Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nerp

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Ugly is a huge understatement. :D

Some of us like the retro/nostalgia look. And when your Logitech is worn out and the letters are rubbed off/shiny, my "ugly" keyboard will still look and function perfectly new, even 20 years from now. Write as much copy as I do on a daily basis and you'd be nodding in agreement. I'm looking at the screen when I write, not the keyboard.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Some of us like the retro/nostalgia look. And when your Logitech is worn out and the letters are rubbed off/shiny, my "ugly" keyboard will still look and function perfectly new, even 20 years from now. Write as much copy as I do on a daily basis and you'd be nodding in agreement. I'm looking at the screen when I write, not the keyboard.

People laugh at my 23 year old keyboard, but it's mechanical, works perfectly, is productive (as only people like us understand!) and I'm sure will outlast me. If it doesn't I've got a stack of them in my closet! I use two, one on my iMac and the other on a PC at work. Every couple of years I pull off all the keycaps and wash them. How many people these days bother to wash their keyboards?

Enjoy you real keyboard!

Attachments

• Picture_small.jpg
    Picture_small.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 284

nerp

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
People laugh at my 23 year old keyboard, but it's mechanical, works perfectly, is productive (as only people like us understand!) and I'm sure will outlast me. If it doesn't I've got a stack of them in my closet! I use two, one on my iMac and the other on a PC at work. Every couple of years I pull off all the keycaps and wash them. How many people these days bother to wash their keyboards?

Enjoy you real keyboard!

Ahh, the omnikey. Nice. I'm a Model M/Unicomp guy myself, but you got a nice puppy there. I too like how mechanical keyboards can be cleaned easily. One trick for keycaps is to put them in a plastic baggie with a tiny amount of laundry detergent and water. Shake and the cleaning is done for you.

----------

I wouldn't say the best, but it's a mechanical keyboard and that makes it far superior to anything logitech pumps out of injection molding machines in China.

My keyboard was made in the USA and even has a birthdate on the bottom of it. ;)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
This alternative works great. Try it for 21 days. I found it impossible not to plunk down the 5.00 to buy it two years ago. The price is now 7.99, but the developer offers an education discount. YMMV, but I love it. :D

http://www.sustworks.com/keyclick_pref/index.html

The developer says that it's just the sound that is different, but I find it's mainly the feel. The clicky keyboards a feeling when they pass through the click-point (which also sends the keystroke to the computer) which tells the fingers that they don't have to press any further. IMHO this is what makes the keyboard more accurate and faster. Modern keyboards are not only silent, they are like mush.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.