What do you think of my logo? Suggestions

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by waloshin, Jan 12, 2016.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am trying to be seen as a premium photo /document scanning business. I have therefore choosen black and gold. I believe I used pantatone 851.

[​IMG]

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My suggestion is not to show the scanner. It's just a very basic scanner, which doesn't reflect "gold standard".

As the old saying goes, you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.

You're showing them the steak, and it's not Grade A.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The font's a bit weird. Looks like "JKW" or "JVN" or "JKI" depending on how long I look at it.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

6. highlystrange macrumors member

highlystrange

For the visual part (the scanner), I would try to "abstract" it into a more simple iconic image. The present scanner image is too detailed and distracting. Basically you want an image that can stand on its own, without the typography, if necessary.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The second one is getting close, but the font is dreadful.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you're right in saying not to show that scanner......it's not an image that suggests "high quality"

9. weatherwax macrumors member

weatherwax

Agree with everyone who's saying this - drop the scanner. I would rethink your approach a bit and maybe throw around some more diverse ideas. You probably want a versitile logo that will look good online, but also printed on business cards, as a masthead on stationary, a little favicon or profile picture on social media. To be able to do all that, you'll need to simplify simplify simplify. Think about other companies' logos that you really like - it's usually a simple design and sometimes the company name, or the company name as a unique typeface.

10. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Maybe a logo of a scanner sideways?

That second font is plain and simple unreadable.

IMHO

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two squares would be for the favicon, social media.

12. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Okay, so I honestly think this is a step in the right direction. Bold, catches your eye with the blue glow, only problem is that it clashes with the gold text. But it has some depth, makes you think about it for a second until you realize it's supposed to be a scanner. I would roll with that, take it a bit further.

The actual font though makes me think of JG WENTWORTH 877 CASH NOW! (877 cash now)....... which is not good.

13. waloshin, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Haha thanks yeah the font is a little odd. And the idea is the blue glow is a scanner. I am glad you noticed :)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2016 ---
    Updated font.

[​IMG]

Social media use:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Not keen on the 'The Gold (S/s)tandard in Photo, Document Scanning' tagline. Firstly, the use of a comma rather than 'and' seems very 'American newspaper headline-ese'. Secondly, it's too wordy for constant repetition. Thirdly, and obviously it's an entirely personal reaction, the reference to 'gold standard' seems both old-fashioned and a little vainglorious.

But, if you're committed to your gold standard, why not make your JW logotype echo a hallmark? For example...

[​IMG]
    Not that I've got a clue what a US gold mark looks like, and subsequent Googling has left me none the wiser.

All the same, that'll be $2500. Thanks.

15. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I had the same impression as well. "The gold standard" feels more time-honored and old fashioned, where digital archiving is anything but that.

It seems to me that speed is the selling point here. This is more about fast and easy turnaround than it is about quality. Of course the quality has to be there, but it's not what will catch the customer with the 10,000 pages of documents that they want done in two days.

17. chrfr macrumors 603

At the risk of offending you, which I am not intending to do, all of your logos are in need of significant improvement. A company that's the "gold" or "diamond" standard would hire a skilled designer. Centering is seldom a good design solution, and the typography choices you've made look amateurish. The tag line isn't adding much to your idea; with a company name that includes "digital archiving," it's obvious what the business does, and you telling me it's the gold/diamond standard isn't proving anything to me. Also, while the term "gold standard" has a definition, "diamond standard" is a meaningless term.

18. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Constructive criticism is what I need thanks.

19. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

20. iamgalactic macrumors regular

Hire someone. Really.
    If you want to do it on the cheap even if you just find someone who's still studying design looking to earn a bit of cash.

21. R1PPER macrumors 6502

I agree with above. None of these are close to a professional logo.

22. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I agree with the statements above. Those are very generic, but I am glad you threw the scanner image away though as that was screaming not-at-all-gold-standard.

Also, write "Photo and document scanning", don't use a comma to seperate two terms, and don't introduce captial letters at random. ...But why not just write something like:

(Fancily made) JW
    Digital photo and document scanning and archiving

? You have two different ways of writing what you are doing, both which are essentially the same thing, just formulated differently. It would also be much easier to make a logo with just JW. If you want to expand in the future, you don't have to redo your logo either.

And a dark gold on a black background is just a no no. Either a light gold color, or use a different color.

23. Supermacguy macrumors regular

Also, you should not be thinking too much about color. A good logo design needs to be readable in black and white, in small print, on the web, in all kinds of less than ideal situations. Color is a great add-on, but never make color choices your first step in the design.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Honestly, this is the answer. The logos are simply not up to par. The font choices are terrible. And it's frightening how casually you switch from one bad choice to another.

At this point you either need to hire a designer, or just typeset the thing in Helvetica and be done with it.

25. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin