What do you think the next iPhone will be called?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appview, Aug 9, 2010.

1. appview macrumors member

appview

I know it's a bit early to be thinking of the next iPhone seen as the i4 has only just come out but what do you think it will be called? iPhone 4G, iPhone 5, iPhone 5G?

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I seem to recall seeing this question before. That said, I think Apple will go with the iPhone 5. ;)

3. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Anyway... I was thinking about this earlier today, actually. My thought; the obvious choice is to continue the new convention and go with iPhone 5... but it's just not as snappy as iPhone 4.

Now if the next gen is 4G capable, I'm willing to bet it'll be the iPhone 4G... to be followed by something like iPhone 4G S or iPhone 6.

4. appview thread starter macrumors member

appview

Thats precisely what I was thinking!

5. frosse macrumors 6502a

Surely the next iPhone must carry 4G network capabilities and if it does iPhone 4G is the name. After that the iPhone will go with 5.

6. BlakeLiebenTH macrumors member

Personally, I think it will be called iPhone 5. Apple really needs to start using a uniform naming convention for the iPhone; it's been all over the place so far.

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have an iPhone 4 and 3GS and I love my phones, however I am really not too concerned about the next model, I am sure Apple's best creators with think of some way to out do the current model and if it is called iPhone 4GS or 5 or something else, people will still buy them.

I have had a lot of phones and been with every carrier, so far the iPhone 4 to me is the best and AT&T is great both in service and customer service, so I am happy where I am today :D

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

9. Rahstyles macrumors member

Rahstyles

10. karansaraf macrumors regular

I don't think it will be iPhone 5, because Apple are going to be releasing these every year for the forseeable (and even longer term) future and in 5 years time there's no way they're going to call their phones iPhone 10, iPhone 11 etc. So some sort of change to the nomenclature is going to have to be implemented.

I think it will be iPhone 4G (if as it should be, it is compatible with 4G networks). However for that to happen, there needs to be 4G networks put in place by phone companies.

11. Vizin macrumors 6502a

I wonder if they'll eventually drop the version indicator entirely, and just call it "iPhone". The iPhone is the only product they actually advertise that way.

Before the iPod classic was rebranded, they just called every new iPod "the new iPod", and only said first, second, third, etc. generation in support documents. The nano, shuffle, and touch are still done that way.

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I agree with those that say 4G or 4GS, depending upon the status of LTE and 4G networks.

I will not be surprised to see, if the exclusivity deal is truly ending for AT&T, a Verizon and T-Mobile iphone, so for those it will be tricky to guess the names. I do not think they will simply call it iphone 5, iphone 6 and iphone 7, etc... I also do not believe that the phone will have the same name across different wireless networks. I think Verizon's version would get a different name than AT&T's version and a different name from T-Mobile's version.

The wild card in all of this would be if Sprint and T-Mobile merge like rumors suggest. That would be interesting to say the least.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Well, with all the Verizon speculation, plus it's version "5", it will have to be the:

iPhone V

dontcha think?

(tongue halfway in cheek)

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm betting iPhone 5. Short and snappy. Then after this I think they'll drop the end of the name and call it simply iPhone, like the iPods. The iPhone's a big enough brand to know what it means on it's own.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It will be iPhone 5, for sure.

Why? Because the public associates iPhone 4 with 'Antenna problems.' There is NO WAY they'll call it the 4GS or the 4+ or the 4-Verizon or ANYTHING that even remotely ties it to the current phone.

It'll be the "5" simply because that's different from 4. After that, yeah, I think they'll drop the numbers and find new things to call them. No 6 or 7 or anything like that. But for this particular jump they'll have to do it.

16. Tyre macrumors regular

+1

I'm thinking iPhone 5. They won't drop it to just the iPhone because think back to the iOS 4 release when they told you which features would work on which phone. It would turn in to: Multitasking will work on the iPhone, but not that other iPhone. Sure they could say the 2010 iPhone, but Apple doesn't want to get into that.

Geeks can handle mid-March refreshed MBP, but everyday consumers would rather each edition have its own name.

17. timerollson macrumors 65816

I'd put money on it being called the iPhone 4 HD. Incremental upgrades but will I buy it? Yes. Yes I will.

18. Padraig macrumors 6502a

If the antenna story hadn't blown up and they'd finished work on a LTE model, then I'd have said iPhone 4G would have been obvious- followed by 4gs - but as it stands they may want to dissassociate themselves from iPhone 4. Like the iPod, i think they'll drop the suffix and simply call it iPhone. Can't see Apple releasing something called the iPhone 7 or iPhone 12 in a few years... It would be too ungainly.

Why, if anything that would have been the current model? I don't think they'll upgrade the screen for some time and they've already got HD video so the suffix is just drawing attention to features of the previous model. It'd be like calling the fifth gen iPod the iPod color.

19. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

20. Stein357 macrumors 6502

There wont be an iPhone 4S model because that means Apple didn't redesign the phone, just upgraded the internals, and they want to fix the antenna. So I'm guessing the next phone will be iPhone 5 and it will have the best antenna of them all.

21. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

22. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

iPhone F

F= Fixed or Five
    but then again...it could also means fail :D

23. EarthNeutron macrumors regular

EarthNeutron

iPhone YCRMPC(You can really make phone calls)

24. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

I see what you did there. :D