What do you think of this offer on C/L

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tchaap, Nov 28, 2007.

1. tchaap macrumors member

2. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

why would they buy leopard and ilife (definitely didnt come with that 2.0 ghz machine) just to sell it for such a low price? as far as i'm aware macs have a very high resale value... i'm suspicious. ask them for the serial number, and make sure they give you both the leopard and ilife retail boxes. if you think it's trustworthy then go for it... that is a great deal!

3. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

When did the 2 ghz MBP's come out...how old do you think it is?

4. clindner macrumors regular

I've been thinking of trying to pick a notebook up of of C/L myself as well. I've been amazed by both the high and the low prices I see there.

Some guy seems to like to buy unit, load every imaginable piece of software on them, then sell at a big markup. Other people are strangely enough selling units that don't have any accessories, including the power cord. Makes me wonder how they came to possess these... :eek:

Anyway, what good would knowing the serial number be? Is there a phone number where those reported as stolen are logged or something?

I find it hard to believe that people are selling a lot of G4 ibooks and powerbooks for 600-700 bucks. Why would anyone pay that over about 1000 for a refurb C2D macbook? I would like to get a 12" powerbook G4, but I don't expect to pay over $500, given what is available now.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

yes i believe if your laptop is stolen and you call apple they will flag your serial number as stolen, so if it ever goes in for repair or a genius looks at it they'll know.

it also helps the potential buyer to confirm specs.

6. clindner macrumors regular

So, is there a website or a phone number to call when looking to purchase to verify it isn't stolen?

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Q2 2006 - around 18 months old

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Thats very cheap...but why get it if you can get a C2D 2.2GHz MB for just about the same price? I don't like C/L at all.

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

The other things have been addressed already, but in regards to the 10.5 - I would ask whether he has loaded it on, or whether it actually includes the media. I've seen many people say xyz, but the reality is, its loaded on the machine with no licence - which is illegal since they're not transferring the licence to you at point of sale.

Regarding the price, personally, save yourself some heart ache and purchase a brand new MacBook, for around the same price you can get a 2.2Ghz jobby including iLife and Leopard, and knowing its all kosher and working rather than risking picking up a second hand one and all the risk it entails.

For me, I find unless the amount is truly low in cost, its not worth the risk.

Oh, and btw, the processor on the computer advertised is ancient. Technology circa 2 years ago. Anything less than a Core 2 is a waste of time and money.

edit: don't be stupid, avoid PPC stuff like the plague, its a dead end.

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I don't think it's stolen...the person selling this lives in Buckhead, which is a nice area, and the pictures are taken on a really nice desk.

My guess is that it's somebody trying to sell an old laptop that they don't use anymore (probably bought a core2 recently) and they are not aware that they could get a few hundred more then they are asking, nor are they trying to squeeze every penny out of the transaction.

to the OP, just go check it out. Odds are you will drive up to a nice, big house with a bimmer and lexus out front, and talk to some wealthy guy/gal who is just trying to get rid of a useless (to them) laptop that is taking up space.

11. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

The ad says it is a Core Duo, is that different that a Core 2?
    Where can you get a MBP 2.2ghz for $1250?

Where can you get a MBP 2.2 ghz for $1250?

12. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Why do you need a MacBook Pro?

Core 2 Duo is a 64bit processor and considerably faster than Core Duo. 64bit/Core 2 is the future, buy that Core Duo today and it'll be obsolete in atleast 2 years time, maybe even before then.

13. savar macrumors 68000

savar

You make it sound like the chip won't be able to run any software in 2 years. That's ludricous. They first introduced C2D a little over a year ago; you think they would drop support for a CPU in less than 36 months?

The CD and C2D are extremely similar. From a programmer's point of view, the two chips are practically identical (if you're using 32 bit instructions). There is no reason why programs written 2 years from now wouldn't work on a CD laptop. Sure, some programs will come with 64 bit libraries to take advantage if it's available...but name one program that you use on a daily basis which has 64 bit libraries avaialble today.

A new laptop is at least $2K, this guy can get one for $1250. That's a deal. So he doesn't get 64-bit (still irrelevant to most consumers) and he loses as much as 15% speed in specific benchmarks. I don't know about you, but I never run benchmarks on my computer; I gauge it's speed by how fast it feels, and my CD macbook still feels pretty fast -- even under Leopard.

It's not stolen, it's a good deal...geez

14. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Why is the upper half of the display omitted from all photos?

15. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Why not get a brand new MacBook for the same price? Why does he need a MacBook Pro over getting a MacBook?

16. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

he's used to the feel of a g4 powerbook. The OP probably likes the pro feel. It's really hard to go from a pro notebook t a consumer one for most people it seems. Not with everyone mind you, but it is really something you tend to get used to.

He was talking about a 2.2 MB (aka macbook) not a MBP (macbook pro)

17. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

True, but I'm assuming if he is 'tight on cash' (hence buying second hand) - 'feel' would be last on his list of 'musts'.

18. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

I don't "need" one. I just "want" one.

exactly.

Actually, the feel and my "musts" are high priority...butI love to buy used. I have bought used computers, computer parts, cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. for years. I can't remember the last time I was burned. My PowerBook was purchased used and it is still a good computer. Since I don't need a MBP I can afford to look around and see what I can pick up used.

Thanks to all for the comments. The CL poster never did respond to my email so I'll continue to look.

TC

19. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Boo...so anticlimatic after this whole thread about whether it was stolen and whether it was even a good deal.

(Which makes no sense by the way...it's "so cheap" that it must have been stolen, but so expensive that it's not a good deal.)

I'm guessing somebody else quickly bought it right away because it was quite a deal from an honest seller.

20. clindner macrumors regular

No one answered the question I had, which was:

What number can I call when I have a serial number to see if it has been reported stolen?

This would be my only concern when buying from CL..

Thanks!

21. eman macrumors 6502a

Contact Apple at the link below for phone numbers.
    http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

I only buy from Craig's list if the item is local and we can meet in a public place and cash rules (only cash period). Otherwise forget it, there's to many scammers with bad money orders etc...