What do you think about the Apple Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SquintKid, Feb 24, 2010.

1. SquintKid macrumors newbie

What do you think about this mouse? I really like a good mouse and have the Microsoft Arc Mouse which is a basic mouse but sleek, compact design. Feels great. It doesn't do much is why I am looking at the magic mouse.

I usually work on a 13" MacBook so I wanted something easy to carry around.

The Apple Magic Mouse is small which is a plus, but for $69, should I step up and get the MX 1100 Cordless Laser Mouse for same price or the Darkfield (more expensive).

Apple Magic Mouse

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Its brilliant - best Apple mouse ever. Comfortable and the touch scrolling is a joy to use.

4. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Since I installed "BetterTouchTool" I can't stand to use another mouse. I had to buy a second Magic Mouse Because I lost ownership of the first. :) I was miserable for a couple of weeks having to use my old Logitech while waiting on Apple to get more in stock. Watching someone else use your Magic Mouse while you are stuck with normal mouse is almost unbearable. :D

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm with Pomeroy. It's a great little mouse, and with MagicPrefs or BetterTouchTool the functionality is improved significantly. I had to fall back to using my wired Mighty Mouse (haven't got around to replacing the dead batteries) and it's painful. Especially seeing the Magic Mouse sitting lifeless on my desk as I'm forced to use its predecessor :(

But yes, great mouse. Get it. Get MagicPrefs or BTT. Don't look back.

6. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I like it, sometimes the right click doesn't get recognized. But other than that, its been great.

7. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I like everything about it, except battery life... but I don't know how it compares to other wireless mouses. My battery life is atrocious - and I mean atrocious - literally 1 week with new eneloop recharchables (highly recommended by many here), and 2 weeks with the original batteries. Insane. The other thing is that it randomly lost connection a couple of times and I had to go into preferences to re-sync it (it wouldn't re-sync just on its own).

8. thomanjones macrumors regular

I love mine, especially with BetterTouchTool. I get about a month per charge w/ Eneloops, and never had to re-pair, but maybe I'm just lucky.

9. norrasemaj macrumors newbie

The Magic Mouse feels good and the tracking is good, but there's not really that much it does that a Mighty Mouse doesn't do, AND it's missing some good features that would make it a high productivity mouse like the Mighty Mouse.

For Example, here's what the website says are the selling points:

1. "Click. Magic Mouse is an advanced point-and-click mouse that lets you click and double-click anywhere on its Multi-Touch surface."
    THE MIGHTY MOUSE DOES THIS (although the difference is the Mighty Mouse is a physical click (you hear it), and the Magic Mouse is a touch surface)

2. "Two-button click. Magic Mouse functions as a two-button mouse when you enable Secondary Click in System Preferences. Left-handed users can reassign left and right click, as well."
    THE MIGHTY MOUSE DOES THIS

3. "360° scroll. Brush one finger along the Multi-Touch surface to scroll in any direction and to pan a full 360 degrees."

4. "Screen zoom. Hold down the Control key on your keyboard and scroll with one finger on Magic Mouse to enlarge items on your screen."

5. "Two-finger swipe. Using two fingers, swipe left and right along the Multi-Touch surface to advance through pages in Safari or browse photos in iPhoto."
    THE MIGHTY MOUSE DOES NOT DO THIS BUT YOU CAN STILL SCROLL THROUGH IPHOTO PICTURES USING THE SCROLL WHEEL ON THE MIGHTY MOUSE

So as you can see, the Magic Mouse adds the two-finger swipe and the quietness of the touch mouse. BUT.... what it lacks is the side buttons found on the Mighty Mouse. I use this to activate the application switcher so I can move from app to app with the squeeze of the mouse.

As a productivity mouse, the Magic Mouse is a step backwards from the Mighty Mouse or other 3rd party mouse units. For the form and cool factor, it's much sexier than the Mighty Mouse and FAR more sexier than anything else out there. I'd like to see them add the 4th button back for me to drop money for a new mouse.

Good Luck!

10. skorpien macrumors 68020

norrasemaj, while your arguments are valid with the Magic Mouse by itself, if you use either BTT or MP, you can enable three and four finger swipes, three and four finger clicks, and even a middle click (as well as other options). Using the prefs pane, you can assign these to do anything that you used to with the side mouse buttons. I can use expose and app switcher with my Magic Mouse with ease.

11. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I don't like it very much. After using it for 3 months I just bought a Logitech Performance MX yesterday. I don't find the Magic Mouse very comfortable, and it feels a little awkward to hold. Right clicking sometimes doesn't work. Annoying. Sometimes the finger scrolling doesn't register until I've swiped my finger on it a few times. Annoying. Left swiping to go back sometimes doesn't register the first try. Annoying.

Overall I've just found the Magic Mouse annoying to use and uncomfortable. I've not had any battery issues though. I believe I've recharged my Duracell batteries once in the 3 months I used it.

12. mfram macrumors 65816

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to use it for general browsing and/or document use, I think it's fine. I like the scroll functionality and it has a nice weight. And, of course, it looks nice and fits in with the Mac persona. Plus, it uses Bluetooth so you don't need to use up a USB port.

However, I would never, ever want to use this mouse for gaming or any other precise work like Photoshop. The ergonomics just aren't as good as the Logitech mice I use. Ergonomically, the Magic Mouse is at a disadvantage in my opinion.

I haven't had any issues with battery life. I put non-rechargeable Duracell batteries in it and it has only used about 30% life in a couple months. But, to be fair, I don't use it a ton. If I used it everyday, it might be a different story.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The magic mouse is a sick mouse. What I dont get is why Apple still hasn't made available the multi touch gestures, like Expose. I know you can have that with BTT.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I like mine quite a bit. Looks great and works great.

15. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Hated it at first, love it now. Touch scrolling is the bomb.

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

there's a little learning curve on this mouse but you get used to it after time. I just hated the old magic mouse scrolling nipple.

17. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Yes, it is horrible for gaming and Photoshop. Also even some websites are hard to use with it. Google Maps is a pain to use with the Magic Mouse. I had a lot of unintentional zooming.

18. SiMac macrumors newbie

No moving parts

I love it and would never go back...
    Especially as I now have no moving parts to clog up with dust, etc...

That was the only problem with the Mighty Mouse, IMHO

19. azahar macrumors newbie

azahar

I also love the Magic Mouse. I went through 3 x Mighty Mouse units, all of which ended up in the bin due to dodgy nipples/balls. They just didnt work after a while and got fed up with them eventually going back to a trusty Logitech mouse.
    I managed to borrow a Magic Mouse off a work colleague for a morning and tried it our on my Macbook, and didnt want to give it back! I have now bought 2 Magic Mice, one for home and work.

20. googoo macrumors newbie

i 've just tired....

i just don't know what to say anymore.....
    I just bought the magic mouse and i started having some problems..
    The scrolling is not good (scrolls when it feels like and not when i want to) and the worst is that it loses signal all the time, not to mention that the battery drains fast...
    These issues as i have read to many forums are happening to many people.
    Its not what people expects from a company like apple.
    So all i can say is:
    I used to be fan of apple' s great machinery but after this and some big issues i had with my ipod touch and the os update i 've just started to hate and trying to destroy apples reputation.
    It is an awful thing giving your money (witch are much more than the other companys) to a company like apple that represents quality and just have all these problems. It feels like i have been jerked off and i dont like being a jerk...
    So APPLE SUCKS!!!

21. Bwa macrumors 6502

I have bought three of them; they are absolutely awesome. First Apple mouse I've used full-time since 1995 or so.

22. nrweaver macrumors member

I have been using the magic mouse for about 2 months, I really like it I have no complaints about it at all.

23. polotska macrumors 6502

I'm not crazy about the shape; flatter and thinner than I would like.

24. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Actually like it for what it was intended for, surfing the internet and Mac apps. It is fantastic at this. I have one at work I use with my MBP and 1 at home w/ my imac. The only thing is that I prefer to keep using my old trusty Logitech G5 for gaming.

Actually quite easy to use as I leave the G5 plugged into USB so if I'm going to game I just grab it , if I'm just going to surf the net for a while my magic mouse is sitting right beside the other and I just grab it, since one is bluetooth and the other usb they don't interfere and both can be on at the same time.

Tracking speed on a 27" screen ---- you must get BTT or magicprefs IMO.
    Touch scrolling is great, swipes are also great and feel more natural to me than the back buttons on the side.
    Not perfect but a very good tool for what it was made for.

25. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

I love it, it's a great little mouse and really comfortable.