What do you think of my iWeb website?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by oTechnology, Jan 3, 2010.

1. oTechnology macrumors newbie

I just finished building a really simple light weight website, I tried to make fit into a 700KB package :), because when having a graphical website, iWeb makes websites of huge mass, anyway, I was just wondering about what you guys think about my website, and if you can tell me what to work on, and if you can please tell me (people who own iMac or a big screen computer) how it looks on that, and ways to make it better.
    My website can be found at two links, they are basically the same, but just different domain names:

http://www.oTechnology.tk

OR

http://www.oTechnology.net.tc

and which domain name do you think looks better.
    Thank you :apple:
    oTechnology
    Please Become a Fan on facebook
    or Subscribe on YouTube.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

A couple of brief initial thoughts:

1. Huge white space (see image)

2. The scrolling text? A bit much, and the background and the font don't match. Then again the background makes it a tad bit hard to match.

3. The hyperlinked logo(?) is a tad bit odd..

Attached Files:

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

The white space I agree shouldn't be there. Other than that it looks cool. I stopped using iWeb because I found it too limiting, I use Rapidweaver for my site. But yours looks good, your off to a nice start.

4. oTechnology thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I used Rapidweaver for a while, but I didn't like the fact that you can't move images around. It is got its ups and downs, but rapidweaver is a powerfull tool, so is iWeb if you know how to use it.

And do you know how to remove that white gap, when I select tile for the background image it is still the same, does anyone know how to fix this?
    and I added a dropdown mini navigation menu so check it out.

5. oTechnology thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, but I do not know how to remove the white gap, do you know how to do it?
    I am thinking about removing the scrolling text and the hyperlinked logo, is there any other things that I have to work on?

BTW I am 14

6. tman07 macrumors regular

another thing, I am looking at your site on a 1280x800 screen and i have to scroll over, sideways. Most websites are designed for a smaller screen, or actively change with screen size.

Also, when you open the site, its like WHOA! Huge icons everywhere. Why not make the main icons smaller, and maybe add some text about who you are/what you do on the home screen.

Also, you may be working on it now, but i didnt notice the white space...

7. UnixNut macrumors newbie

<meta name="Generator" content="iWeb 3.0.1" />
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=1270" />

Seeing you are using a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get), I would look through your page settings for any auto resizing configurations. My display is at 1680x1050 and I see a lot of white space.

Another approach would be to set a back-ground image, say black with stars or even solid black, to eliminate the white. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

8. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

9. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I would make the background fill color Black, or get a nice picture that tiles easily, and also I would resize the width of the site to 900pixels. I would also design a new logo if I were you. The site does look nice, but the white logo looks obnoxious and ruins the look of the site, in my opinion. Do you know photoshop?

Also I like the www.otechnology.tk domain better.

10. oTechnology thread starter macrumors newbie

I am looking for a background image, and I am going to make it 900 pixels but wouldnt it make it worse for people with large screens, because I have a 1280x800.
    Thanks for your opinion and I will work on it, and I HAVE photoshop but I am no professional, I don't know how to use it, It would be great if you can give me some tips about what I can have in my logo, or colour scheme , I was thinking I could have that space picture, but it could be fading out to black, do you picture it ?
    Thanks in Advance :D

11. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Its hard to teach someone Photoshop over a forum. Just look for youtube vidoes, I'm sure theres a bunch on Photoshop.

12. oTechnology thread starter macrumors newbie

I have fixed up my website and changed the white logo, and I changed the guestbook page, and added a drop down navigation selection menu:D

13. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Big improvement. However, I would change the border around the logo to a Grey, and change the font/font color.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant