Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob vansteel

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Ugh. Have you ever tried using a touch-sensitive screen? (they've been around for years).

I thought not....

If you like RSI, aching shoulders and greasy screens, that's the way to go ;):p

Seriously, though, for a touch screen to be comfy to use, it needs to be horizontal. Horizontal works fine for designers (viz the Wacom tablet that has an integrated display), but isn't too useful for other things - certainly for gaming, watching movies and general typing, the screen needs to be close to vertical.

My verdict - never gonna happen. I think what we _will_ see from the technology is a wider range of more versatile controllers/input devices. I can certainly see multi-touch benefiting those of us who use graphics tablets...

exactly, multi-touch mac/pc's will never be the standard, they will simply be another option of input (a popular one at that though)

macsander

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
I'm against an iMac Touch, but I am for a MacBook Touch.

Agree, a Touch IMac is totally rediculous because you would have to reach out till the end of your desk to reach the screen, man that would be like playing tennis:p It's useless, you would sit in an uncomfortable position all the time. A macbook touch however seems cool, it's allways much closer to you so it would be very easy to touch the screen, would be very cool!

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
i guess it would be somewhere along the lines of HP's version, but with the apple design cues

I got an awful ache in my arm playing Solitaire on the HP touch screen all-in-one computer. I cannot imagine using the screen as my primary input method.

I highly recommend anyone wanting a touch screen iMac to run down to best buy and spend 30 minutes playing with the HP. It might be a nice gimmick to show off, but I think actual usage would be minimal in real day to day tasks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8883292&type=product&id=1211587312116

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.