What do you predict to be in firmwire 2.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ecoolerik, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ecoolerik macrumors newbie

Well I just wanted your predictions on firmwire 2.1 which is to be in the iPhone.....
    I predict copy/paste and push notification.
    :apple:
    ecooolerik

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Push notification is pretty much a given seeing as how it's already been announced for September. Wouldn't hold your breath for copy and paste...

3. Topper82 macrumors member

Topper82

iPhone 2.1

I wouldn't be surprised to hear some more about the workout equipment compatibility when 2.1 comes. Do you guys think that would be a 3.0 release or will it be a 2.x??

I agree, I wouldn't expect copy/paste. :(

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just some guesses on 2.1 (And I'm guessing it's the end of September)

* Push Notification (that we know is coming)
    * Copy and Paste (Apple admits they just didn't have time before)
    * Apps don't move around on screen when updating
    * MobileMe Calendar Syncing allows calendar selections, just like iTunes syncing allows

And of course:
    * "Bug Fixes" which will improve:
    - App crashing frequency
    - Slow typing issues in online forms
    - Allow Smarter backups of the phone when syncing

For 2.5 or 3.0 (Whatever's next...I'm thinking January or February)

* Background apps possible. Off by default and you (AND the developer) must enable each program manually in the preferences if this is to happen.

* More Exchange features and options

* Ratings and Comments can be made on photographs taken by the camera, which will sync to iPhoto.

* The ability to add any preference to the home screen. Like, you could make a "3G on/off" switch on the home page, just like you can make a web bookmark on the home page.

5. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

I thought turn-by-turn directions was a certainty...

There are many things I wish would get into the next update, but I guess that's another discussion altogether.

6. trunksu macrumors 6502

the one little thing i hope they add is the ability to attach a picture to an e-mail reply/forward. bugs me that i have to create a new e-mail thread just to send a picture :(

edit: sorry just realized this thread was asking what do we expect it to have.

1. push (given)
    2. prob fix the lag issues i would think
    3. hopefully attach pictures to reply/forward e-mails ^^
    4. enable itunes to be used over 3G

7. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I hoping for landscape feature during texting and emailing. I still dont understand why they would include that with safari but not the other two.

I also would like the ability to delete individual texts, as well as see the time stamp for individual texts. I never realized it, but i miss this feature from my old phone. I also would like to have the option of what to do from the missed call sections. For example, on my old phone, when i saw I missed a call, I could open a menu and click email/text/call back. I havent found a way to easily text that person from that menu...

Also, I think it would be great if you could creat power profiles like on a laptop. Its annoying changing all the different settings multiple times a day.

8. moloukhya macrumors member

In addition to copy/paste; since we have push email there should be an email preview on the lock screen.

9. And5555 macrumors member

Maybe I'm missing something from your feature request because I believe what you're asking for is already there.

If you're looking at your missed calls list, you can click on the little Blue arrow on the right, which pulls up a menu showing things like picture, name, phone # (which can be clicked), email, and "Text Message".

Oh.... wait. I think I realized what you were asking here... You mean when the single dialog comes up saying "Missed Calls"? Not the "Recent Calls" list? If so, I'm surprised that your old phone had that option from the basic notification dialog...

10. awvan macrumors member

Search function!

I cannot believe there is no email search function. Copy and Paste is peanuts compared to this. What is the point in having a fast 3G phone with lots of capacity to store your 1000+ messages, and then not be able to search through them!!!

I just discovered this today while setting up my exchange account and couldn't believe it.

11. busterbluth macrumors 6502

12. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

What they will have to fix or I put my iPhone in a drawer (or even on eBay) and go back to my HTC Tytn II:-

Bluetooth connection to vehicles

What I'd like to see:-
    Copy'n'Paste
    Automatic profiles such as those available on WM6 via the Photocontacts Pro application

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

bzzzzz

Attached Files:

14. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

15. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that there will be some sort of MP3 player functionality in it. And maybe a way to buy songs online from iTunes, but directly on the phone. Yeah. Those would be great features :rolleyes:

16. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

From what i have read/ heard, there is a big "iPhone update" for Mac World 2009 so that could be (and what i think it will be ) a 3.0 firmware introduction or a new iPhone but i doubt it

17. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

they have this