Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightPrayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
In my opinion:
-Blue-ray Drive
-slot to put the sim to use 3G
-upgrade graphic. Many other models have stronger graphic with a cheaper price than MBP

any other ideas?

etinin

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
The first two aren't going to happen (the first might be available as an option for more expensive models, though).

What we should be seeing is:
Slightly improved processor (no Arrendale).
Slightly improved HD (250GB for lower end 13.3")
Possibly a slightly improved graphics card.
Possibly slightly improved memory (4GB for the lower end?)

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan
BTO option to remove the SuperDrive and put a second HD/SSD there instead.

That would be great, but I don't see it happening. Especially considering how long Apple pushed the combo drives....

My iBook kicked the bucket recently. For me, if Apple doesn't go to Arrandale, I'll keep using my girlfriend's old PC until that dies too. And if Arrandale still isn't in the 13" Pros when that happens, we'll be getting an upscale netbook. No sale here until the processor and graphics aren't behind the times. They're supposed to be pro machines, after all.

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
Would like to see a dock port

That's a great idea! Would love to just slot it in and have the laptop top hooked up to my monitor, sound card, power, mouse and midi keyboard etc. Quite hard to find decent dockable laptops that fit my requirements nowadays.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Arrandale is the first order of business. With intel having this ready in a few weeks, there's no reason for apple to update the MBP line using the current chipset.

Given that arrandale contains its own integrated GPU, its really up in the air what apple will do. Stick with nvidia, and require intel to provide one w/o the GPU. Ignore the integrated GPU and go with a discrete one or just live with the intel GPU.

Larger SSDs as an option

BlueRay would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath

That's about it, there's not much more you can add to a laptop, perhaps increase the max ram beyond 8 but even then, I'm not sure if that's needed quite yet,i.e., 8gig is probably more then enough for 99% of the users at this stage.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
BTO option to remove the SuperDrive and put a second HD/SSD there instead.

Even if they offered this option, it would likely be cheaper to do it yourself. I recently added a second hdd to my MBP and couldn't be happier with the setup (see my sig).

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
I would like to see arrandale with the integrated graphics as the power saving mode and an invidia discrete card with a bit more power than the current one. I would also like to see a thinner, lighter form factor.

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
Ideal situation for me personally:
Arrandale CPU (integrated for low power, hopefully with decent drivers, if that's not possible then go with the current config, just updated, ignoring the integrated CPU graphics), faster graphics for high performance (probably ATI), I'd love them to bring the express port back on the 15inch (you can just put a card reader into the slot if that's what you want), hopefully with a similar battery life to the current models.

That would be schweeeeet... I can live with the other spec options.

My best guess at what's going to happen:
Upgraded C2D CPU, faster graphics (again probably ATI), larger HDDs as standard with 4gigs RAM standard in every model.

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
Give me four cores and an increased ram ceiling of 16GB (put four sodimm slots in there...plenty of room).

Won't happen, but it would be nice.

espressoroast

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Amsterdam
I am waiting for Arrandale to buy a new MBP as well, but I am slightly worried about what will happen on the GPU front.
Just the thought of going back to integrated graphics gives me the shivers.

A higher res. (Full HD) display would be nice as well.

I can't see any major reduction in case thickness, they are limited by the HDD sizes as it is.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
That's a great idea! Would love to just slot it in and have the laptop top hooked up to my monitor, sound card, power, mouse and midi keyboard etc. Quite hard to find decent dockable laptops that fit my requirements nowadays.

Any professional (business oriented) laptop like a Thinkpad, Latitude, or Elite should have a dock port.
As far as I know Apple has never had one. I think it would be a great addition though.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
The only thing Im missing from my 13" MBP is USB ports. I wish there were at least 3 ports. Also, dual display output? That would be wicked, but I don't think the 9400M can support triple monitors by itself!

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
Any professional (business oriented) laptop like a Thinkpad, Latitude, or Elite should have a dock port.
As far as I know Apple has never had one. I think it would be a great addition though.

Yeah, but they mostly don't fit my requirements unfortunately. A lot seem to use those crappy usb docks as well...

blake.

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
Faster processor, preferably Arrandale.
New discrete GFX card.
A price cut (£100 - £200 please?) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.