What do you think about this idea? (Commonwealth-country Citizens)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Nothing long and too complicated.

But while I was living in Australia for the past year (best country ever, btw), I met a lot of people from all over, especially Canada, and obviously Australia.

Anyway, we were thinking, that since these countries, and a lot of others, have The Queen as their head-of-state, and all that jazz - wouldn't it be cool if the citizens of her ''land'' could roam between the countries, as and when they choose?

Like us with Ireland and the EU.

Or Australia with New Zealand.

A lot of people I discussed this idea with thought it was fantastic. We don't currently gain anything by being in the Commonwealth, do we?

All I know is, if this was the case, I'd be on a one-way plane to Canada or Australia and I might see you all again.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The problem with that is that there are many poor commonwealth countries, and what would happen is that their citizens would flood the rich commonwealth countries.

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Good point.

Maybe there could be certain conditions that had to be met, ie: you can live and work in the country, but can't live off the state (benefits, healthcare) until you've become a citizen (5 years).

That way, as long as people are prepared to work, they all get a chance.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

But what about the country they are leaving. If all the qualified people leave to move to a 'better' country that leaves their homeland in an even bigger mess.

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

They wouldn't all leave.

Australian's haven't all moved to NZ.

New Zealanders haven't all moved to Australia.

Irish haven't all moved to the UK.

British haven't all moved to Ireland.

EU countries haven't all bombarded the UK.

Personally, I'd rather have the same type of system with the Commonwealth than with Europe.

Some people would just take advantage of it for holidays or travel - no visa issues, other to pay for quicker healthcare or try new methods, others to take gap years and earn money whilst they travel, and study abroad at a reduced rate (as someone who already has permanent residency), only the select few would move.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Commonwealth members like the UK are signatory to EU immigration laws. The Commonwealth is not a political union.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

8. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thats the first time a Canadian has been negative about the matter.

Seven incredibly close friends I made in Australia, all from Canada, loved the idea.

Two of the Canadians were also British citizens, and born to British parents who emigrated over there.

So what would be your view on them? Or their British-Canadian child? A hobo?

Also, I have 2 very good friends from school, I regard one of them as my closest of friends, and she's a born and bred Canadian but now happily lives here - and way prefers it.

Don't be so negative just because of your own personal opinion. I thought you'd moved around a lot, anyway?

9. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Sorry, I don't understand. (Not the part about the Commonwealth not being a political union).

Commonwealth members like the UK are signatory to EU immigration laws.

Do you mean Commonwealth countries have the same immigration laws as the EU? Or that the UK has agreed to EU immigration laws and Commonwealth countries haven't?
    :confused:

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm not trying to break records here. ;)

Of course they do. Easier immigration to other countries while maintaining citizen rights in Canada. But what does Canada get out of the deal. ;)

Irrelevant. I'm talking about free, borderless migration between Commonwealth countries. I certainly like the selective process that Canadians use to keep most chavs and obnoxious, out-of-control Australians from moving to Canada for too long. ;)

Working in our ski resorts for 6 months is fine though.

Again, I'm talking about free migration between Commonwealth countries, which is the topic at hand. I like Canada mostly because Canadians are a certain way, and have an underlying politeness to them, even if the difference between Canadians and Australians, UKers, etc, are not obvious at first. I feel that Canadians have more in common with Swedes and Norwegians than with most of the Commonwealth, so I certainly wouldn't want ANYBODY from a Commonwealth country to just move into Canada.

Besides, there are enough ex-Brits and Indians in Canada, even when we've tried to be selective.

What?

11. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

The right to do the same. As amazing as Canada is, I'm sure some people would love to travel and work in other countries for a period of time, without so much restriction.

I understand there's a lot of cons to the idea, but if Australia/NZ, Ireland/UK and the EU (to an extent) can make it work, surely this could.

I have one friend, Nia, and she's a Canadian citizen, but she hasn't lived there since she was 14.

She back occasionally, but most of the time she's in Australia or the UK.

I'm not saying to let everyone in - just a few - but without making it *so* strict as it is now.

ie: You're allowed 1 x 12 months working visa in your life. Thats it. No second shot.

This I can completely agree with. Every single Canadian I met was LOVELY. I'm going to stay with friends at Xmas, free of charge, who I met out there. 3 groups from Edmonton, and 2 from Toronto.

I just think that for some people, not every Tom, Dick, and Harry - maybe you'd have to be a certain age, have a college/university degree etc to move - but not make it as strict as it is now.

I've got some friends' parents moving to Canada now, in the next few months. They're late 40's, and her Dads a car mechanic, and thats how they've got the opportunity to go.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nicely bolded ;)

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Roam is the key word in your starting post.

I seriously doubt that any country would give up sovereigny to the "Commonwealth".

Visitors visas I could see happening, but most countries would want to know what you are up to.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The thing is, for Canada at least, is that it isn't very strict. And even less strict for Quebec if you speak French.

When I graduate from university next fall, I will have met every requirement for permanent residence in Quebec. The hardest part about the whole process is just waiting, as the whole process can take a while (depending on where you are applying from, and other factors such as a job offer, etc...).