What do you think needs to be improved in Safari 4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maclover001, Feb 24, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

What would you like to see in Safari 4 before the final release?
    Here's my list:

- Change that blue glow around the thumbnails in Top Sites, that is just un-Apple.
    - Swap CoverFlow in Bookmarks for the Top Sites grid layout
    - Bring the blue progress bar back!!
    - Chrome-like download manager

What I like:
    - Everything else :)

Add to the list. You never know what Apple reads ;)

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

chrome like download is a no no. it already looks enough like chrome

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

being able to access my hotmail would be nice... WebKit is having the same issue right now also. :(

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Yea I really miss having the blue status bar thing.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

blue status bar

refresh and stop buttons back where they used to be.

change search bar from google to what ever I please.

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

this is just me personally but I am not a fan of the new position of the tab bar-its just odd having it above the address bar

7. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I find that clicking on tabs is not accurate, not responsive. I don't miss the progress bar because it's snappier. I love the top sites page, but they should make it customizable, you know, add the pages you want to instead of your most visited.

Ams.

8. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

http://swedishcampground.com/safari-4-hidden-preferences

All I want is for Apple to use the new third indicator they've disabled. It's the one that you get if you change the toolbar back with one of those hidden preferences.

Make that default and I'll be happy.

If anyone's confused, this is what I mean.

[​IMG]

Like anti-microsoft I've also noticed that without the blue loading bar pages load much quicker.

One last thing, I have a gripe with the new tabs. I'm fine with them being on top but I hate it that I can't drag a link into the tab bar anymore. I've gone back to the old tab style.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

1. A way to block certain sites appearing in Top Sites. (Not just delete but never appear in the first place).

2. What the hell happened to 'clear recent searches'?

3. A way to add a top site yourself. If you already know your favourite tops sites why do we have to wait for Safari to figure it out?

4. The blue loading bar needs to be returned an infinite spinning wheel tells you nothing. Has it stalled or is it still loading? At least the loading bar can show how much there is left to download.

5. Forgive me if Im wrong but isnt the refresh button in the place of where the snap back button used to be? What happened to snap back? :confused:

6. I dont really use Tabs that much but my quick playing around I noticed they can be a bit 'finnicky' in their new position.

Don't get me wrong I think this update is fantastic but there are a few things Apple overlooked here.

10. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

1. Use, ahem, Private Browsing for those sites. Top Sites uses your history after all.

2. History - Clear History clears recent searches too.

3. It's based on your history, not bookmarks. However you can "pin" pages to Top Sites so not an issue IMO.

4. View - Show Status Bar - this shows how many elements are left to load at the bottom of the window. In any case you can revert to the old-style loading bar if necessary - see other threads for the .plist defaults commands.

5. Nope, Snap Back button appears in the search bar.

6. Again tabs can be reverted back to old-style, so everyone can be happy :)

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

1. Private browsing erases your history so Top Sites would be useless?

2. But why get rid of the little 'x'. Now it takes more mouse clicks to erase searches. Trivial yes but we are talking about Apple here which is all about workflow and ease of use. Doesnt make sense. Also if you erase your history isnt that going to affect Top Sites?

3. But you still have to wait for Safari to figure out that a site is your top site then you can pin it. Why cant we just add one?

4. Not very elegant nor is 'hacking'. My argument here is the spinning wheel offers less visual information than a quick glance at a loading bar.

5. I wasnt sure about snap back. Its one of those very well executed things that you take for granted then when you think you need it (but you dont) you wonder where it is. :D

6. Again this requires 'hacking' doesnt it? Maybe holding Apple+Alt and dragging a tab to the bottom of the menubar could move them to the old position and vice versa? That would be cool.

12. Eusebius macrumors member

Maybe few people use it, but I miss the snapback button in the address bar (in Safari 4 replaced by the refresh button). Snapback eliminates a lot of backward clicking return to first page of a web site after you've waded deeply into it. It's very convenient, so why cripple it in Safari 4 Beta by limiting it to the search bar?

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I KNEW IT! I thought it was in the address bar. So forget my number 5 in the post above. Bring back snap back Apple, because if you don't....

Having it in the search bar only brings you back to the search results.

Oh and the RSS button bugs me. It needs moving up 1 pixel to make it vertically centred. :D

14. bashveank macrumors member

Top Sites needs work. Somehow, the random site that I popped into for 30 seconds by clicking a link on an email unfailingly gets instantly promoted to the top spot, while sites that I visit multiple times a day and spend most of my time on sometimes get dropped from Top Sites completely...

15. MotleyPete macrumors regular

You can.

Open two windows, one with Top Sites and the other with whatever site you want to add. Drag the web icon (in the address bar) from the page you want to add into the Top Sites window.

It's pinned automatically.

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I thought about dragging the address to the top sites window before but when you go to top sites the address dissappears. I never thought of opening another window. :p

Still not as elegant as clicking the '+' and selecting 'Add as Top Site' though. ;) Or even dragging the address to the topsites icon?

Am I being finnicky here? Or should I be working for Apple? :D

17. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Nah, it's a bit clunky.

A button or contextual menu thingie would be much better.

18. richkent72 macrumors regular

Top sites needs fixing. Pages that I access several times a day are well down the list. Others that I have looked at once are near the top. Some do not appear at all. The indicator that a page has been updated since last viewed is a bit hit and miss as well.