What do you LOSE in a New Admin User?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Soundburst, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I've had a problem with my machine and tech support said to try creating a new admin user.

I appear to still have all my apps thankfully but before I delete the original user I just want to make sure there's nothing critical I'm deleting?

Do you only lose your Desktop folders, and documents, pictures etc?

All of the applications etc are still intact?

Thanks for any help!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Applications stay intact. Any user data such as desktop/documents/pictures on the other user account will be deleted. However you can just as easily transfer over that user data to the new account.

Out of interest, what problems are you having with your computer? Creating a new user account is useful for diagnostic purposes, though there's no reason to delete the old user account. Even if it's an issue with the user account causing the problem you're having, deleting the old account won't make any difference when you're running a new user account.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

A professional audio application keeps crashing so they've asked me to make a new user.

I've done as you say and copied over Desktop / Documents - I'll keep the original user too since it won't do any harm.

Thank you

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

What's the app that crashes?

You might also ask over at gearslutz.com -- one of the best sites on the net for audio folks...