What do you think of HTC Shift?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timmillwood, Oct 2, 2007.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I am really tempted by the HTC Shift as a Phone, Diary, Laptop replacement. Then a Mac Pro at home.

What do you think of it?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Using it was alright, but the UI was a little laggy...if you can I would wait for v2, the slider one out soon apparently :)

3. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I was considering one of these/UMPC as an always carry with me computer, but I'm definitely a bit concerned its [the HTC Shift] too large to be pocketable, and not big enough to be a laptop replacement. I'm pretty sure I might just go with the OQO instead, or Sony UX--though I've heard its keypad is pretty bad. The Shift has a few plusses over the OQO and UX--one huge plus the Shift has is that it has HSDPA support built in, meaning 3G over AT&T Wireless. OQO supports EVDO from Verizon and Sprint if you have them; Sony UX has EDGE only.

I'm waiting for the holidays, to try and snag any discount if possible. I know the market for these aren't huge yet so I'm not expecting any significant drop in prices.

My advice would be to evaluate exactly where you want to take it. The Shift is probably too large for a pocket, but might work well in other cases. Decide if the battery life will perform to your needs, and I would personally hold out a bit longer for the holiday discounts.
    Steve

4. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i work as a web designer therefore i need a pretty decent speed computer, but when out and about with clients I am only showing them work in progress or finished web sites, which is not very power hungry.

But... at the moment i carry around my Macbook pro which is a bit big. and not as quick as a mac pro.

I have tried the sony UX and though it was great, liked the resolution of the screen but thought it was a little small. Then looking at the 10-11" laptops think they are a little big, therefore the Shift would be ideal.

5. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Are you thinking of the HTC Touch phone? The OP was referring to the HTC Shift which was just released.

To the OP, I think the HTC Touch is a good size. I've seen it in person where I live and it's actually very useable and the keys are much better than the UX. The speed is OK but more than enough for internet, messeging and emails.

6. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

From videos of the Shift it looks quite fast, it even runs Aero.

It also runs Windows Mobile with a 7 DAY!!! battery life then you can instantly switch to windows for a 3hr battery life.

I really want one!! yeah it would be nice if it ran Mac OS X but there is no chance, and even if Apple made a UMPC i doubt it will have 3g or HSDPA.