Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Do you think he just has the best of everything (17"PB, G5 tower with 2 30"ers) or does he use all new stuff that hasn't been released yet?

I would imagine he has a computer he uses for personal stuff, maybe a dual 2.0GHz G5 with a 30" display, and a 17" PB for the road. I say the 2.0 because he's probably had it since they came out and personally, I would hate to have to transfer my stuff every six of months, but maybe Steve isn't that way.

Then I would guess he gets the test units for upcoming products to play with and give opinion of. What do you guys think?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
wwooden said:
Do you think he just has the best of everything (17"PB, G5 tower with 2 30"ers) or does he use all new stuff that hasn't been released yet?

I would imagine he has a computer he uses for personal stuff, maybe a dual 2.0GHz G5 with a 30" display, and a 17" PB for the road. I say the 2.0 because he's probably had it since they came out and personally, I would hate to have to transfer my stuff every six of months, but maybe Steve isn't that way.

Then I would guess he gets the test units for upcoming products to play with and give opinion of. What do you guys think?

Based on what I've seen in video of Schillers office, Steve prolly has a hopped up G5, 30" display and another, non-Apple machine (maybe - guessing here) for Pixar stuff.

Prolly has it all linked to a large plasma or something like that.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
iGary said:
Based on what I've seen in video of Schillers office, Steve prolly has a hopped up G5, 30" display and another, non-Apple machine (maybe - guessing here) for Pixar stuff.
That would be my guess too – although if anyone was to have a G5 PowerBook stashed away, Steve's your boy.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
wwooden said:
I would hate to have to transfer my stuff every six of months, but maybe Steve isn't that way.

A. I suspect most of his data is kept on a separate server (for regular backups), so the "transferring" issue is moot.

B. He has people to transfer stuff for him

So I suspect he's running top of the line, all the time. Heck, he might be running the prototype dual 3.0.

If I were steve, I wouldn't use a 17-incher for the road, though -- too big. Tricked out 15-incher would do just fine.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I bet he's still running the Apple I, the machine he built!
Uses it for note and memos.
He probably got Ives to design some pluch case for it, so it looks better than a G5, and has managed to hook up a small TFT screen to it!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
wwooden said:
I would hate to have to transfer my stuff every six of months, but maybe Steve isn't that way.

So he wouldn't have to worry 'bout the extended three years of AppleCare then? ;)

I'm betting he has a feature wall in his office made entirely of Mac minis stacked on top of each other.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
He said at the shareholders meeting last year that his personal computer at home was a dual 800mhz G4 with 17" Apple Studio Display CRT. He made some comment about using stuff until it dies.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
I reckon he has a:

G3 400mhz iMac (firewire) with a 1st Gen 5gb (mac version) iPod.

It's even too expensive for Steve to keep up with the latest and greatest.

PS: I hear he has saved nearly enough to update to a dual 2.7ghz. But he isn't sure whether he might bring out a dual core dual 3ghz. So he's holding off to see what he announces at WWDC.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I remember reading an article a few years back by a writer who shadowed Jobs around Apple's HQ for a day. The article stated that although Jobs has any Mac available to him he was still using an old NeXT cube for office tasks. Very strange indeed. Then when he was in the hospital recently they say that he was using a 17" PowerBook.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
JRM PowerPod said:
I reckon he has a:

G3 400mhz iMac (firewire) with a 1st Gen 5gb (mac version) iPod.

It's even too expensive for Steve to keep up with the latest and greatest.

PS: I hear he has saved nearly enough to update to a dual 2.7ghz. But he isn't sure whether he might bring out a dual core dual 3ghz. So he's holding off to see what he announces at WWDC.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah i heard that aswell..hmmm whos your source.. :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
His main machine is a G3 800 MHz iBook with 768 MB of RAM. His AppleCare expired recently, and his CD-ROM drive is stuck so he can't get a CD out. He doesn't know what to do, and is waiting for the rumoured G5 Powerbook to be released (Steve: "When Apple.....WHEN??!!??). He also can't figure out why he can't see the ripple effect in Tiger.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I wonder if he's upgraded to Tiger yet?

If so, I wonder if he did it himself.

If so, I wonder if he allowed the person who wrote the migration assistant to keep his/her job.

(Sorry, I'm still a little sore about my migration assistant experience. I'll stop whining about it eventually.)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Here ya go:

Team,

I have some personal news that I need to share with you, and I wanted you to hear it directly from me.

This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas. I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was). I will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments.

The far more common form of pancreatic cancer is called adenocarcinoma, which is currently not curable and usually carries a life expectancy of around one year after diagnosis. I mention this because when one hears "pancreatic cancer" (or Googles it), one immediately encounters this far more common and deadly form, which, thank god, is not what I had.

I will be recuperating during the month of August, and expect to return to work in September. While I'm out, I've asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple's day to day operations, so we shouldn't miss a beat. I'm sure I'll be calling some of you way too much in August, and I look forward to seeing you in September.

Steve

PS: I'm sending this from my hospital bed using my 17-inch PowerBook and an Airport Express.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Steve uses an eMachine with a 1.6GHz Celeron, 128MB RAM, 10GB hdd, and a 15" Dell CRT. That's why he thinks the Mac mini, the PowerBook, and the iBook are "pretty tricked out." :rolleyes:

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, there is evidence that as late as 1998 he was still using an IBM ThinkPad running OPENSTEP* (based on a visual sighting within Apple) and as late as 2000 he was still using a system at Pixar that was running OPENSTEP 4.2 (based on him using NeXT Mail as his Pixar e-mail client, the version that shipped with OPENSTEP 4.2).

While I'm sure that Steve still keeps some NeXT things around these days, almost everything that is current in the Apple product line has been a descendant of NeXT technology since Mac OS X shipped. So there is good reason to believe that he uses only the top of the line Apple stuff now.

I highly doubt that he ever used Mac OS 8/9 for much of anything. I would guess that during that period he used OPENSTEP, Rhapsody and then developer previews of Mac OS X (when they were functional enough) for stuff while at Apple. And continued to use NeXT hardware at Pixar during that time.

* Part of the reason for continuing to use an IBM ThinkPad running OPENSTEP rather than a PowerBook running some version of Rhapsody was because the PowerBook line was limited to a max of 800x600 displays until the release of the Wallstreet PowerBook G3. IBM had been selling ThinkPads with 1024x768 displays for a few years before that. And Steve was noted as telling the PowerBook team at Apple in 1997 that they should be putting out a product as good or better than the IBM ThinkPad series... something that they would finally succeed in doing with the Wallstreet in 1998.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
iGary said:

Prolly has it all linked to a large plasma or something like that.

Why would Steve need a non-Apple machine for Pixar stuff? I thought Pixar used G5's for all their video stuff anyways! :eek:

[Edit: I am finally out of Newbie status. Woohoo!]

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think Steve has a bunch of machines at his disposal.

He has a PowerMac for heavy-duty work in the office...
...a PowerBook for the times he travels...
...a Mac mini for switching people...
...and at least 1 pre-release machine (more than 1 if Apple has more than one hardware update scheduled for release soon).

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
John Jacob said:
I thought Pixar used G5's for all their video stuff anyways! :eek:

When Jobs purchased Pixar from George Lucas he set it up as a hardware development and marketing company. While sales of hardware have mostly been dropped in favor of the more lucrative animation business Pixar still utilizes proprietary equipment for dissemination and editing of internal files. They do use G5s for SOME video work but certainly not all. Yes the G5 is a beefy machine but certain SG and SUN workstations are better suited for Pixars demands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.