Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will it be called?

• iPhone Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (name it!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Every year it seems to come up where others think Apple is going to use some marketing term like “Edition” or ”Pro” attached to an iPhone. Others have to remember there is nothing Pro about an iPhone. Its a device that makes and receives calls. And Apple is never going to use those terms attached to an iPhone and that’s been proven year after year.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

decder

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017
If the reports stating that Apple will discontinue current generation iPhone X when the 2018 model is released are accurate, wouldn't it make sense that the 2018 model will keep the same name?

iPhone X
iPhone X Plus

The rumoured LCD versio is more tricky. iPhone 9 would be my guess.

Reactions: "REVENGE"

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If the reports stating that Apple will discontinue current generation iPhone X when the 2018 model is released are accurate, wouldn't it make sense that the 2018 model will keep the same name?

iPhone X
iPhone X Plus.

No. That would be way too confusing to the consumer to have an iPhone with exact same title two years in a row. Apple again needs to show somehow the latest device indicating is the newest one, which will use the numbering system.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well we learned today a new rumor Apple reached an OLED display agreement with Samsung moving forward that will keep prices within reason and Apple most likely scraping any LCD version in the future.

I disagree with the bolded in your post. I think it very much is the likeliness that Apple will release another LCD iPhone, more specifically a 6.1 LCD iPhone X that has been rumored. It’s a cheaper alternative under OLED and with the possible removal of 3D Touch, it still offers Face ID. Being Apple has the best LCD displays in the smart phone industry, I would say that model will be very popular for those who don’t want the OLED price tag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.