what do you run your processor at - reduced, automatic, or highest?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
on battery: reduced
on AC: automatic

just wondering what everyone runs their processors at? i used to run mine at reduced on battery and highest on AC, but just within the past few weeks, i asked myself "why do i need my processor running at highest, when i'm not really doing anything that is processor intensive anyway?" so i changed it to automatic on AC. my powerbook runs a LOT cooler.

i only switch to highest if i need to encode mp3s or video. other than, automatic is GREAT for my web surfing, emailing, and IM's.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
battery: reduced
AC: auto

Thats on my Thinkpad but I think you'll find that most people just do that aswell; or they would run both as auto.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
always highest. i dont really use my powerbook in battery mode anyways

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iMac G5 - highest. It's criminal not to.

iBook G4 - automatic on adaptor and battery unless I want something done quickly and the iMac isn't around in which case I put it on Highest.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Battery: Reduced
AC: depends, Normally Highest, but if the fans are running a little loud, I will turn the settings to my custom option. I have it set to the sleep settings of Highest, but the Processing power to reduced. This will let the computer cool down and slow the fans down.

50thVert

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
St. Louis, MO
A/C- Highest
UPS Backup- Reduced

I've noticed when my PM G5 is set on Highest, the fans kick on at minimal speeds, instead of blasting to 100% and then back to 0% when on automatic. *shrug*

Yoyodyne

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2005
Uqbar
Battery: Reduced
A/C: Automatic

I'm probably just paranoid about extended heat giving my iBook an early death.

PedroQ

macrumors member
May 12, 2005
Everytime i change mine to highest, it automatically changes itself to reduced again... I have an iMac G5. Do I have to disable any option in the system preferences to be able to do so?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
jmufellow said:
Not there. I guess that comes in Tiger, I have the lowly panther
it depends on your mac. if you have a g3 or a desktop g4 (at least all desktop g4's ive used) you wont have it. it's only implemented in the mobile g4s (ie ibook and powerbook) and g5s. i guess it's for power reasons in the 'books and heat reasons in the g5s :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
jmufellow said:
It's only in portables and G5 Macs, so not in minis or eMacs. It was there in Panther on my iBook so if you have a portable but don't have the option then that's really weird.

Ringo

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2004
Quebec
jmufellow said:

Most G4 desktop computer dont have this option so that may be why :)

Btw : iMac G5 alway on High WAY TO GO BABY :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.