What do you recommend me, XP or 7 ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGOOGLE, Mar 7, 2010.

1. iGOOGLE macrumors member

I'm going to install a Windows on my Macbook pro.
    Note that my mac is [13".....2.26HGz....160GB HD.....2GB RAM]

What do you recommend me to install for this mac?
    I mean which one of them is better for my mac, XP or 7 ?

And what is the size of both?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

?????

How are we supposed to know? What do you use your machine for? Either one probably runs fine, and Windows 7 isn't half bad. I'd probably go with that.

For sizes just use Google. Not that difficult to find.

3. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I'd recommend XP simply because you have only 2gb of ram so allocating more than 512mb to your VM will slow down your computer.

Win 7 is great but I think it needs 1+GB to perform well.

4. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

Simple: If you're booting through bootcamp: win7 (I advise min partition of 50 gig)
    If you want to use windows through vm: XP (I advise min partition of 25 gig)

imho: upgrade your ram to 4 gig and go for win 7 64 bit, it's worth it

5. iGOOGLE thread starter macrumors member

By the way, I want to use the Windows only for GTA IV game

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

it's going to run like S'HIT on a mbp. To get playable settings you need a GPU with 512mb VRAM. It's also a huge CPU hog, quad-cores are basically a must.

this should put it in perspective - my desktop (Quad core at 3.6ghz, Nvidia GTX285 (with a huge OC), 8 gigs of RAM) couldn't max it out. And at the max settings, it often dipped below 60 fps. That doesn't mean you won't be able to PLAY it, but it will probably look like garbage and perform equally. Blame it on being a poorly done PC port.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you're going to need to do bootcamp and to echo the above poster, the 9400GT in the 13" isn't really cut out for gaming

os doesn't really matter, as both aren't going to run it well

8. Hexero macrumors regular

9. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

How is this even a question?

Windows 7 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Windows XP. And Windows 7 works fine on even 1 gb of ram, so 2 gb is more than needed. (I have it up and running on my netbook which only has a gb of ram and it works fine.)

There is absolutely no reason to use Windows XP. 7 is faster, nicer looking, more power efficent, and far more secure. It works perfectly with Macbook Pros right out of the box (all the hardware is 100% compatible).

Honestly, I like Windows 7 a lot MORE than even OS X. And I thought both XP and Vista were complete garbage compared to OS X.

P.S: The Windows 7 update that detects illegally downloaded copies of Windows 7 is unchecked by default. You have to go out of your way to check the box to select and install the update. In addition, the description of the update on the left tells you exactly what the upgrade does. So just don't install that update that is clearly unchecked by default and you will be fine. You can still install and use all the other windows updates without problems.

10. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have been Running Win 7 in a VMware Fusion virtual machine on my MBP for a couple of weeks. So far I have been very impressed. I run Fusion in Unity mode, which means that I can run any Windows program from the OS X desktop. That's pretty neat. I did take the precaution of upgrading my MBP from 2 to 6 gig of RAM, so I don't know how my setup would do with only 4 gig of RAM. I also agree that the Win 7 user interface is the best Microsoft has produced, by far. I am not prepared to say that it is better than the Snow Leopard UI, but it is certainly in the conversation. That's a lot more than I could say in favor of any previous version of Windows.

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4