What do you think? 2012 or 2011? [imac]

Discussion in 'iMac' started by arjun747, Jun 14, 2012.

  1. arjun747 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    #1
    So im moving in mid-august, and i am selling my current mid-2007 imac. I will have to buy a new computer as i will not have one, and probably can't wait that long without a computer.
    So do you think i should just go for the 2011 model straight away?
    Wait and hope the 2012 model comes out in a couple of weeks?
    Or the 2012 Model will definitely be out by Mountain Lion anway / Before aug.

    I know there are tonnes of these posts, but for me it's not like just waiting, i will need a computer :)
     
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #2
    There is no 2012 iMac and there are no assurances when the next one will be released. Buy what you need, when you need it.
     
  3. arjun747 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    #3
    how can u say there is 'no 2012 imac'... the dude at apple already corrected the spokesman and said thats only the Mac Pro that will only be updated in 2013?
     
  4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #4
    Please post a link to the 2012 iMac.
     
  5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

    Razorhog

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2006
    Location:
    Arkansas
    #5
    He can say that because there is no 2012 iMac as of yet. There may or may not be a refresh of the iMac in the future.
     
  6. arjun747 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    #6
    I obviously mean when/if it is released thats why i wrote 'when', that's just being pedantic.
     
  7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #7
    No, it's not being pedantic. Both your thread title and your post indicate you believe there will definitely be an iMac update this year. My post indicates that is not assured, since Apple has not announced an update and rumors are frequently inaccurate. If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions.
     
  8. necromorph macrumors regular

    necromorph

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    London
    #8
    Wait until next month when ml is released. If the 2012 models are not released with ml buy a 2011 model or Mbp. :)
     
  9. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #9
    People like GGJStudios need a meteorologist to tell them that the sun will indeed rise tomorrow. They won't consider any evidence except an official announcement that anything at all will ever change at any point in the future.

    You should expect a 2012 iMac no later than the time you move. I think it will be July, but I don't work at Apple. Whether you actually want to wait is up to you.. depends on your specific needs (e.g. the top-end 27" 2012 iMac should be a relative beast for gaming), your patience (some of us have been waiting quite a long time to try to piece together a release date), and your willingness to pay full price for outdated components.
     
  10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #10
    The sun rising tomorrow is FAR more likely than the iMac being updated at a particular time. How many times have people claimed the sun would rise tomorrow and it didn't? Now how many have claimed iMac updates were coming on a certain day and they didn't? :rolleyes:
    Tell that to all the ones who said you would see an iMac update at WWDC this year.
     
  11. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

    ebolamonkey3

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2011
    Location:
    Boston
    #11
    I'd wait if I were you OP. There's not a huge need to upgrade right now is there? If not, August is a great timeframe for Apple to release to get in on back to school sales and Nov/Dec are also great for obvious reasons.
     
  12. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #12
    There IS a bit of a crystal ball aspect to this. But there's no sense in pretending there won't be a 2012 iMac; if nothing else the Geekbench score should be a good indicator that one is coming, given that the 2012 MBP result has since been verified.

    WWDC taught us something - it's not ready yet. So that gives us another variable to use. The most reasonable conclusion is that they decided to go to nvidia, just like the MBP's. The top nvidia card has been announced but isn't shipping yet. When does it ship? Late June / early July. That gives us a time to start looking for 2012 iMacs again.

    There is a tendency to start stating prognostications as fact, simply because disclaimers are boring to read and write. I can't dispute that. But what I can dispute is simply tossing all of the predictions aside, whether well reasoned or not, simply because Apple chooses not to confirm or deny it at this time. Far better to listen to their reasoning and reach your own conclusion.
     
  13. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

    cocky jeremy

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #13
    And May 8th, May 15th, May 22nd, May 29th.. lol. :D
     
  14. arjun747 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    #14
    Yeah, i agree, i will most likely be buying the upper tier 2.15" (if that is still the same size in refresh), but i can't really wait after i move, unless i buy a cheap computer to wait for the update, and that doesn't seem like something i would really want to do :p
     

Share This Page