What do you need to copy/backup before doing a clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by msmth928, Oct 20, 2009.

1. msmth928 macrumors regular

Is it just:

Your home folder
    Applications folder
    Library

Then simply copy these folders back in once you've done the clean install? Will it copy all my emails and preferences etc?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm.. It's not like windows where you have to forget every once in a while and reinstall everything... There are other options. So, why not do an Archive and Install? This way, all your personal documents, emails and preferences stay where they are! You'll get a near factory fresh install of the OS on the drive and safe **** loads of time. It should work for rolling back to Leopard from Snow Leopard too.

Essentially, the installer script renames the current System Folder to Old.System Folder and a new one will be created.

3. msmth928 thread starter macrumors regular

I did that to begin with (upgrade to SL) but I noticed the system was running a tad slower, and for some reason it screwed up the sRGB colour profile (was really bleached out).

After doing the clean install (which I did last night) my sRGB profile is back to normal :)

I've got my emails and browser preferences all back. Re-installed the programs I use. Have just lost my contacts in the address book though - it seems I was meant to back that up as I've tried copying the prefs for it but it doesn't seem to take.

4. Lukree macrumors newbie

I should do the same procedure as well. I really believe that fresh install MUST be better as it leaves less **** to system, right?!

So my question is, is it so easy that you just copy some folders back to freshly installed system? Where are mail files stored?

Is it possible to do fresh install and then just restore _some_ files from Time Machine backup? For example just calendar and mail archives and applications for example?