What do you need to know to create an App?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Vick77, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Vick77 macrumors member

Hi, a couple of years ago I became fairly interested in web development, and therefore started a steep learning curve and I'm now fairly good using html, css and javascript etc etc. I'm also a long time Photoshop user but I was wondering, how exactly do you create an App.

i.e. what technologies do you need and which software? I'm weighing up the idea of giving it a go for a couple of ideas I have, but apart from the sdk I'm not too sure how to go about it, or which software to look into.

Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

2. Haibane macrumors newbie

Well, you need some knowledge of object oriented programming specifically objective C for iphone. For that you need a mac and possibly XCode for developing applications. And of course you have to download the iphone SDK from apple website. Hope this helped

3. Vick77 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for both of your replies, you seem to have pointed me in the right direction.

I think for the time being I'll stick to web development but this is something I'll definitely keep in mind for the future.

4. firewood macrumors 604

You can write HTML/CSS/Javascript web apps for the iPhone. There's documentation on web app features specific to the iPhone on Apple's iPhone dev web site.

Things a developer needs to know to create an iPhone app:

- how to read and follow instructions carefully (you will fail if you can't).
    - how to program (if you haven't written several programs over 100 lines, get a beginning programming textbook, or two, and learn that first). This step takes some people between 2 months and 2 years, if ever.
    - how to program in Objective C (give it a few days/weeks if you already know C and one other OOP language, or Java, or C++, fairly well).
    - UIKit (easy if you know some Cocoa or NextStep, medium if you've used a C++/C#/Java/Javascript GUI framework before, a bit harder if you've only done non GUI apps (stdio, etc.))
    - using XCode (yet another IDE with a zillion useful features if you can actually find them)
    - the developer Portal (the web site that gets you stuff needed to run apps on your iPhone, but read the bit about following instructions above).
    - various rules about what kinds of apps are and are not allowed in the iTunes App store.

Other very helpful bits:
    - when you app doesn't work, how to debug and use the SDK debugger.
    - how to create usable user interfaces (read the HIG).
    - how to manage memory (if you've only used "managed" languages, you will have to learn this, since the Obj C on the iPhone does not include garbage collection).
    - how to build a complete app out of asynchronous call chains (can cause mental hiccups in programmers who have only written single-threaded foreground/command-line apps).
    - if your app presses up against any performance or memory limits, knowledge of efficient algorithms (another textbook subject), know how to use Instruments, an SDK tool.
    - luck or genius at predicting the next "fart" app fad before anyone else does, or a unique marketing tie-in, or Ninja programming skills in game design, Open GL, audio DSP, social networking services, and/or etc.

Good Luck.