What do you plan on using your apple watch for

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pragmatous, Mar 25, 2015.

1. pragmatous macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    Title says it all.

Talk about what you want to use your apple watch for? Spread around some cool ideas that maybe others haven't thought about.

I'm sure lots of people aren't onboard as they can't think of a reason. I'm sure many of you are onboard because you know right away what you plan to use it for.

What would you like Apple to include in the 2nd generation of the apple watch?

Me personally I am one of those people that can't think of a reason to get the apple watch. I would get one just to get one tho. Unfortunately buying a house is expensive so I can't right now.

Maybe I can when the 2nd gen comes out. They need to add a port to add accessories to the watch. From there you can add an infinite amount of sensors and other ideas.

e.g. http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/...otype-of-a-working-tricorder-unveiled-at-sxsw
  2. Glene macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2014
    Ft Lauderdale
    Some classroom training i conduct, but mostly retired. I want one watch to do casual and biz, no budget. There are many times i want a notification and i cant look at a message in a meeting.....

Space gray with link band and extra sport band for me.
  3. Armen macrumors 604

Apr 30, 2013
    It's all about convenience. With the Apple watch:

- You no longer have to check your phone many times in a few minutes to see if you missed anything. (Vibrate is not always an option for everyone).

- When a notification arrives you can quickly look at your wrist and decide if its important enough to respond to right away or if it could wait. (for me personally I get many messages during the day that require a "yes", "no" or "dont know" as a response. These I can quickly respond to from the watch.

- The watch face complications can provide information at a quick glance elminating the need to reach for your phone. Time, Date, Stocks, next appointment, weather, etc.

- There are tons of uses for the remote camera app. Need to look behind something that you can't position yourself to see? If your phone can fit in the spot you can see through the camera's "eye" from your wrist.
  4. petvas macrumors 601

Jul 20, 2006
    Mannheim, Germany
    I agree with most of the things you wrote, but I think each and every one of us should really think how much technology we want in our lives.
    Yes, having instant access to notifications can be really nice and save people a lot of time, but it can also become a burden. It can make us have even more stress. Business people though might find it more useful.
    I still haven't decided if I am getting one. Not sure yet if a Smartwatch can make my life better..
  5. Armen macrumors 604

Apr 30, 2013
    I'm a "connected" person. My phone is always at my side and people know that I respond quickly if they need me. It may not be for everyone but it works for me.

I also fine tune notifications so I'm not on information overload.
  6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Jan 27, 2007
    Gonna use the sapphire to cut circles in the glass of display cases. Just have to find a ridiculously overpriced suction cup to match.

If you are going to be an international jewel thief, why not do it with some style?
  7. Armen macrumors 604

Apr 30, 2013
    brilliant use case. :D
  8. ozaz macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2011
    Couldn't agree more. There are times when I think 3 personal mobile devices (laptop, tablet, smartphone) is one too many. I can't get excited about adding another.
  9. pragmatous thread starter macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    Is that what you plan to use your apple watch for? I'm not asking what the apple watch can do I'm asking you plan to use it for.

10. Armen, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

Armen macrumors 604

Apr 30, 2013
    My family and I communicate often throughout the day via message

"I'm going to Costco, do you want anything" - Wife (reply on Apple watch yes or no)
    "Do you know where Mom is?" - Sister (If yes, pick up phone and reply..if not, just click reply and "no".

Simple responses like the ones above without the Apple watch require you to take your phone out of your pocket to answer.

I'm mindful of my personal e-mails. When one arrives I like to take a glance and see if its important or not.

My current watch shows me the time and the analog date. My Apple watch will show me the time, date, weather, next appointment and whatever else I want to display on my watch face.

The remote camera app I can't say I'll use until the need arises.

A few weeks ago I had a sore throat and wanted to check if it was red. guess what, I couldn't see a thing in the mirror. If I had the remote app I would have turned on the iPhone camera with its flash and pointed it at my throat and used the watch to see what was happening.
  11. pragmatous thread starter macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    Very cool. I didn't know about the remote camera.

What would you like to see in the 2nd gen apple watch?

12. Armen macrumors 604

Apr 30, 2013
    the health app and steps tracking of the iphone 6+ inspired me to exercise. I currently run every other day and walk as much as I can during the day.

I can appreciate the heart rate sensor but I'd like to see more bio sensors in the Apple watch. Blood pressure, hydration, blood sugar, blood alcohol.

