Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I installed Windows 7 beta in VMWare Fusion on my new aluminum macbook. It's pretty cool how seamlessly it works within the OS and spaces.

But what do you guys use your virtual machines for? How often do you have it open? What OS do you use?

-Evan

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I run Office 2007 on Vista through Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I like to mess around in Linux. I have Ubuntu Desktop and Server installed in VMware right now. The only thing I really use Windows for is gaming, for which I have to reboot anyway.

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
i'm also doing the office 07 work in windows, and lately i had to play a little with sharepoint, which ms made that way to only function good with the internet explorer -> windows needed

TH-Gunner

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
I just mess around with Debian. That's it.

With windows, I use visual studio C++ (for school) and Sim City 3000. That's it.

I've found programs for OSX for every other thing I need.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
XP, Netbackup 6.5.2 (because the Java client sucks), VMWare Virtual Infrastructure Client (soon to be released on OSX), Project 2003, SQL Server Management Studio, I use OSX in the enterprise so I have to use Windows for these things. At home thought never use it not even once since I bought my mac almost 2 years now.

tdevers

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2008
Office and Visual Studio. I dislike professors who do not take other platforms into consideration, especially ones that flat out say they hate Apple. :eek:

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Office and Visual Studio. I dislike professors who do not take other platforms into consideration, especially ones that flat out say they hate Apple. :eek:

I dislike people that don't take other platforms into consideration. I am surrounded but them too since I am the only person in the IT department running OSX.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
So, I'm beginning to think there isn't much functionally beneficial unless using the mac in the office, or for light gaming. Anyone else?

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
So, I'm beginning to think there isn't much functionally beneficial unless using the mac in the office, or for light gaming. Anyone else?

I use one as a web browser. I wipe it out once every few days. If it gets compromised it doesn't matter, there is no data of value on it.

I also use them to validate that web pages render correctly in Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I also prefer Outlook to Entourage so I use a Windows VM for that, too.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
I have 3 VMs: A Windows XP, an Ubuntu Linux, and a Darwin.

The Windows XP VM for Office, especially Outlook. There's one function in Outlook that I can't find anywhere else: editing membership of email aliases on Exchange servers.

The Linux VM for web surfing and software development.

The Darwin exists solely for me to copy it's software onto my AppleTV. Stuff like wget, screen, vim etc. Yes, they work.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
i use it for xp and project 64 haha

and the occasional windows app such as ones i used to have to use for school

bahahahahaha yes i am with you!!

for uni i have do some projects with winblows, so i have to fire it up when im at uni (doing a Bachelor of IT)

some games aswell, like Rune, SC2000 etcetc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.