Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
why would you want live view if you shoot in sunny or bright conditions where there will be glare ??

1) Because there won't be glare, necessarily - modern panels have anti-glare protection.

2) Because you don't always shoot in "bright conditions" - you shoot in many, many conditions.

3) Because regardless of bright conditions (which don't matter, see point 1), I may want to shoot from a position where I can't put the huge hunk of metal (camera) to my face in order to see. Indeed, I often use it for macro photography where it is not practical for me to use a viewfinder.

4) Because live view can give me a lot more information, including whether a shot is in focus or not under conditions where I can't find that out in a viewfinder (say, a very long lens).

There are many more, but that's a good start.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I took my D80 to Sweden with two batteries and shot something like 600 images. I had to switch batteries a few times since the cold plays hell on them (it was January and we were well north of the Arctic circle at times). When we got back both batteries still had plenty of charge.

Over the summer I went back to Europe for two weeks and shot another 400 images or so. Some on-camera flash and some review on the viewfinder. Never had to change batteries. I've seen reliable reports of from 700 - 1400 shots on a single battery.

Absolutely keep a second battery charged and on-hand, but you'll rarely need it with the D80.

PERFECT! 700-1400 on a single battery - it sounds a fairy-tale... :) As I written before, I agreed that it's better buy camera D40 + lens per 500 euro each, then camera D80 per 900 euro + lens 100 euro.

So is D40 have the same opportunities with battery, haven't it? Does anybody know?

I took my D80 to Sweden with two batteries and shot something like 600 images. I had to switch batteries a few times since the cold plays hell on them (it was January and we were well north of the Arctic circle at times). When we got back both batteries still had plenty of charge.

Over the summer I went back to Europe for two weeks and shot another 400 images or so. Some on-camera flash and some review on the viewfinder. Never had to change batteries. I've seen reliable reports of from 700 - 1400 shots on a single battery.

Absolutely keep a second battery charged and on-hand, but you'll rarely need it with the D80.

PERFECT! 700-1400 on a single battery - it sounds a fairy-tale... :) As I written before, I agreed that it's better buy camera D40 + lens per 500 euro each, then camera D80 per 900 euro + lens 100 euro.

So does D40 have the same opportunities with battery, doesn't it? Does anybody know?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
[RE: Live View]

Yeah.....

You can't see if something is in focus using a very long lens? Depending on how far away you are from the subject, it probably won't even matter.

Live View on a DSLR isn't really as useful as it is on a point and shoot. The best implementation of Live View EVER was one of Olympus' first Live View models. I forget the model number.....maybe E-300 or something. Anyway, its Live View feature allowed you to use a DSLR just like you would a point and shoot. However, for those photographers who wanted to use the viewfinder, this feature made the viewfinder too dark. They haven't made a model like that since, but they really should, and just corner the "true" Live View market.

These other implementations are not nearly as useful. I'm not going to be able to just raise my D300 over my head and shoot away. The LCD blackout required to use the AF makes that impossible.

It's a good feature to have if you're using a tripod, and even then, mostly for macro. If I was shooting something far away, it doesn't really help. I just focus on the hyperfocal distance to maximize my depth of field (or whatever I need to do to maximize my depth of field, and shoot away.

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Okay, since I was the one who mentioned difficulty with the AF function on my D80, I thought I'd post one of the pics that I think best represents what I'm talking about:

Stationary subject
I was stationary, too
Cloudy, but decent light
He was maybe eighty feet away. I had the VR function enabled.
(Sorry, I don't have the EXIF data handy so I can't say what settings were used)
Cold day - approximately freezing or just below.
Flag was moving around quite a bit, but I had plenty of time to pre-focus when the flag was well out of the way of his face.
DX VR 18 - 200 lens
Sorry, I can't remember the AF settings. I'm pretty sure I default to AF-S. For this shot, I selected the center AF point, locked the focus, then recomposed.
Could stand a better crop, but I got the shot I wanted with patience.

It just looks a bit soft to me. Could the cold conditions, including the chilled-battery effect- have caused this? Doesn't seem to be camera shake.

Thanks...

attachment.php

Attachments

• GamlaGuard.jpg
    GamlaGuard.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 412

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
D40(x) is better, I think

I owned a D80 last year and didn't like it all that much compared to the D40.
I sold it and was glad to see it go. It was much harder to part with my D40 but I bought a D40x which seems equally as good and has more rez.

