What do you think will be updated in the next rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adjeff8, Dec 6, 2012.

1. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Has anybody heard any rumors about the release of a 2nd generation 15" rMBP? A techi at Apple told me that Apple shot their wad with the early release of a 4th gen iPad and that they have no major product for March 2013. Therefor he believes that a 2nd gen rMBP will be the big March release. I, of course will never buy the 1st gen of anything, so I am anxiously waiting

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

The Apple "techi" doesn't know anything more than you or me, I guarantee it.

My answer: When Haswell chips come out from Intel, probably summer.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As the other poster said, it'll be out around a year after the last 15" rMBP was released.

4. the1337n00b macrumors newbie

What do you think will be updated in the next rMBP?

I'm looking to get the next gen. rMBP, and I'm wondering what you think will be new on the next version.

• Possibly of more storage?
    • When do you think it'll be updated? WWDC?

5. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

I'm in the same boat. I would never buy the first gen of anything. I actually just bought a 15" MBP, non retina. After 2 weeks I returned it for store credit. The display wasn't as sharp as my 4 year old MBP. I've decided that the retina is the one for me. But too many complaints about the first gen. I'll wait. Probably have a more accesable battery. Possibly upgradable. Maybe something newer than the quad i7 processor. Bigger storage? Eventually there will be a touchscreen feature, since I'm seeing Windows laptops that are touchscreen on TV commercials. (Didn't it used to be Apple as the innovators?)

6. the1337n00b macrumors newbie

I agree with never-first-gen-anything!
    I'm not so sure about a touch screen, though. I've watched Keynotes where they bash the touch screen feature on a vertical display because it tires out your arm. I think that's a Windows thing.
    What I'd love to see is more storage.. it's less appealing than the 500GB of SSD in the current MBP.
    Some bug fixes would be nice too.

Do you think it'll be summer?

7. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

The next release will probably be a month or two after haswell comes out, so most likely during late spring to early summer. I almost guarentee there will not be a march release of the 2nd gen rMbp.

8. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

I have a first-gen, and I have no complaints... sure, I'd prefer less scroll lag, and faster performance but...

I would bet money that the next gen Macbook Pro with Retina will have a faster processor, faster graphics, as-good-or-better battery life, and at the very most, the option for a Fusion drive. Man what I wouldn't give for 128gb SSD + 1TB 5400rpm HDD fusion drive in this puppy. If they deliver on that, I'm in for an upgrade.

9. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

I'm hearing March from a Apple employee. Off the record of course. March is a big product release month for Apple, and they have nothing to release. As far as touchscreen goes, it WILL happen, but probably not for a couple years. It would be something you could turn on and off, therefore you would use it maybe 15% of the time. But when you want to rotate a pic or something, you could have that option. It would be useful for some graphic designing.

----------

Actually, the same Apple employee who told me it would come out in March also told me about the fusion drive

10. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

1. Apple retail employees know nothing more than we know, he is guessing like everyone else. As far as the touchscreen goes that is very unlikely since apple has said they don't like the idea and that is what the ipad is for. You can easily rotate a pic with the trackpad.

2. The fusion drive won't happen in the rmbp for a couple reasons. The first is because the actual hdd probably won't fit inside because of the thickness and how much room it takes up. The second reason it won't appear in the rmbp is because apple is moving away from the traditional hdd in laptops and is going to all SSD storage.

11. dragonev macrumors member

My biggest concern in waiting for 2nd gen is that they might withdraw discrete graphics since Haswell will boost the integrated. I own the first gen and have to say it is a fabulous machine. I have had no issues with it whatsoever.

12. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

apple could theoretically update the rmbp in february for a processor bump,
    with using the same ivy bridge until haswell come out in late 2013

13. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

I'm going with Tankmaze here. What the techi explained, in hushed tones, is that the March quarterly release is always a big deal, and with the releases of the iPad 4, the mini, the iPhone 5 and the iMac, apple kind of shot their wad. Of course it's possible that in March they could release the Mac Pro, but it can only be one of the two

14. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

A guy can hope. All I know is I got 2 Apple cards with $2165 on them. My 4 year old MBP is pissing me off and I'm holding on for dear life waiting for the 2nd gen retina. No spinning HDs for me

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At the very least it will be the intel haswell chipsets, perhaps a minor bump in storage space or least slightly cheaper pricing for the larger SSD.

I don't see apple doing anything major to the rMBP given that it was released this year.

If you need one now, I'd say buy one now. Its a great computer and I've had zero problems as many people have. There is no real design flaw AFAIK, its a great computer

16. Zauberer macrumors regular

I don't think touch screen is coming to Apple laptops. The only way I'd ever consider it useful is on those convertible Lenovo laptops, but even then it looks like an awkward device.

Hopefully more storage in the next generation, though I'm not sure how much SSD storage costs have changed in the last year.

My prediction is that the next gen rMBP will be released when Haswell is released, especially since that will be a nice graphics bump for the 13" model.

17. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Haswell. Nothing else.

Haswell will double the performance of the IGP 2x from Ivy Bridge and CPU gains will be around 10-20%. Intel is moving to the 22nm architecture and that provides much faster CPU's with smaller footprints/less heat/less energy usage.

Maybe SSD will double in size for the same price, but that's it.

18. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Seriously, who wants a touchscreen laptop?

Wiping various oils and bits of lunch off my iPhone is easy enough, just rub it on the shirtsleeve a couple of times. Not so much on even an 11" MBA, let alone my cMBP-15. And can you imagine how annoying it will be to pay for, apply, reapply, and have to look at a $45 "screen protector" every day, for several hours? And that's for one with no fingerprint smudges. Consider what that experience will actually be like - no thanks.

----------

Wouldn't count on the FUD. Where would they put it?

19. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

Some believe the march release will be apples television that has been rumored for a while.

20. Stetrain, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would expect a Summer release, timed of course after the availability of the relevant Haswell chips.

Apple isn't going to update a product a month or two before new processors are available just to fill a slot in the calendar, no matter what the 'in-the-know' Apple retail employee seems to think.

21. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's an interesting point. It's definitely where Apple is going IMHo. But I don't think they will do it quite yet.

22. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

You Sir make a good point. Anyway, that's years down the road. I'm ready to buy now, but I just won't spend $2200+ on a first generation anything. I may be a big paranoid baby, but I just won't do it. I didn't have the 1st gen iPhone or iPad, and at that price I'm not about to start now. Even if the only upgrade is double drive, that's reason enough for me

23. iPersian macrumors regular

my guess is the the MBPr will be updated BEFORE summer since intels release map states june as the latest.

my guess and hope is that the ssd will be doubled also.