What do you think about Growl?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mpulsive81, May 19, 2007.

1. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

When I installed Adium it asked if i wanted to install this program called Growl. Although i declined it at the time, i'm noticing more and more programs are asking if i want it. What do you think about it??

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

same thing here, i aske dmy friend if i should install it and he said yeah go ahead it's a good program and bla bla bla bla,, and now i don t even remmeebr what Growl is for....

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I use it...it's great for Adium. And you can set it up to work with Mail through GrowlMail, GrowlTunes, some RSS readers (such as Vienna), Skype, and Quicksilver. It's awesome IMHO. I especially like it for Mail, because it will flash it's little notification and you can see who wrote and the first part of it, so you know if it's an important mail or not.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

In one word: Wonderful.

I really really enjoy how Growl interacts with Adium, and also Quicksilver. Other programs work good with it too, but it is very helpful on small screen computers, like my 12" iBook, to have a temporary message brought to the front. I recommend it fully.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I love it for Mail and Safari (downloads) but I've never gotten it to work with Adium.

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You need to make sure they pair up correctly (quit both of them, then launch Growl and then launch Adium...they should recognize each other then)...and then configure the Events tab of Adium's preference pane to display messages when you want.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I love it with Adium, Last.fm (to see what the song playing is), torrents and P2P...to see when my downloads have finished :)

8. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

yeah growl is amazing and very useful...it makes PC users jelious ;)

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thankfully its bundled with Adium, otherwise a lot fewer people would have it :)

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It co-exists with so many of my applications that I don't even notice it's a seperate application anymore, I take it for granted. For example I installed Transmission the other day and Growl is automatically working with it.

And yes, it makes PC users jealous. :D

Fully Recommended.

11. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Oh, Its Great download it. its so usefull. Love it. Probly best app for the mac. :) :) :)

12. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm a big fan of Growl. Of course it isn't without its limitations, and some programs abuse it by spamming notifications, but it's pretty simple to customize and setup. I'd highly recommend it.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've tried it all. Adium shows up as registered with Growl but Growl simply doesn't show up in Adium's Even tab, I can't even add it using the "+" box.

14. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I love Growl. The beauty is that you have complete control of it, instead of other apps controlling. I use it with Adium, iStumbler, NetNewsWire, Skype, SuperDuper, Transmission, and Transmit. I also try to use it with every app I develop :)

15. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Please tell me how you use growl with Quicksilver?

What else does QS do other than launch apps?

thanks

oh, and ya to the OP, Growl is a life saver for IM chats in Adium, iChat and Skype, saves you from having to stare at the stupid chat box the whole time, and allows you to do other stuff

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I love Growl but it stopped working for Mail and AdiumX on both of my computers. :(

17. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well...I know it can use Growl for notification (because it shows up in my Growl applications tab). That said, I don't think Quicksilver has ever used Growl to notify me of anything.

QS can do a lot more than just launch apps. You have to turn of some of the advanced features and enable some of the modules for full effect. This blog has some cool examples.

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Go to QS Prefs>Handlers and find Growl under notification. It's helpful to have Growl take care of some things with QS, but overall isn't absolutely necessary.

19. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

That's how it's setup...maybe I just don't notice which ones are QS notifications because I installed Growl and Quicksilver the same day.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Growl is just as amazing as adium, its great eye candy but also useful, adium wise and with battery features as well as the Gmail notifier....i love it

21. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

QuickSilver Rules!!!

Believe me, once you learn how to use it it makes your life easier.

I'll give you a quick/basic example:

(define a shortcut to open the QuickSilver Bezel, I use opt + tab)

Press the shortcut, the bezel appears, drag a file from the desktop/folder/etc into the bezel box, press tab, type the person that you want to send this file to (4 letters should be enough) , press tab again, type "e-mail" and press Enter.

Result: It opens the Mail.app with the "To" field already filled with the adress book reference to the person you typed and the attachment already added to the message :D

It's amazing, and it works with almost everything in OSX. Highly recommended.

BTW - I've never seen a Growl pop-up related to QuickSilver, maybe I haven't activated the module yet :)

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not a great example since it sounds easier to drag a file to the mail dock icon (which opens a new message window and attaches the file) and then type the first few letters of the addressee (as long as they are in your address book). Fewer steps I'm afraid.

23. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Growl should really be a part of the OS. Until then, its definitely a must-have. I have yet to find many apps that I use that are compatible (80% of my apps are Apple apps), but it is interesting that they have command line tools to post growl notifications, so you can easily integrate growl from shell scripts.

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

But a lot of people don't want to have many dock icons...myself I only have three apps :)

25. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I downloaded it and i'v egot it up and running. The only nussence is having to open the itunes growl program everytime i turn the computer on. Unless I have it configured wrong, it's a seperate app from growl, so it's a set of headphones next to the claw on the top of my screen (where the clock, bluetooth, airport, etc are)