What do you think has caused the animation glitch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentLoner, Apr 15, 2011.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

To seem less smooth than it used to?

2. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

The gradual creep of performance downwards? That was what happened to my old 3G, now abandoned on 4.2 and running slow as an asthmatic tortoise. Now it's the 4's turn to gradually start juddering.

Also, try clearing out the multitasking tray to free memory up.

3. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah but performance drop from what?

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

5. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

6. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

iOS keeps getting bigger and more power-hungry as it grows. The more features Apple adds, the less performance they'll get out of the same generation of hardware.

7. gks macrumors 6502

This won't help you. Sorry.

Once again, the multi-tasking tray does not mean the apps are running. There are only a few instances where apps are running and you can easily tell.

Audio (play icon in the upper right corner)
    VOIP (Blue bar on the top)
    GPS (Arrow in the top menu bar in the upper right corner)

The other two are things you won't really see.

Task Completion - This allows an app to "finish" something in the background. These tasks have a maximum of 10 minutes to complete or they're toasted by the OS.

The one that people seem to think is actually multi-tasking is Fast App Switching. An app can be "frozen" into a state so that when it is run again it appears as though you never closed it. These apps ARE NOT RUNNING.

Any app that you close (hitting the home button) will stop processing for that app unless the conditions above are being used (VOIP, GPS, Audio, Task Completion). If those real multi-tasking solutions are not being used the app is discarded from memory when it is exited. Just like any other app.

The Multi-task bar is only for fast app switching. It is NOT a multi-task bar. It is meant to help you quickly switch between two or more apps. It just so happens to allow you to quit a multi-tasking app too. But if there is no multi-tasking going on, it is just removed from the bar, nothing else.

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

LOL "asthmatic tortoise".. Well describes the iPhone 3G abandoned and left to rot by :apple:

9. great high wolf, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011

great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Are the "frozen" apps not held in memory, if there is space? IIRC, yes. Until the OS needs memory and kicks them out.

If there's not enough space in the memory to perform an operation, what does the OS have to do? Kick apps out. What does this take? Time. Not a lot, but enough to glitch an animation at 30/60fps (I'm not sure what iOS's frame rate is).

By kicking a buttload of apps out of memory manually, you make space for the OS to think about stuff like animations. The "frozen" apps don't use CPU time, you're quite right there and I'm not arguing that point, but they do use memory, and the OS will glitch over animations if it has to reallocate memory whilst performing it.

Yeah, I got very fed up with that phone - only got 6 months of acceptable performance out of it from new. Learnt my lesson, though - and bought the biggest and shiniest model of the iPhone 4. Hopefully that will last two years.

10. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have found it only tends to do it on some intensive apps such as flick rugby. Broken sword etc. I never noticed it before but now I have my OCD has kicked in :p

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I also have glitchy animations while using my iPhone 4. I don't know if it just a general deterioration of the OS or what. It no longer feels like a new phone and it is just 10 months old. It feels like when I update my iPhone 3G to iOS 4.0.

As for the multitasking tray, whatever Steve Jobs brainwashes us into believing, it does help when you close out all the apps in the tray. I don't really think it prolongs battery life, but it certainly helps with the stuttering animation I usually get while playing Tiny Wings. If these apps were inert, why would closing them clearly help?

12. Steve99 macrumors member

Apps in the multitasking tray may not be using CPU time but they most certainly use ram. Install SBsettings(must be jailbroken) and you can see the free ram go up as you close stuff from the tray.

13. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

It's like an older Mac (say the G4) trying to run newer software that's made specifically for newer, faster Mac Pros, but made to be compatible with older systems running older OS. It's run it, it just won't run it as efficiently. Hence the lags. Using up ram, as another poster mentioned, will impede on performance as well. So although the apps on the task bar technically don't use up the CPU, they are still holding on to ram until it's fully quit (removed from the task bar). You have enough apps open, and you'll have less ram for anything else you want to use.

14. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

There hasn't been any features you would think are power hungry enough to affect how the animations go. Although, look at the iPhone 3G when it got overloaded with iOS 4.

4.3.2 has definitely made things better, the general UI animations are far smoother than 4.2.1, but the non-occuring launch animation for apps launched for the first time is still a little annoying. Shows fine once loaded into the memory though ... but general navigation was more important to me, and that's returned somewhat in 4.3.2.

15. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Interesting. I'm still on 4.1, and experience lags just swiping through pages, even hitting apps. When swiping from page to page, sometimes there is a half second delay. Sometimes I have to do it twice because it doesn't launch or swipe right away.

I believe, both Apple and developers are pushing the processing power of the iPhones hence the lags. I also wouldn't be surprised if this is Apple's way of "encouraging" older iPhone users to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

RAM that's marked as free RAM isn't the only RAM that's available to apps. iOS will keep RAM assigned to apps in the tray until it needs it, which is either when the app is brought to the foreground or some other app requires it. Such RAM is "in use" but available and can be counted as free.

Closing apps from the multitasking tray will, in many if not all cases, actually reduce performance since the app needs to be loaded back into memory and its state reinstated when you go back to it.

17. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

You can see it in "System Status" too (without jailbreaking).

18. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

The question is will they fix it?

19. Mobster Sauce macrumors member

I jailbroke 4.3 and I noticed that Apple no longer uses the N88AP.plist file and instead, consolidated everything into the N90AP.plist file.

Also, there's a new setting in N90AP.plist

Code:
    <key>launch-mode</key>
    <string>pre-animate</string>
    That wasn't there in previous versions of iOS.

I still think 4.0.2 was the best for stability and overall smoothness to the OS. It started sucking at 4.1 (introduction to HDR).

If you really wanna screw with animations, just turn your iPhone sideways while in an app, wait for it to switch to landscape, hit the home button, open a DIFFERENT app, hit home button again and open the first app again and it will show a messed up animation with missing frames.

20. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

So what does that mean and do you think it will be fixed?

21. Mobster Sauce macrumors member

I don't know exactly what it means, but they definitely changed something since 4.2. That's all I know.

I doubt they'll fix it. We've had 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 for them to fix it and they keep managing to make it worse every time, so I don't think they'll fix it.

22. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I hope they do :D

23. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

In update. I have found it only happens on the very first run of the apps ( even if you close them down it doesn't happen again) so maybe it has something to do with trying to locate the save point since the switch off. Apps that have been fully closed for hours don't glitch if I've had them open in the past and not switched my phone off and since the latest update it's not half as bad and it's only the intensive apps.

24. thizzinG macrumors member

I thought this thread was about the startup boot animation (greenpois0n)