What do you think about this refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rjdoc74, Oct 13, 2011.

1. rjdoc74 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace my 2008 MBP with a apple store refurb. I am not a poweruser- all I do is internet browsing, word processing, occasional movie, etc. Overall, battery life is what I am looking for the most.

What do you all think about this refurb?

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Not eligible for OS X Lion Up-To-Date Program.
    OS X Lion available for download at the Mac App store for only $29.99.

Originally released mid 2009
    13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    250GB Hard Drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Illuminated keyboard

$929.00

Save $570.00
    38% off

It's a 2009 model, but 38% off???? Sounds pretty good!

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

3. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Its a great Machine, but the graphics card is no where what your MBP 08' has. Other than that is it better.

----------

Thats a terrible idea, the one he is looking at is more future proof, he can at least if he wants to play games on it, maybe not at high but medium and low.. On the new 13 inch the Intel HD Cant play games worth crap.. The one he is looking at is better in every way but the CPU is like 15% slower. Its a better deal.

4. richorlin macrumors regular

New MBP

If you are near a Microcenter they routinely sell the $1199 MBP for $999 but I believe it's in store pickup only.

5. tears2040 macrumors 6502

NO WAY in the world would I buy an Intel Core 2 duo computer.... If you want to game buy an Xbox..... I would buy the new model MBP or a base model iMac.

The integrated graphics card on the new MBP can play games with the correct drivers. You have no idea how much of an advantage an i5 processor is.

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Did you not read his first post where he said he was only going to be browsing, word processing and watching movies?

7. TheRat macrumors member

that sounds like the 'step up' model from the one i have now and honestly, it's a great machine. no problems yet (knock on wood). if you're certain you don't want to make the investment for a new one then dive in, mine still runs great (fingers crossed)!

8. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

No, just no. The Intel HD Graphics far Worse than any modern Nvidia card, 9xxx series and up, the Intel HD Is INTEGRATED, Not A Dedicated GPU. I used a Intel HD Graphics 3000 PC And it couldn't even play MINECRAFT, I Mean common. I Thew an ol' 8400 GS in it and the Performance was better, and it played Minecraft far better. As for the CPU, The Core 2 Duo is an Amazing CPU, it is only 15% slower than the one in the Base line MBP 2011. The Base Line 2011 MBP is NOT Quad core, but rather a Dual Core i5. If it was Quad this would be a different story.

----------

Uh Yeah? Thats why I Said its future proof, for if he decided to use it to play a game. Either way I Think he should take it.

9. tears2040 macrumors 6502

Give me some of that , that your smoking.... Core 2 duo an amazing cpu? lol.......
    I know exactly the cpu and and specs that are in a base line 13" mbp. No way on any level would I purchase that old MPB

Compare all of these GeekBench scores http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/search?q=Macbook+Pro+2.53GHz+Intel+Core+2+Duo&commit=Search

to this

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/search?q=Macbook+Pro+2.3+i5&commit=Search

/ Thread