Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
I am in Phoenix, Arizona.

Pros:
-Everything seems to be new and in very good condition, because this city feels like it is still growing before my eyes. They are still building the ever expanding light rail system (Trams for people not from the US), so public transportation here is getting better as well. You DEFINITELY can make public transportation work for you here, you just got to learn the system better, and realize it also includes the vast bus system as well.
-We seem to have all of the restaurants that are normally "unique to an area" for example, we have In N Out from California, Culvers from the midwest, Whataburger from Texas, Shake Shack from New York, and we are getting a White Castle.
-We have very nice areas of town when you just want to "feel in the moment", Scottsdale, is like the little slice of Beverley Hills, in Arizona. You see nice cars, expensive brands, and sometimes it just is inspiring to me to be in this environment. Also a big beautiful Apple Store at Fashion Square.
-The nightlife is getting a lot better as well. Scottsdale and Tempe have really good night life, and Scottsdale can make you feel like a celebrity just going into one of their clubs. Tempe is more of a college party town. Downtown Phoenix has an arts scene. And I knew we were becoming more and more "welcoming" when I saw the crosswalk on 7th Ave painted like the pride flag.
-It is affordable city life. It isn't New York or LA, but it is very affordable and the amenities are there.

Cons:
-Snow birds. They come over, act like they own the place, and claim "they pay for our taxes, etc" and then drive like crap with Iowa license plates.
-it is "too new", so there is very little historical buildings. There is some if you look for it, but everything lately seems to be nothing but new high rise apartments being built....everywhere.
-120 degrees.
-Traffic
-I love china towns, and I am disappointed Phoenix doesn't have a viable China town.
-Sometimes, it feels like we are culture less.
-Sports. When people come over to our games, they are cheering for THE OTHER TEAM, and not our home teams, because of transplants and snow birds.
[doublepost=1555831453][/doublepost]
I lived in LA, SF, NYC, & Phoenix, and love all of these places. I am very proud of how diverse the US can be. Each state has its own culture, and can feel like you're traveling to an entirely different country at times....its beautiful.

Very interesting. Hope to see your city one day :)
Apartment boom in Melbourne is like never before, Melbourne changed a lot in the last 5-10 years.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Very interesting. Hope to see your city one day :)
Apartment boom in Melbourne is like never before, Melbourne changed a lot in the last 5-10 years.
I loved it when I visited Melbourne, though it did remind me a lot of Phoenix :p. Melbourne is very "Phoenix-y"...even the street names! Like Gilbert Rd, Country Club Dr. Etc all threw me off....theyre the same street names we have here in Phoenix, LOL!

Reactions: Healer Flame

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
I loved it when I visited Melbourne, though it did remind me a lot of Phoenix :p. Melbourne is very "Phoenix-y"

Oh..you've been to Melbourne? When?
[doublepost=1555832260][/doublepost]People say its very similar to Toronto.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Ok small question for you :)
What do you like/dislike about Melbourne for what you've seen?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Ok small question for you :)
What do you like/dislike about Melbourne for what you've seen?
Honestly I didn't dislike anything about it. It was like any other large city I have been to/lived in. I did like how everything was clean, the roads were nicely paved, and freeways were smooth. I disliked the traffic.

I feel like I am talking about any other city on planet earth though. Nobody in the right mind would ever willingly say they love traffic. :p.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Honestly I didn't dislike anything about it. It was like any other large city I have been to/lived in. I did like how everything was clean, the roads were nicely paved, and freeways were smooth. I disliked the traffic.

I feel like I am talking about any other city on planet earth though. Nobody in the right mind would ever willingly say they love traffic. :p.

Tourist complain about the pricing. Oh yeah traffic is mad , unlike your city Melbourne has narrow roads and too many traffic lights.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Tourist complain about the pricing. Oh yeah traffic is mad unlike your city Melbourne has narrow street and too many traffic lights.
Too many traffic lights is a thing here now too, anywhere near the light rail (tram), there are a ton of traffic lights. I think the ITS (Intelligent Traffic System), has done a good job at getting you to get mostly green lights though in a row. Also there are some narrow streets as well, Mesa and South Phoenix are in the process of shrinking some roads down, in order to fit the train in the middle. What used to be 4 lanes, is now 2 lanes, one lane in each direction, with a two way light rail track in the middle.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
dislike: Extremely incompetent garbage men (or waste collector if you want to be PC). No U-turn allowed city wide.

like: Unlike the previous city I lived in, people here doesn't honk at you 0.5 seconds after the light turn green.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Its unbelievable the way Victorian drivers are being treated....

20190422_124652.jpg

[doublepost=1555901766][/doublepost]Speed use to be 50 in central district. Went to 40km and its now 30 :eek::mad::mad::oops:

Its funny how many cyclist ignore and disrespect red light crossing in major intersection but when a motorist exceed speed by 5 km they are fined over $200 ???
[doublepost=1555901883][/doublepost]Not sure why the authorities are very soft with the cyclist. I will certainly ask for answers :(
[doublepost=1555904127][/doublepost]

jjabrams

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2019
dislike: I hate the fact that my city has an incredible potential to be the cleanest in the country, because it’s a small capital, but it’s extremely dirty and poorly maintained by the population itself, which in turn blames the rulers.

like: I love my city because we have several mansions from the 18th century, we have the most exotic cuisine of the country, we are surrounded by rivers and many green parks and we have freshwater beach with waves of five meters.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
dislike: I hate the fact that my city has an incredible potential to be the cleanest in the country, because it’s a small capital, but it’s extremely dirty and poorly maintained by the population itself, which in turn blames the rulers.

like: I love my city because we have several mansions from the 18th century, we have the most exotic cuisine of the country, we are surrounded by rivers and many green parks and we have freshwater beach with waves of five meters.

You didn't mention the name of your city?

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Dundee

Like: Had a lot of development work. Massive improvements throughout the city. Lovely place to live. Traffic isn't too bad. A lot of software development opportunities, which appear to be growing.

Dislike: Has a bad reputation for a rubbish city, but the reputation is 30 years out of date. Local council appear incompetent. Strange decisions such as chopping down trees that are homes to birds, destroying traditional flower beds. Poor bin placement (communal bins shared by blocks of flats/apartments at the top of steep hills?). Poor pedestrian crossing placing which is sometimes stupid, sometimes plain dangerous.

I love my city. The council themselves really aren't bad, they just do stupid things. They're pretty close to getting things right but always fall at the final hurdle.

Reactions: Healer Flame
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.