What do you think we'll see in future 3.0 updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nfl46, Jun 10, 2009.

1. nfl46 macrumors 603

3.0.1 will probably be a minor update to get out a few bugs.

I think we'll see Spotlight searching withing text messages.

I can't really think of anything else.

What do you think?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Some bug fixes mainly. Voice control and A2DP need a little work. "Play Sting" isn't the same as "Play Lady Antebellum," so that is a boo boo.

I would love to see options to turn off default apps like weather and stocks like you can the Nike+ app. Another wonderful feature would be the ability to move your apps around in iTunes instead of on the device. It's such a PITA to move them around one at a time, especially after a restore.

I can't think of much else. They hit a home run with 3.0 and the 3G S.

3. Doju macrumors 68000

Michael's +

Just plain 'ol more voice control functionality. Perhaps say, "Search for John" and the phone will bring up spotlight with that search open. Or speech to text as well for text messages, notes, etc. Perhaps say, "Write 'Hey John comma how's it going question-mark Glad to hear from you period Wanna catch a bite to eat question-mark'"

Also, perhaps non-linear video editing (meaning being able to edit from the middle and reconnect, for example, instead of just from the sides).

What else... perhaps a way to lock it in its orientation (portrait/landscape) until you do another thing to unlock it.

Flick to "throw" an app to the next page too when changing apps would be neat.

It'd be awesome to get push notifications in the status bar like Android. Maybe on the subject of the status bar be able to tap the WiFi/carrier symbol and toggle the options.

Not sure what we'll see, but I hope for some things above. Apple can make some rather simplistic (in my opinion) changes that would do a lot. I look forward to it, even if they're not in 3.0.

4. nfl46 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah, theres need to be an option to turn on/off landscape mode.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oddly enough I have yet to find any bugs in 3.0 other than a few times when copy and paste acts funny. Has anyone found any bugs that are easily reproducible?

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have found one that was prevalent when 2.0 came out and fixed about 2.1. The iPod function will lose (or forget) it's place in the play list when using other Apps. I sort my songs by date played and this is quit aggravating to me (since 2.0 I'm in the habit of using notes to mark my last song played). It also presents problems for people who use audio books.

7. mocque macrumors member

I would love to see flash on safari by 3.1....c'mon now we have the power on the iphone 3gs to handle that.

that would make me HAPPIER...

EDIT: also i would like to have an option to upload pictures to flickr and facebook directly from the photo albums just like they did with youtube using the videos.

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Maybe more customization options. Small things. Fixing and improving current Apps. Snappier Safari :D.

9. JRBTempe macrumors newbie

I'm still holding out hope for IMAP IDLE (push) support on the e-mail side... I had a Palm Pre for a couple weeks and it's the only thing I really loved about it, the instant notification of incoming e-mails. In addition to MobileMe and Yahoo, the Pre worked out of the box with AOL, Gmail and even my Dreamhost-hosted company accounts, no Exchange required. I don't understand why Apple can't add this, especially when their desktop Mail program already supports it!

Oh, and a unified e-mail inbox would be nice, while we're at it. Otherwise, I'm pretty content with 3.0 until some of the developers get caught up with push notifications and such...

10. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Fully agree with this as my company uses mailtrust for email and it is wonderful with the absolutely instantaneous notification of email. Too many people here confuse Push with IMAP IDLE.

11. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I just hopethey make it run faster on the 3G, runs slow for me it's annoying.

I also don't like the way mobilesafari renders pages and I can't get it to save passwords for every forum I visit, it won't save my username and password here for some reason.

12. nfl46 thread starter macrumors 603

I just wonder whats in store for 3.0. Its funny that we've got some much stuff in the 3.0 and the new iPhone, that we can't really think of any new things to add to it, besides hardware stuff.

Of course there's going to be MAJOR stuff added in 3.0, but I just wonder what. One thing I think Apple is going to add in 3.0, is the ability to customize the homescreen...like adding backgrounds, etc. Maybe they will add more pictures, b/c we've still got the SAME pictures since 1.0 or was it 2.0.

I think 3.0 is mostly going to be about customizability, which is long overdue, IMO.

13. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Too soon to say support for custom SMS sounds?

14. Doju macrumors 68000

That too.

Heck, customization in general. Hiding apps, changing background, notifications on lock screen (dang, that's a BIG one I forgot :p).

Oh, the ability to rename apps or change their app icon would be great too, but for legal reasons or whatever, I doubt it. For example, Beejive is awesome, but I'd prefer it to be called "IM" or something. My friend thought I had a bee farm. Icon is pretty silly too.