Compared side by side, day after day, the D40 had better IQ in high iso, stronger flash, better controls--the D80 has more buttons but main selector is spongy--nicer menus, and longer battery life. The D80 has more advanced AF (which I don't need), bracketing (which is good to have but not critical) and greater size/weight. I have big hands and don't have any trouble holding the D40 (now D40x).
I would say get a D40 and put the money you save toward a decent lens or two. This will improve your picture more than fps or AF focus points. Unless you are shooting a lot of high-speed action. There the D80 will serve you better.
ps: I sold cameras for 8-9 years, back in the day, and often saw people who wanted more than they needed. Or assumed that more expensive meant better. It's worse now, I imagine.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eauboy Was this in auto? If it was on manual, the speed should have been boosted, along with iso and maybe even aperture. Again the 18-200mm isn't known for it's sharpness, but that seemed to be user settings mistake to me. Or VR wasn't turned on, but I doubt that.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'm having similar issues with my kit lens (not with my other lens, though).

Could you post the EXIF data? It depends what shooting mode you were using: in Auto (and other modes other than P, A, S and M), the camera focusses on the closest subject. This also happens in some AF modes.

BTW, the default AF mode is AF-A, the camera switches automatically between AF-S and AF-C. Perhaps I should try and shoot in AF-S or -C instead of AF-A.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I tend to agree with that statement.

Way off-topic: Abstract, did Kobe really say that?!?

Yes. :p

I read it in a post-game report. When he said that, I thought "That is definitely going in my sig". I haven't changed it since.

It just looks a bit soft to me. Could the cold conditions, including the chilled-battery effect- have caused this? Doesn't seem to be camera shake.

It's simple. The mistake is user error. It's not the camera. ;)

First thing you need to understand is: You don't focus on something. You focus to a distance. If you wanted to make the flag-carrier in focus, you didn't even need to focus on his face. You could have aimed for his shoulders, his chest, etc.

Or it (may) be due to what you mean by "recompose". How much did you have to move your camera to recompose? If you had to change the angle of your shot a lot, then that may cause your focus to be off. Again, you're focusing to a particular distance. If you recompose, your subject may not be at the same distance from the camera's sensor plane anymore. This matters more if you're close to the subject, so maybe this wasn't the problem.

It's probably not the AF, though. It's the easiest thing to blame, but it could have been bad technique.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I love my D80 and as much as I would like the new D300 I think it will be at least a year or two before I upgrade this body. I am a working professional photographer and use this camera daily as my main body.

If you want to see examples of the pictures this camera can create I would encourage you to click the link to my website in the signature.

Personally, it is better to spend money on lenses and accessories like a good tripod or flash (depending on what you want to take pictures of).

I can't praise the D80 highly enough and for anyone looking for a dslr it is the one I recommend.

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
I'm having similar issues with my kit lens (not with my other lens, though).

Could you post the EXIF data? It depends what shooting mode you were using: in Auto (and other modes other than P, A, S and M), the camera focusses on the closest subject. This also happens in some AF modes.

BTW, the default AF mode is AF-A, the camera switches automatically between AF-S and AF-C. Perhaps I should try and shoot in AF-S or -C instead of AF-A.

Yes, I'll have to see if I can dig up the EXIF data. I can't remember if I was shooting auto or shutter-priority. It was a year ago.

Thanks...

It's simple. The mistake is user error. It's not the camera. ;)

First thing you need to understand is: You don't focus on something. You focus to a distance. If you wanted to make the flag-carrier in focus, you didn't even need to focus on his face. You could have aimed for his shoulders, his chest, etc.

Or it (may) be due to what you mean by "recompose". How much did you have to move your camera to recompose? If you had to change the angle of your shot a lot, then that may cause your focus to be off. Again, you're focusing to a particular distance. If you recompose, your subject may not be at the same distance from the camera's sensor plane anymore. This matters more if you're close to the subject, so maybe this wasn't the problem.

It's probably not the AF, though. It's the easiest thing to blame, but it could have been bad technique.

The recompose was minimal enough, and at sufficient distance that it shouldn't have mattered. I focused with him centered, then turned maybe five degrees to make a stronger composition. I'm certainly aware that focus is a function of distance. Give me at least some benefit of the doubt.

The most likely scenario seems to be that I locked onto the flagpole or one of the other guards, but the flagpole doesn't appear to be sharp either. In fact, nothing in the shot appears to be in particularly sharp focus.

So yes, the most likely explanation is user error, but I have yet to identify something I could have done better/different. I'll know more when I dig up the EXIF data.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I love my D80 and as much as I would like the new D300 I think it will be at least a year or two before I upgrade this body. I am a working professional photographer and use this camera daily as my main body.

If you want to see examples of the pictures this camera can create I would encourage you to click the link to my website in the signature.

Personally, it is better to spend money on lenses and accessories like a good tripod or flash (depending on what you want to take pictures of).

I can't praise the D80 highly enough and for anyone looking for a dslr it is the one I recommend.

I've visited your link per your recommendation. Is everything Nikon D80? Nice! I've liked most of all the photos from Cheshire, Durham, Lake District and London! Thank you!

timtam

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
BaLi

Seconded, You pretty much sum it all up for me.
Gotta Love my D80 :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.