What do you think of Google's new search engine?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TH55, Sep 27, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I think it is yet another huge and unnecessary downgrade of it's layout. It was perfectly fine before, now it is disjointed and hard to read. When will these big companies realize they can make changes and stay looking new and evolving without completely overhauling the entire platform? Very aggravating.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Image search totally sucks now. Cover flow is gone. Sad.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Why does image search suck, what's diff? And what's cover flow?

4. zumajoe macrumors member

Totally.. I didn't realize what was going on first I thought I was seeing a glitch! Looks like they went back to 1999, the google logo isn't even 2x for retina!

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I switched to Bing several months ago due to Google's changed image search. I haven't seen the new changes because I've already left them behind.

6. zumajoe macrumors member

Google's made some questionable changes lately surprisingly because I feel their big overhaul up until now has been great. The new Google Maps is absolutely atrocious and switched back to classic. It's not even funny how bad it is-- and i'm not one for complaining about change.

7. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Been working my way off google since they are dumping igoogle. Tried google+ but didn't like it. Don't know what's going on there but they just seem to be pi$$ing a lot of people off.

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

You mean the new Google maps for iPhone?

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Same here. All you can do with image search is see tiny low res thumbnails. F that. Switched to bing for all mobile searches. It's much better.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Google seems intent on wrecking everything that contributed to the ease-of-use user experience that was its hallmark.

Accessing Google through mobile is for me a waste of time. AMF.

11. devman macrumors 65816

devman

This. I've been on bing for some time now. It's way good enough.

12. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

I'll add myself to the list that hates what Google search has become. It's a complete mess on the ipad. Image search is horrible, and everything is just plain ugly.

13. davehutch, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Google image search still works with cover flow on iOS6. Checked last night.
    The Google app still shows Coverflow results though

This sounds like Apple taking another step away from anything Googly

Attached Files:

14. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I can't notice any huge differences in image search...can you please explain. Thanks.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Tiny thumbnails which won't expand when you click on them and no 'unwholesome' pictures even if you toggle the settings. Bing all the way now!

16. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

It only happens on iPhone. On both Android and iPad work perfectly fine

17. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Tried Bing yesterday, I do like the fact you can click an image and it enlarges a little more, rather then having to go to the website to see an enlarged copy of it. I don't notice any resolution change between Google and bing...they are both horrible. Bing doesn't have the cover flow swipe, you always have to close the pic and then click on another pic. I also found that when trying to enter text into the search bar it was counter intuitive, meaning it wouldn't automatically go to the end of the search words. I'll keep playing with it and see if I can get used to it. I also found (maybe just in my own experience) no YouTube videos would show in my searches like they do in google.

Here's a question for everyone… How do you all feel about Yahoos search engine? How do you feel it compares to Google or Bing? I've never known anyone or have heard of anyone using Yahoo for their search engine, just wondering.

18. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Googles web search now sucks because iOS is making it suck. This is Apples way of trying to push everyone off of Google.

Seriously, do a mobile image search in any browser outside of safari.

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I thought the change was on Googles end, the new hummingbird format?

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

On the iPhone you cannot swipe through photos like coverflow. Each image is on its own separate web page. You have to keep hitting the forward and back buttons to see successive images. It could be due to Safari's new swipe forward/back feature.

----------

For some odd reason,it seems like Apple and Yahoo have been in bed together lately. Could be a ploy to push people towards Yahoo. Problem is, the internet's a strange creature. Yahoo has the same chance in coming back as MySpace does.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yahoo! uses Bing for their searches, so at least as far as the results are concerned (not so much as their presentation and all that) they should pretty much be the same across either one of those.

22. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I'm glad it changed. I hated the cover flow garbage.

23. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I personally like it better because you can copy the image URL a LOT easier than before. If I want to hyperlink it to say, here...

24. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What is cover flow???

25. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

So is Google search diff on droids?