Unfortunately I'm expecting Apple to play the "thinner, lighter, faster" card for gen 2 with 1 new feature this one will not have and it will most likely be a hardware feature.
  13. ianrip macrumors 6502

May 30, 2010
    work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    I bought a 6+ and in hindsight it was too big

So not having to take it out of my pocket when I receive a notification will help loads

I think the, stand up every 50 mins alarm will help me and my fat Ass
  14. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2013
    Moving about at home I never carry my phone around with me, now I can leave it on my desk and go about my day....even work in the garden, go to barn, garage etc...

It will keep track of my steps, allow me to send messages to my family and vice versa. I will not mis important information and be able to ignore non important information. With the right app I can know when someone is at the front entrance.

And no more yelling from the window...your phone is ringing you left it inside!!!

It's going to be great....I think:confused:
  15. pragmatous thread starter macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    I have the jawbone and it does it's alarm thing by way of a vibrate. Doesn't motivate me at all really. What I think needs to happen is something like the apple watch where it can be super annoying to the point where you just do it. I also think adding in "Rewards" can help too. I joined weight watchers and it rewards you with points when you exercise. It seems to help. I can see how the weight watchers app on the apple watch can be super useful on that.

It's more about changing your process than having something vibrate or popup on a screen. You'll eventually just ignore those.

I'm looking to lose about 10lbs.

Why not just buy a nice watch then?

16. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Feb 6, 2014
    I'm hearing impaired, so hearing ring tones from my iPhone sitting on a table 2 feet away is impossible. I plan to use the Apple Watch for notifications, I feel I have a good use case for the device.
  17. pragmatous thread starter macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    Apple needs to halt the obsessiveness on thin and light. That can be a bad thing too.

I'm not sure how blood pressure can work as that would require an external attachment some how.

I definitely agree I'd like to see more sensors too. :apple:

Definitely. JSYK Apple iphone has accessibility options.

Go to settings->general->accessibility | scroll down to hearing ... enable "LED Flash for alerts" - they have other options too that maybe you would know more about.

It'll help a little for now until you get your apple watch. :cool:

I'm hoping it has that kind of range. I'm not buying it for awhile tho but I hope it works out for ya. :apple:

18. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks for that! I do know about the accessibility options, very nice of Apple to include those. The problem I have is that I put my phone in a case because the camera lens protrudes from the back of the iPhone 6. That, and the fact that I'm afraid to rest my phone on its display screen, interferes with me seeing the notification LED at different angles. I just think the Apple Watch will be huge help there.
  19. ttNB macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2012
    Nor' Jersey & New York (Twi-State)
    Checking quick emails, and their importance, without having to take my phone out all day while traveling. I'm a Residential Mnger, in NJ and middle management in NYC. Sometimes a quick glance at whose texting and emailing me, can also mean a timely response when I'm in the middle of working in a unit, without taking my phone out. Residents see you on the phone while your doing something for them, they feel like your taking away their time. Which in some cases is true. But if it's a legit reason, it's ok. Also while driving, the texts from my son or wife when they make it home, without having to mess with my phone. ( Just glancing at it, or having Siri tell me what it says.) I'm sure more reasons will apply after getting it, and utilizing it with everyday stuff.:cool:
  20. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    There are cases that are made to light up with the LED too
  21. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Feb 6, 2014
  22. kovey macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2011
    This is the most ridiculous "use" I've heard yet. You could have just taken a video with your phone. I don't see why there's a need to see your throat in real time.
  23. Armen macrumors 604

Apr 30, 2013
    Oh yeah, I forgot when you switch the camera to video mode it automatically guides your hand to center the shot :rolleyes:
  24. cwosigns macrumors 65832

Jul 8, 2008
    I currently have a Pebble Steel, but plan on getting an Apple Watch. Here is how I plan to use it:

• Notifications. Not having to dig my 6 Plus out of my pocket (or even carry it around the house/office) is a big plus.
    • Controlling music in the car. I have two cars: a 2013 Honda with Bluetooth, and a 1999 Mazda Miata that doesn't have much room or technology. I currently stow my phone in the console, so it's not handy to change tracks, see navigation directions, or even make a call. Being able to do that on my watch when necessary will be awesome.
    • Travel. I travel a lot for work, and it's going to be great to get actionable notifications on my watch.
    • Fitness features: I'm currently in the middle of a weight loss regimen; looking forward to the heart rate monitor and motion actvity.

That's pretty much how I plan to use it. The Pebble Steel has been great, but it's kind of limited. And occasionally it just stops working. Looking forward to a more seamless experience.