Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
isn't the ipod 30GB and 80GB currently sold on Apple online store capable of playing video?

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Yeah, but that's the music iPod with video capabilities. The 'true video iPod' will be the one with the full touch screen on the front. Or it will be the multifunctional device... :)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
phuong said:
isn't the ipod 30GB and 80GB currently sold on Apple online store capable of playing video?

This thing (mock up):

200-v5-iPod-video1.jpg

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The true Video iPod is kind of a ridiculous claim really. It's what people think they want. But people don't know what they want until Apple releases something new. The true video iPod is a manifestation of the MacAddicts and there is little rumor that it will happen.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
GimmeSlack12 said:
The true Video iPod is kind of a ridiculous claim really. It's what people think they want. But people don't know what they want until Apple releases something new. The true video iPod is a manifestation of the MacAddicts and there is little rumor that it will happen.

That's not really true; apple has filed several pattents showing a device with iPod like exterior sporting a full touch screen. These include the 'true ipod video' pattent, the 'iPhone' pattent and the 'multifunctional device' pattent...

I certainly believe there will be such a device in the not so far future. Mainly because Apple will loose it's market share if it will not offer new functionality to compete with digital media players (like M$'s Zune) or cellphones (which are getting more and more functionality as well). Some of which offer more functionality for less or comparable prices.

In my opinion Apple will first release the iPhone and the 'true iPod video' to combine them later in a 'multifunctional device'. The latter would give a serious blow to the competition and Apple will keep and win marketshare (from the cellphone companies). From then on you would have one device for your music, video, agenda, cellphone, gps navigation, camera, etc... That would be ideal to most people; just one device which incorporates all functionality which required several seperate devices before...

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
4np said:
That's not really true; apple has filed several pattents showing a device with iPod like exterior sporting a full touch screen. These include the 'true ipod video' pattent, the 'iPhone' pattent and the 'multifunctional device' pattent...
Ok, that's a sliver of truth. But I won't believe it until I see it. Apple has thousands of patents that have gone no where.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.