Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
For those 32 bit apps, what did you guys do about them?

The trouble is, there are a couple are things I'd like to keep, but there is no way to know if the devs for them will update them again or not.

I have iPhone X on latest OS version, with all these 32 bit apps sitting inside my folders, so am wondering if it's finally best to simply delete all/most of them?

How have you dealt with these?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

The trouble is, there are a couple are things I'd like to keep, but there is no way to know if the devs for them will update them again or not.

I have iPhone X on latest OS version, with all these 32 bit apps sitting inside my folders, so am wondering if it's finally best to simply delete all/most of them?

I binned them. The developers had plenty of warning long before iOS 11 so if they haven't updated them by now they probably never will.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Deleted the five I had.

Option: keep your old device and treat like an iPod. Pull the sim card.

Reactions: RobinInOR

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
but there is no way to know if the devs for them will update them again or not.

iOS and Xcode have supported 64-bit since 2013.

If a developer hasn't bothered to load Xcode to recompile their program in over 4 years, it's probably safe bet that they will never update it again.

There are a few extreme cases of sudden support, though. Infinity Blade received an update after 5 years.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
JBL finally updated their app for the Authentics speaker line. So there's still some hope. Drop them in a "Forgotten apps" folder and hope you're someday pleasantly surprised by an update.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
TBH, it was a good excuse to clear them all out, along with another load of crap.
...still some more to consider tomorrow.

450+ down to around half, with many of these so called "apps" doing the most pointlessly tiny things, back from the iPhone 3G days and beyond. Haha!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Deleted them and found something else. Not the end of the world. It's part of the evolutionary process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.