What do you think?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by waloshin, Apr 12, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Is there too much of something, while not enough of another?
    What about the color scheme? Too much of one color...

Site: http://waloshin.com/

2. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Not bad. I think there are some changes to be made though:

1. Align the text and pictures (excerpt-thumb)

2. The breadcrumb at the top should not be there on home also give it some room to seperate it with the other stuff

3. Look into a more readable font maybe? not sure

3. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I just think theres too much of gray. :(

I like the way the page appears to be above the background, a lot of designers are doing that lately.

4. waloshin, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

What font and what size?

What font should I use and what size?

Mine was at 12 point, but I found that too small. 14 point seems to be fine.

Also what header looks better?

A) [​IMG]

B) [​IMG]

5. 76ShovelHead, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I like 'A' best. I don't like B's font. Also, I noticed something, A-LOT of pro websites I see on the internet have fuzzy images. Well, I know it's important to keep download time fast. I just can't live with it! But that's just me.

EDIT
    Font size depends on how much you want your logo to be noticed. Of course, do it respectively. Meaning nothing too big and daunting. If brand recognition isn't that important to you, then the size you have right now is great. I generally use 36 and or 26 for personal pages. But for my business I use 60. Honestly though, I think you should keep A, and bump it up to 14 like B.

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

This is what I have now:

[​IMG]

7. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

8. RedCroissant Suspended

Nice

1. I think that your website is great but due to the font color and the background color, your content doesn't stand out enough. Make the background a little brighter.

2. I think the website icons overpower your blog name due to their size, color, and location. I would recommend moving them into the title section but align them to the right beneath the search box and decrease their size. That way, people see your blog name first.

3. I think the "pin it" icon should be next to the "share" icon and also aligned to the right side of the picture.

4. This is a little thing, but the location of the "Leave Comment" below that line could lead people to think that it would be leaving a comment for the next post as opposed the one it actually corresponds to.

Other than those four things I pointed out; it's great.

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Depend on your target demo... some like clean and free of distractions, some like dark and busy, so know that this is a personal observation and take it with the spirit in which it was given.
    The site is just boring.
    Nothing caught my eye, nothing to keep me on the site. Not even an attempt at some kind of logo.
    Seems to have no real structure, things are all over the place. Links, graphics, text seem to be plunked down where the template has them.
    The color there now is dull but easy on the eyes.
    I think ads should not interrupt the flow of the site like that Nikon ad does. Very distracting and just ads to the helter-skelter design.
    The social media links are a focus. Sure you want that? Perhaps send them off to the right instead of having that the first thing people notice.
    The nav links are dreadful.
    So what do I personally like about the site? That magnifying glass search icon is nice. I'd look for a new CSS template.

10. schimmel macrumors member

schimmel

You seem very engaged in your website. As such, I think you need to start from scratch, not just tweak a little here and a little there.

To be honest, I don't think you have a solid ground to stand on. The site lacks structure and hierarchy, it's not clear what it's about, there are way too much ads and it all just looks very very cluttered. The images are scaled so that they have become blurry and showing compression artifacts. You have a "Pin it" function by each image it seems. It's not exactly a site about beauty or where you try to create aesthetically pleasing images, so I don't see why it would be so likely for anyone to add the images to Pinterest.

Look at a few sites that have won prices or drawn a lot of attention, and see what's good about them. I find a lot of inspiration from Google searches like "Great looking websites of 2011". For example: http://blog.triphp.com/design/top-15-best-looking-websites-of-2011.html

Start with creating good content, then a good design, THEN you can put some ads in there. At the moment, it just seems like a cheap way to try and make some extra cash.

Sorry to be rash, but considering the number of "what do you think"-requests you've made it just seems like you want traffic to make a few more cents off the ads. If you're serious about the blog, do some serious changes.

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Ouch.

But yes.

12. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I'm really sorry, but I kinda agree. The ads really steal the show, and the gray is just too much. Also the icons you use (OS X Tiger) look very out of place.

You should have no problem scrapping and rebuilding while keeping some of the main elements of the site you like- I love improving my sites every way I can.

Just remember, bold colors are IN now-a-days. As is simplistic design and minimalism. So find like two colors that just pop together and mix it in with a while simplistic background or a really nice pattern of some sort.

13. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Not enough colour looks very plain and takes a surprisingly long time to load on my iPad maybe some optimisation is in order.

14. clemsonhomerun macrumors newbie

Be original...

Seems like everyone wants to have a site just to have a site and try to make money some off of ads. Are there already not a million "review" sites out there?

Listen people, not everyone has to have a website.