. Thin & Light - Probably the best reason why I got this phone. Its amazingly thin!!
2. Siri - Much easier to do things compare to previous iP4!! Press home, say call my gf, she picks up in 10sec!! (if shes not mad)
3. Turn-by-turn map - Finally here!! Even though it constantly uses data, who cares. With 3gb plan im good to go :) it also has easy-to-look interface.
4. Lightninf cable - omg now I can plug in the charger whenever, in either side. Whether in a dark room or even with my eyes closed!! x.x
5. Larger screen - nothing better than watching my private video on bigger size :D
6. 4G LTE - noticible? Yes! Way faster! With faster cpu that supports browsing, webpage loads up in blink of an eye
7. Passbook - not great but still useful. I think this made me drink coffee more often. Is it just me???
8. Fcaetime HD - indeed it came little late but better to have them!! Also facetime on 4g!!

Dislikes:
1. Thin screen - yeah its 4in.. Just got taller. Compare to iP4, still having hard time typing with my big fingers :(
2. Lack of app support - I think this is first time for Apple having different aspect ratio of idevices correct?? It can still run any iphone apps, just that doesnt look pretty. Making empty spaced screen useless, then whats the point of having taller phone x.x
3. No 16:9 with camera - you cant take pictures in 16:9 screen ratio. Did they forgot to mention camera app department that they are making iPhone taller??
4. WiFi - when im in secured network(home) it works perfectly fine. But if i connect to free wifi zone(starbucks, library) it either drops constantly or wont even connect!! Hopefully next ios update fixes this issue but why are they taking so long???
5. Lightning cable - this made my 20 of 30pin cables useless(yes i like having cables on every power outlet). Well i do have iPads also but mostly used for charging iPhones.. And I do not want to carry 30pin to 8pin adapter... :( also no dock nor support from 3rd party company. Well done Apple :) make my new iPhone more useless.
6. Apple map - i couldnt understand people bashing on new map app. I found it quiet useful and well made. Never had issue finding places and navigating until few days ago. Searched a public library, and it put me in the middle of nowhere!! After having these issues couple times more, I started to check on google web app first then use apple map. Which waste my time on road a little more. I know its gonna get better later but still disappointing.
7. Back-plate - yeahh two toned black looks sexy but not with scratches!! Even with having a phone case, its just uncomfortable knowing I might scratch the phone.
8. 3.5mm audio port placement - some people might like it. I dont. This made me buy new car-mount kit for my iPhone. Because docking blocked the audio port. First charging cables, now this? One of reason for buying idevices is because they are same branded. Sync together, use accessories together. But not anymore :(

I guess thats about for now. Some might ask why didnt i return it if i dont like thr phone? Well i broke my foot right after got this phone and had to stay home and work for two weeks. Did not have time to examine the phone :( but anyhow, please share your opinions about the iPhone 5 :)

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
2. Lack of app support - I think this is first time for Apple having different aspect ratio of idevices correct?? It can still run any iphone apps, just that doesnt look pretty. Making empty spaced screen useless, then whats the point of having taller phone x.x

App update will come. Apps needed to be updated when:

iPhone 4 - Apps needed higher resolution assets
iPad 2 - Optimisation for the larger display
iPad 3 "The new iPad" - Needed higher resolution graphics

iPhone 5 is the same. Apps will be updated.

3. No 16:9 with camera - you cant take pictures in 16:9 screen ratio. Did they forgot to mention camera app department that they are making iPhone taller??

The sensor in the iPhone is a 4:3 sensor like every other camera phone. Images will be taken at 4:3. A 16:9 will just crop the top and bottom giving you an lower effective resolution. You can always just crop the image to 16:9 in the photos app if you must. There is a 16x9 preset option to crop to.

4. WiFi - when im in secured network(home) it works perfectly fine. But if i connect to free wifi zone(starbucks, library) it either drops constantly or wont even connect!! Hopefully next ios update fixes this issue but why are they taking so long???

Not sure if this is specifically an iPhone 5 issue.

5. Lightning cable - this made my 20 of 30pin cables useless(yes i like having cables on every power outlet). Well i do have iPads also but mostly used for charging iPhones.. And I do not want to carry 30pin to 8pin adapter... :( also no dock nor support from 3rd party company. Well done Apple :) make my new iPhone more useless.

You can't have the benefit of next-gen all-digital and reversible connector without redesigning the 30-pin.

7. Back-plate - yeahh two toned black looks sexy but not with scratches!! Even with having a phone case, its just uncomfortable knowing I might scratch the phone.

Just buy a back protector. I have one on mine and it will protect the back from scratches.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Like LTE speed, processor, size, screen quality, overall thinness, Lightning cable.

Dislike WiFi issues, anodised process, quality control issues.

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
I love everything about my 5 apart from the Apps. I know it will take time to update the borders on some of the Apps, but I feel let down with Apps like Whatsapp, that has been number 1 on the App Store for god knows how long and they STILL haven't updated the App over 1 month later, not Apples fault I know but still find it annoying.

