What do you think about Snow Leopard??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by saadat, Sep 28, 2009.

1. saadat macrumors member

saadat

Hello Friends
    I wish to ask you all about Snow Leopard... Do you like it or not... point out ur likes and dislikes...
    So far i've had a bad experience with it coz since i installed snow leopard, i cant use it for more than 3 hours continuously...it abruptly shutdown by itself... the same problem is with my cousin too...let me knw if someone else had this problem..

regards

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Rubbish - no speed increase and loads of application and system crashes.

I've just downgraded back to Leopard and am happy once again.

3. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

4. JKColo22 macrumors regular

I like it. I installed it on a very new (had it for about 3 weeks before upgrade) MPB 3.2ghz. I noticed considerable speed increases in startup and shutdown times, launching of programs and overall efficiency. Have definitely encountered a few issues with programs but I was diligent about reporting bugs and companies have been quick to issue updates. I have recommended it to classmates and family. For just $29, it's a noticeable speed improvement though apart from updates to stacks (which I never found useable until SL) not very feature rich.

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Have you even glanced remotely round the forums? You'll see your question has been asked ALOT!

Yours is nothing special, nor is it specific. Thread lock please!

6. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

It's great for me. I don't like the toning down of Aqua, although that's been very apparent since 10.5.2.
    The only problem I have is that I now have a selection of PowerPC Macs which have been rendered 'useless' and unsupported by Apple. That's not cool.
    But whatever, like I always say: Apple is a progressive company.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

8. Kristenn macrumors 6502

I did a fresh install and I like it. It made my computer faster. My apps load faster too. I run it in 64bit kernel. My dad said something that I agree with though.

He said. Leopard will do fine for PPC users. Since snow leopard only works in intel macs (Mactel =D) the only reason PPC users should move away from Leopard and buy a Mactel is in 2010 (probably 2011) when 10.7.0 is made. Because by then PPC Macs will be 5 or 6 years old which would probably mean the PPC users would buy a new Mac anyway. And I do agree. Our schools that have G3 and G4 Macs (some G5s) still run Tiger and Leopard. One has 10.3 but its a old G3 powermac. So yes I do agree with what my dad said. PPC macs are still kind not really that old. another 2 years would be a better upgrade and by then 10.7 will probably be out.

9. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i simply don't care for it. i'm not ecstatic about it, but i haven't experienced that many technical difficulties.

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I hate how SL has disabled the search function on MacRumors.:mad:

11. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I love Snow Leopard, I upgraded after 6 months of using Leopard on my Mac Pro, it's going great.

I intend to do a clean install when my SSD gets here :)

12. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

Does anyone of you have problems of ur macbook shutting down abruptly?? this thing is eating my head and i'm thinking of downgrading to leopard..

13. kngelv macrumors member

14. stuarthatto macrumors regular

:D

Seriously, why do we need another aimless thread?

15. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Seriously, do people need to be such arses?

Does it really matter that there's another thread? I mean, REALLY?

16. couto27 macrumors 6502

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Positive:

+ Overall snappiness
    + iChat, Quicktime X, Stacks, Expose...

Negative:

- No adblocker for 64-bit Safari
    - Some crashes

It was worth the 29€, and I've only has couple of crashes and those were with Safari or FireFox. I did clean install and I'm running 32-bit kernel

18. brendu macrumors 68020

Im happy with it, installed it about a month ago, and it was flawless until this past weekend when it gives me the beachball for about 15-20 seconds, about 3-4 times a day, nothing that terrible, but after 9 years of osx, apple should not have issues like this slipping in their "most advanced os, finely tuned"

19. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Good upgrade for the price - Mac faster esp. Safari. Also like the smoother Stacks and Expose features....

20. ZizousamA macrumors member

I've used tiger and leopard. Neither was this bad at the beginning. I have faced problems pertaining to networks and unusual ram and cpu consumptions. It really made me uncomfortable for three months since I bought my new pro. I hope it stabilizes with time.

21. kasakka macrumors 68000

Stacks updates are very useful, Expose and Stacks animations could be smoother though. Don't like Dock Expose much, never liked actions that require holding a button down.

Other than that I haven't really noticed any real differences. Finder still sucks, window management is still a bit crappy, Dock is pretty much the same.

No showstopper problems here.

22. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

I did an upgrade install.... can this be the cause of problem?? earlier when i had leopard i used to keep my macbook switched on for 15 days... but snow leopard doesnt allow me to have it on for more than 4 hours??? can anybody please help me??

23. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Sums up my thoughts exactly. From an end user point of view, it's the most boring OS X release ever.

24. rockbandfan macrumors newbie

I couldn't use it. I wasn't able to browse the internet.

I reinstalled Leopard and the internet was fine...I'm so disappointed.