Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Been tinkering with Cloak and Tunnel Bear for when I'm in hotels, Starbucks, etc.

What do you guys like? Have a preference?

Thanks,
Chris

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Paid subscriptions are far better than any of the free stuff out there. Cost is minimal. Look for a provider that doesn't store logs. That should be enough to get you started.

Reactions: cmeisenzahl

Jukens

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
or use your own VPN, any decent home router has built in VPN capability and is rather easy to setup and use on your iOS device. Even the free router I got from tmobile has this capability of which anyone can purchase from tmobile even if you arent a customer for $99.

Reactions: magicMac and Menel

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Not the absolute cheapest but I've been using iVPN.net for a few years now.

I'd say whichever one you choose make sure that it's configurable with the OpenVPN app. In my experience, the built-in VPN has a tendency to disconnect when your device switches between wifi and cell service.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I roll my own... OpenVPN from my iDevices to my house. Don't have to worry about how sketchy the third party ones are, or if they're watching my traffic, which they most likely are.

Reactions: Menel and Jukens

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
VPN setup on ddwrt router at home on fiber. No ongoing fees, and secure.

Wife used from Switzerland 2 years ago for our Netflix, and I from Philippines and costa rica. Dayum, I havent been out of the country since 2014 :(

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
VPN setup on ddwrt router at home on fiber. No ongoing fees, and secure.

Wife used from Switzerland 2 years ago for our Netflix, and I from Philippines and costa rica. Dayum, I havent been out of the country since 2014 :(

I suppose it depends on why the person is electing to use a VPN. For some a home VPN wouldn't be a viable option.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I suppose it depends on why the person is electing to use a VPN. For some a home VPN wouldn't be a viable option.
It provides secure point for banking and such when on public or foreign wifi.
And gives you home country IP for services that need it.
Secure access to home files you don't want to make available to a service like dropbox.

All kinds of great reasons to have a vpn at home. Im just lucky to live in a place with symmetrical broadband. And can handle hd streams up and down at the same time.

Those outside the city limits with 6m/128k... Yea vpn maybe only useful for secure banking, at a snails pace.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
It provides secure point for banking and such when on public or foreign wifi.
And gives you home country IP for services that need it.
Secure access to home files you don't want to make available to a service like dropbox.

All kinds of great reasons to have a vpn at home. Im just lucky to live in a place with symmetrical broadband. And can handle hd streams up and down at the same time.

Those outside the city limits with 6m/128k... Yea vpn maybe only useful for secure banking, at a snails pace.

Of course there are great reasons for a home VPN, I wasn't saying there isn't a reason not to use them. Just stating that those wanting a VPN for other various reasons wouldn't benefit from said solution.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am using VPNunlimited, which I bought at a 3-year subscription from Droid-life. Don't really use it much, but I thought it would be cool to play around with. There was one period of time when I was having problems downloading apps over wifi and turning on VPN solved the problem.

rjcchan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Opera's VPN is SurfEasy, from there acquisition in 2015. Are they logging?

I think there are now two...Opera VPN and a SurfEasy branded VPN. A Macworld article suggests Opera VPN may be collecting aggregate user data for marketing purposes. That is not the same as logging tho. Surfeasy still claims to be log free. SurfEasy is a good service and easy to use.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
If the issue is purely security, a personal VPN server is clearly the safest way to go. But as mentioned, if the desire is more about anonymity, other solutions are definitely more appropriate.

Of course there are great reasons for a home VPN, I wasn't saying there isn't a reason not to use them. Just stating that those wanting a VPN for other various reasons wouldn't benefit from said solution.

Reactions: MRxROBOT

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I use Cloak. Their servers are all over the world, they're fast and the UI / UX when connecting to an unknown or new network is clean & smooth to work with.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I been reading these posts. I'm looking for a VPN and is the Opera one safe? Will it give me the protection I need?

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I like how ProXPN says they do not limit my speed, nor log, and so far I've had a good experience with them on iOS.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I been reading these posts. I'm looking for a VPN and is the Opera one safe? Will it give me the protection I need?

What kind of protection?

This is from the blog from surfeasy:

Opera VPN for mobile

Free to use
Anonymous market intelligence
Maybe advertising later.

The new Opera VPN for iOS is a completely free solution that offers many of the features of the SurfEasy VPN application: data encryption, online freedom, five geographic server regions, online anonymity, ease of use, and so on. Opera makes money here in two ways. The easy one to explain is advertising. While there are not ads today, advertisements will likely be introduced in the application in the future. This is just the same as playing a free game that has ads – advertisers pay Opera based on the users’ engagement with their ads.

The other way Opera makes money is by collecting anonymous data about how people use their mobile device. This information is made available to third parties who are interested in better understanding the mobile ecosystem and how it’s evolving. It’s important to understand that this is not data about what you do with your phone, but rather this is data about how a large group of people use their phones. It’s very much like taking part in a survey – there is very little value in your personal answers since your answers may not be representative of the larger population. But if you ask 100,000 people, then you start to get answers that are statistically significant. We do not store or distribute any data that could be used to determine your personal online activities.

More: https://www.surfeasy.com/blog/get-vpn-get-vpn-everyone-gets-vpn/

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Been using TorGuard for a while now (while using OpenVPN app). $20 quarterly (other pricing options available). Solid connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.