What do you think of Mac Keeper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RWinOR, Aug 1, 2011.

1. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    I come from a Windows background where I needed external utilities to do most maintenance items. Disk defrag, virus scan, spy ware etc. I have been running Mac OSx for over 3 years and have never invested a dime into any such program. I just read an add of Mac Keeper, and my windows background says I need this, my mac background says it is a waste of money.

Is anyone using any such utility program and are they really worth the money? What do they do for you?

Also can anyone explain why I need to defrag on Windows regularly (weekly) and never seem to do this on my Mac? I am not complaining by any means I love not spending money on things I do not need but I am curious as to why the differenece.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My thoughts on it is that its unnecessary and fails to fully remove apps that you want uninstalled.

OSX is not windows and as such these types of apps are not needed.

3. RWinOR thread starter macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    Thank you, this is my feeling as well.

Sometimes ones just needs a sanity check. :)

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacKeeper is a scam. Case closed. In the case of an appeal by MacKeeper supporters, ask them why do they secretly sponsor websites that claim that MacKeeper is not a scam.

The takeaway message is that MacKeeper is a scam.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac background is right. Mac and Windows are two different animals.
    You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Also, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.
    About disk optimization with Mac OS X