The only other thing for me is that Apple have decided that it's a good idea to not make a dock for iPhone 5...

Love the bigger screen, and the fact it feels "right" in your hand.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
OP, good unbiased review. I passed on the 5 but hope things shape up for the 5S.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hello folks :)
Dislikes:
1. Thin screen - yeah its 4in.. Just got taller. Compare to iP4, still having hard time typing with my big fingers :(
6. Apple map - i couldnt understand people bashing on new map app. I found it quiet useful and well made. Never had issue finding places and navigating until few days ago. Searched a public library, and it put me in the middle of nowhere!! After having these issues couple times more, I started to check on google web app first then use apple map. Which waste my time on road a little more. I know its gonna get better later but still disappointing.
8. 3.5mm audio port placement - some people might like it. I dont. This made me buy new car-mount kit for my iPhone. Because docking blocked the audio port. First charging cables, now this? One of reason for buying idevices is because they are same branded. Sync together, use accessories together. But not anymore :(

I guess thats about for now. Some might ask why didnt i return it if i dont like thr phone? Well i broke my foot right after got this phone and had to stay home and work for two weeks. Did not have time to examine the phone :( but anyhow, please share your opinions about the iPhone 5 :)

1- Your first like about the phone was that it was thing?
2 - All on Dvevs, not apple. If a dev can't figure out how to make a app retina ready or handle the 4" screen, how is that Apples fault?
3 - the phone itself isn't 16:9, not sure what you're talking about.
4 - I've never had this problem, though I generally don't connect to unsecured wifi
5 - It's reversible, which makes it the best connector ever made.
6 - That sucks
7 - Put it in armor of actually use the phone, obsessing over light scratches (never used a case on any iPhone, had minimal if any scratches, my 5 is flawless) rather than actually using something you paid for is beyond asinine.
8- agree on this one, I keep taking my phone out of my pocket upside down.

? That sounds like you had two relatively distraction free weeks. You can't look at the phone when you're stuck at home??

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Like: Speed, Camera, Siri, Screen, Low weight,
Dislike: Thinness (it's too thin for its height), external design looks cheaper compared to the iPhone 4.

Overall: Amazing smartphone. Mine came perfect (no scratches, no Wifi issues, not LTE issues etc...)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Coming from my 4.

like:
1. dual core cpu speed/RAM hugely noticeable performance.
2. thin and light
3. camera
4. Can use my 5GHz home WIFI network now which is WPS extended across my home. (minor)

dislike:
1. big screen, too big, awkward to use.

neutral:
1. Lightning, yea it's nice and due for an update because the big 30pin was antiquated, but clunky since I had lots of 30pin and my iPad is still 30pin.
2. LTE, meh. I already had 3-5mbps on ATT 3G. That's double to triple standard DSL broadband... on a mobile device. Already streaming video perfectly. 50mbps LTE is just silly.
3. batt life seems unchanged from my 4. Good, but not an improvement per se.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
1. The thinness of the phone compared to my 4S
2. LTE data
3. Screen. The colors seem a bit more vibrant compared to my 4S

Disslikes:

1. Finicky LTE. I know this is more an AT&T thing than Apple thing.
2. I don't like how a few of my apps haven't been updated to fit the larger screen size.

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Not sure if this is specifically an iPhone 5 issue.
Just buy a back protector. I have one on mine and it will protect the back from scratches.
Im pretty sure iPhone 5 has an wifi issue. I been testing with 2 of iPhone 5s, several iPads, and iPhone 4. Only iPhone 5s had problem picking up the wifi. :(
I also have a case that protects the backside. But I been using iP4 without any housings and it was disappointing to see apple decided to go with these materials.

3 - the phone itself isn't 16:9, not sure what you're talking about.

? That sounds like you had two relatively distraction free weeks. You can't look at the phone when you're stuck at home??
Afaik, iP5 has a screen of 4 inch(640x1136 resolution). And from my math its 9:16 aspect ratio. I hope you know what Im talking about now :)
And of course, I did have more free time to investige new iP5 if I wanted to. But without having normal activities(going out, drive, hangout, etc), the usage of the phone is minimal. All I did is picking up the phone or texting :(

4. Can use my 5GHz home WIFI network now which is WPS extended across my home. (minor)
Ohh i forgot to mention this. And its not minor for me :) I like streaming vids and songs from my NAS and dual band gives me stable connection & speeds. Im a happiest man alive :D

I know what you mean with the camera. If I take a shot, I want it to fill the landscape screen on the phone.

Finally someone understands my point :) I mean i know i can simply take a pic, open photo edit app, and crop. But thats bit of a hassle. If they decided to change aspect ratio of the screen, they should have atleast make all stock apps compatible with the newer screen. Most pictures taken from iPhone are to be seen from iPhone screen. But without 16:9 sized options, we'll have blank space on top and bottom. Which makes bigger screen a bit useless imo :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.