What do you think of my plug-and-play eGPU plan?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yixian, May 19, 2015.

1. Yixian, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015

Yixian macrumors 65816

I have a 2014 MacBook Air with Thunderbolt 2, and I'm a bit tired of waiting for decent GPUs to come to Apple portables and have basically accepted that day won't come.

Now it seems eGPUs are actually an option under Bootcamp, which is the only environment I'd ever game in anyway.

What do you guys think of this set up, do you think it would work ok and have decent performance?

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box
    EVGA GTX 960 2GB GDDR5
    Corsair 550w PSU
    Pci Express 16x To 16x Powered Pci-e Riser Cable Adapter Extension
    2m Original Apple Thunderbolt Cable

Can anyone see any problems?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

As long as you're running Windows 8.1 in UEFI, then it's as easy as plug and play.

3. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome! I've updated a few more items as I understand a 960M will need a powered riser and that if you get an EVGA branded GPU it will mean you don't have to fiddle with the times you power things on.

I wonder how future proof this setup will be, as Skylake will presumably have Thunderbolt 3.. But then I suppose this Thunderbolt 2 setup will still deliver much better performance for the next few years of GPUs without getting too bottlenecked?

Plus I don't even want to imagine how much Thunderbolt 3 PCI chassis will cost at first.

For those interested the total cost of this setup would be about £370.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

My personal setup is a Sonnet IIID, GTX 780 Ti and a Corsair RM 450 and it's pretty fast. On my 15" rMBP, the card benchmarks at 85-90% of its full performance (i.e. when connected natively to my gaming rig).

5. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Sounds great.

I just hope that we won't require a new setup with Thunderbolt 3 to run new games at high settings for at least 3-4 years.

6. ooans macrumors 6502

You probably will be able to do some good gaming for many years to come.

Sure Thunderbolt 3 is likely coming with Skylake, but who knows how long it will take for someone to release a decently priced PCI-E chassis for it.

7. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh and does anyone happen to know if a 960M will fit inside the Thunder2 chassis? I know a 970M won't.

8. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Just discovered I actually only have Thunderbolt 1... Is this going to be too big of a bottleneck?

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In that case, you would be saturating the bandwidth with just a GTX 680 series. Anything above the GTX 700 series wouldn't mean much on your system.