What do you think about my final decision?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by escofil, Jun 15, 2012.

1. escofil macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have decided to buy a new MBP 13" base model (2.5GHz). After that I will upgrade it with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD (I think I'll buy it via OWC).

I want this computer to made some audio edition, use with Virtual DJ an Traktor and also made some picture edition. Do you think that for this kind of use is important the difference between the 2.5 and 2.9GHz CPU)??

Thank you very much!

2. Tritons macrumors 6502

Before WWDC I thought that I will get 13'' MBP as well, then I figured out that 15'' MacBook offers so much more (better screen, quad core, better GPU, etc.) and now I can't decide if to get 15'' MBP old one or Retina one.

I would recommend you 15''
    *Sorry for my bad english.

3. escofil thread starter macrumors newbie

In my case I think that the 15" is to big, I'm also looking for some mobility... And it is also expensive for my budget!!!

4. Tritons macrumors 6502

It's expensive for my budget too since I'm student and in Latvia prices are really high but it's a lot better and portable as well.

5. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

If you are looking for a cheaper option many of the resellers will be offloading the previous models at much reduced prices. Comet in the UK are selling Sandybridge 2.2 Ghz i7 MBP 15" for as little as £1195.

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

I decided to go with the 13" base model MBP. I upgraded to 8GB Ram for $90 and ordered a crucial m4 512 SSD for $399.

while the retina looks awesome, I have 3 needs:
    1. 13" screen. I've used the 15 and 17 and they are just too big for my needs. I'm all over the world and lugging those around with all my other gear is not something I want to do. The new rMBP is the same weight, but

2. Optical drive. My job requires the use of CDs. I know I could get an optical and carry it around. However, I have other peripherals I carry around already and this would just add to the pile I'm lugging around.

3. Windows is a requirement. I need to boot camp windows for very specifics work related reasons. I use Windows maybe 5% of the time, but I must have it and it has to be boot camped. So my hard drive must be partitioned. This means either an expensive SSD or a HDD. I opted for the expensive SSD and got the cheapest MBP because the computing power of the base model MBP is well above my needs.

The 13" MBP is getting no love on this forum, but it is a very worthy machine for 80% of the consumer market. At $1200 (MBP & Ram) + $399 for 512GB SSD = a beastly machine for the next 3 to 5 years.

My only negative on this machine is the native resolution. I was really hoping the base model MBPs would come inline with the MBA's resolution.

7. Cicatrix, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

Cicatrix macrumors 6502

I think your a madman. (tc). hey you asked. current 13" air over 13" pro is better in my opinion.

if you don't mind me asking, what is this big pile of peripherals you speak of? I want names! lol.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One reason for the negativity is probably a nicer machine, with the exception of no optical drive. Right now imo there's way too much overlap between the 13" MBA and the 13" MBP.